TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Rear Lower Control Arm Installed

A few weeks ago I installed my new lower control arms that I purchased during one of the last sales. The whole install took about 1 1/2 hours. This was done at my car club on the lift by myself. It would have taken less time with the help of a friend but at the time they were working and I was on second shift. The extra hand would come in handy because when you remove the existing lower control arm the rear end lowers and moves backwards. I used an underhoist safety stand to keep the rear from dropping but I had to use a bar to pull the axle forward to bolt in the control arm. The new arms are lighter and stronger than the ones originally installed. No, I do not know how much less the garage does not have a scale. - Kevin

DSC02645A.JPGDSC02649A.JPG

DSC02645A.JPG

DSC02649A.JPG

That is our emergency brake cable that is routed through the opening. It's routed that way on our existing control arms. Attached is a picture of the existing control arm with the brake cable disconnected. The first generation lower control arms sold by Shelby were solid with no openings. - Kevin

DSC02644A.JPG

DSC02644A.JPG

A few weeks ago I installed my new lower control arms that I purchased during one of the last sales. The whole install took about 1 1/2 hours. This was done at my car club on the lift by myself. It would have taken less time with the help of a friend but at the time they were working and I was on second shift. The extra hand would come in handy because when you remove the existing lower control arm the rear end lowers and moves backwards. I used an underhoist safety stand to keep the rear from dropping but I had to use a bar to pull the axle forward to bolt in the control arm. The new arms are lighter and stronger than the ones originally installed. No, I do not know how much less the garage does not have a scale. - Kevin

DSC02645A.JPGDSC02649A.JPG

cool looking parts and nice clean underside

now what about that rusty but

I finally just installed mine the other day after ordering them and a bunch of other stuff during that same sale. Panhard bar & brace, driveshaft loop, and adjustable UCA were installed a while back. Been waiting for the relocation brackets before doing the LCA install, but since I kept forgetting to order the relocation brackets, I just went ahead and installed the LCAs since I've been tracking the car. Figured even without the brackets, the arms alone are still an upgrade, so may as well get them installed. Brackets have now been ordered and should be a pretty easy install, and I expect to get them before the next track outing.

Oh, one other thing, for those who are planning on doing this mod, pay attention to the part in the instructions that says to only do one side at a time and support the axle. That way, the axle doesn't move, and the bolts easily line up when instaling the new LCA. I actually did it on my storage lift, with the tires mounted, so it was fully loaded for the torquing of the bolts. Those front LCA bolts were fun to get torqued to 130 while sitting on the lift - virtually no clearance. :banghead:

I ran my e-brake cable under the LCA, as it was too tight running it through the LCA. However, I may have to run it through or over once I install the relocation brakets and get the back end of the LCA down closer to level.

Archived