TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Owner

I bought my GT 500 from a Mustang re seller in town that stated that they bought the car from the dealer in Gainesville and it was never titled. Just for the heck of it I ran a Carfax on my car today and it showed up as follows: 12/03/06 Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer. 2/06/07 Sold at auction in Florida. Listed as a dealer vehicle. 197 miles. 02/09/07 Title issued or updated. First owner reported vehicle color as white, and it lists a title number.

I should have run a Carfax on it from the beginning and should have waited and got one from a dealer and I got this car at a price I've since seen one in another local dealer. I hate to have second thoughts about the deal but I do. When I get my title will it show up as "Second Owner"? Not that I want to sell this car anytime soon but do you feel it lowers the value? I just feel like I was cheated and don't feel good about that. Please let me hear your thoughts-

I bought my GT 500 from a Mustang re seller in town that stated that they bought the car from the dealer in Gainesville and it was never titled. Just for the heck of it I ran a Carfax on my car today and it showed up as follows: 12/03/06 Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer. 2/06/07 Sold at auction in Florida. Listed as a dealer vehicle. 197 miles. 02/09/07 Title issued or updated. First owner reported vehicle color as white, and it lists a title number.

I should have run a Carfax on it from the beginning and should have waited and got one from a dealer and I got this car at a price I've since seen one in another local dealer. I hate to have second thoughts about the deal but I do. When I get my title will it show up as "Second Owner"? Not that I want to sell this car anytime soon but do you feel it lowers the value? I just feel like I was cheated and don't feel good about that. Please let me hear your thoughts-

If you bought it as an investment - I'd be upset.

If you bought it for a fun car - I'd be upset

Sounds like it has some miles on it, I would be most concerned about the clutch and brakes. If you had 197 miles or more to put on a car with 500hp that you were not planning on owning, how would you drive it?

Congrats on the car, hope it's all good once you start digging more.

Many here will tell you they would be upset I think. To me it's a car....now it's your car and that's all that matters. Some day in 50 yrs it may mean you get 20K less at the auction but as far as driving it and that - no one could do anything more than you will do yourself so my advice is be glad you got one and enjoy it. If an issue for warranty work comes up you may want to show your research to the dealer if the try to say no for any reason. Other than that - it would be a mild annoyance but forgotten when you turn the key.

I would take issue if they intentionally misrepresented the car, but 147 miles isn't too bad. The important part regarding future value is to be able to document the chain of custody in detail (who, when, where). That will have a greater impact on resale value than whether or not you're the first owner. If nothing else, see if the dealer can provide as much documentation regarding it's history. Do it soon while everything is still fresh.

We've sold two "used" GT500's at the same price as new ones. One was similarly titled with less than 50 miles, however the original customer never took actual delivery. This was also disclosed to the eventual buyer, and a detailed chain of custody could be established and documented. This is a little bit different from your situation in that there were hardly any miles, but the point being that the issue of being first or second owner wasn't really a factor.

I wouldn't worry about it! Maybe you'll find out that it was owned by someone famous. Nobody on this site would complain if it was owned by someone at Shelby Autos. I bought mine from a drag racer in Michigan, he didn't race the shelby but I bought it used. It had 1000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier with the car. Some of the highest priced cars at Barrett Jackson were from old race car drivers that I never knew way back when.

Just enjoy the car!

Randy

Welcome to the forum. :happy feet: We are sure glad that you found us. :yup: You got the car with under 200 miles. Don't sweat it dude. Have a blast with your car. Let it go and never turn back. To get your mind off of it, personalize the car a little bit. Make it yours. Add a couple mods. It does not have to be something big.

It's all about having fun. :) When I took mine out today it had 222 miles on it. Now it's got 297. :shift: It's a very nice car.......but it is just a car. Do not lose sleep over the 197 mile 2nd owner thing. You are the only one that knows...........so forget it and drive it.:shift:

Need some ideas on some mods? :rolleyes: I have almost finished putting mine all on. The mods make the car so much more enjoyable and they are fun to tinker with. :play: I am addicted to them and will be getting more. :spiteful: Again...Welcome!

A lot of people that can't get a Shelby, might say be damn glad you got it. No whining. :redcard:

I thought Ford edicted against selling any GT500s through resellers under their option to preclude that in the Franchise Agreement.... so that either dealer violated their FA or it actually was titled previously.

Either way their lying to someone.

But, either way, congratulations and enjoy!!!

Congratulation!

I guess Grabber says it best. These are cars that are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Less than 200 miles is still very low milage in my book. Personally, I am a second owner who purchased my car with about 1800 miles on it. Still, I do consider myself very lucky to now own one.

Enjoy your new ride!

Does the report show multiple owners or just the title updates? I ran some reports on some of my cars and the report should show "owner1", "owner2" with mileage ect.. across the top of it. I think the dealer can do some updates and changes to titles(maybe as they buy/trade cars) that does not count as being a new owner.

Thanks to all of you. I really love this forum. The Carfax never lists any one as the owner just "Title Issued" and "First Owner". I'll let you all know when I get my title from DMV what is says. I hope I'm just read the carfax report wrong. Thank you all for welcoming me to your forum, I feel very lucky and welcome.

Archived