TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VMP Pulley without tuning on a 2012?

Freak

Hey guys,

I recently read a post by Justin at VMP, that stated a tune wasn't needed to put a pulley on a 10+. I assume it has something to do with those years being equipped with wideband O2's.

Has anyone here done a pulley without a tune? What kind of gains are you seeing? Is it any more or less safe than with a tune? Has anyone had any problems?

Now, I realize that tuning will still be beneficial, and I still haven't made up my mind about this yet. Plus I know I'll need a tuner if I end up getting different size tires, or a gear change. At this point I'm just gathering information.

Thanks in advance

Troy

Hey guys,

I recently read a post by Justin at VMP, that stated a tune wasn't needed to put a pulley on a 10+. I assume it has something to do with those years being equipped with wideband O2's.

Thats the first i've heard of this. Never heard of anyone swapping pulleys and not getting a tune for it. Not saying that you can't do it, but i've just never heard of it

Thats the first i've heard of this. Never heard of anyone swapping pulleys and not getting a tune for it. Not saying that you can't do it, but i've just never heard of it

I'd never heard of it before I read this post either.

I can't tell you how many times I reread that post to se if I might have read it wrong. I've searched around and didn't find a single thing about it other than that. I imagine very few have done a pulley witout a tune, because it seems few know it can be done.

I can say I had my pulley on for a day while waiting for a tune to come in the email on my 2012. While I didn't thrash it, the difference between, stock, pulley no tune, and pulley tune are considerable at each step. The pulley with no tune brought in a bit more needle movement on the boost gauage and pickup was accentuated over stock. It seemed as if the mid came on quicker. Once the Jon Lund tune was installed, it was greatly different. The car pulled from the start, evenly and brutally through the low and mid range. It seems as if the boost gauge is reading higher with the tune then prior to it. It could also be because I never really spun it up without the tune.

I can say I had my pulley on for a day while waiting for a tune to come in the email on my 2012. While I didn't thrash it, the difference between, stock, pulley no tune, and pulley tune are considerable at each step. The pulley with no tune brought in a bit more needle movement on the boost gauage and pickup was accentuated over stock. It seemed as if the mid came on quicker. Once the Jon Lund tune was installed, it was greatly different. The car pulled from the start, evenly and brutally through the low and mid range. It seems as if the boost gauge is reading higher with the tune then prior to it. It could also be because I never really spun it up without the tune.

Thanks a ton, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Did Justin say why the 10+ don't need a tune, and the 07-09's do? Maybe a more aggressive tune from the start? I know air is metered differently on the 11-12.

He didn't say anything more than it wasn't needed. At least not in that thread. Like I said I haven't found much info on the subject. You can't really search for "pulley without tune" because it brings up everything with the words pulley and tune in it.

I seem to remember reading that the 2010's were the first with knock sensors, might have something to do with that. Or maybe they figured people were gonna throw pulleys on 'em and so they decided to adjust the tune to allow for that.

I think my previous guess of the wideband O2's being a factor was wrong, because, as you pointed out, the 11-12 has them, but I don't believe the 10 does...

EDIT: I was just looking at the VMP site, and noticed that it specifies the 07-09 must use a CAI as well as a tune if they get a pulley. I wonder if the MAF is larger on the 10+ because of the factory CAI. If the MAF gets maxed out when using a pulley on the 07-09's it might explain the difference.

What is it on the 07-09?

Actually I was thinking about this, and it wouldn't even have to be physically too small, it would only have to max the reading out, and it could start leaning out the motor.

Some guys are more scared of tuning a car than pulleying it, warranty wise, so thats why i threw out there that you can do a pulley and no tune on a 10+. Of course the results are much better with tuning.

The reason why...

10+ have a CAI, bigger maf, plenty of range from the factory. The PCM sees the extra airflow, adds more fuel, everything is fine.

07-09 have that airbox, which is practically pegging the maf with a stock pulley, so adding extra airflow is a no-no as a pegged maf won't detect it and won't add fuel.

Some guys are more scared of tuning a car than pulleying it, warranty wise, so thats why i threw out there that you can do a pulley and no tune on a 10+. Of course the results are much better with tuning.

The reason why...

10+ have a CAI, bigger maf, plenty of range from the factory. The PCM sees the extra airflow, adds more fuel, everything is fine.

07-09 have that airbox, which is practically pegging the maf with a stock pulley, so adding extra airflow is a no-no as a pegged maf won't detect it and won't add fuel.

Thanks Justin. Have you done any pulley only '11-12's? just wondering what the gains might be.

Either way you'll probably be getting an order from me shortly.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67373-tuning-the-kr/

This might help in your thought process of tune or no. It's the sensors that need to be increased to handle the larger volume of air on the 07-09 Gt500. Apparently the 10+ has the larger sensors.

Regardless, it's a good read! Hope it helps!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Justin. Have you done any pulley only '11-12's? just wondering what the gains might be.

Either way you'll probably be getting an order from me shortly.

I did it for a magazine article a while back, i think we saw 20-30rwhp. With a tune you should see about 50-70rwhp overall.

Archived