TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby package for Boss coming?

swa737

Actually, I so hope not -- seriously

The BOSS is sacred Ford ground, imo.

A 'Shelby' BOSS would be like a Shelby Porsche or a Shinoda 'BOSS' (or Shinoda Porsche -lol) or WCC BOSS, etc. Just seems so wrong.

There will inevitably be aftermarket parts for the BOSS but that is one car I'd be loath to mod into another *brand* vs specific Ford/FRPP-engineered enhancements.

Now, if we're talking fully-built 5.0 BOSS motors with a FRPP TVS, that would not be my thing on a BOSS but I can understand it, but serious engine work is not Shelby's forte anyway and would simply be a 'built' BOSS, not a Shelby BOSS or XYZ BOSS, etc.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one but it just would seem so very wrong to desecrate the BOSS with *any* other brand-adder and serial number..

Anyhow, at least it should make for some interesting discussion here -lol ;)

Since there was one 'G' code '69 GT-350 built with a Boss 302 engine installed underhood, there is a precedent for such a thing. A new GT, or GT-H with the new Boss engine would be a pretty cool thing to see hit the streets!

I think Shelby has their plate loaded now and should focus on getting their builds done on the GT-350 and GTS Mustangs and thier mod shop stuff.

You can over saturate the market............. I'm still not sure if I like the BOSS or not. I know I don't care for the BOSS-LS.

GG

Ford did a great job on the foundation, but the stock Boss still has performance issues that need to be corrected for it to be all it can be...

Who else but Shelby has the knowledge and resources to cater to this niche of enthusiasts who want their Boss at its best?

Ford did a great job on the foundation, but the stock Boss still has performance issues that need to be corrected for it to be all it can be...

Who else but Shelby has the knowledge and resources to cater to this niche of enthusiasts who want their Boss at its best?

I don't know. Carroll Shelby was my idol when I was growing up as a teen -- following all of his driving conquests and eventually his realtionship with Ford -- from the GT40 to the GT350R and GT500 production, etc.

Today, however, SA has neiter the resources (hopefully they'll turn their recent operating losses around this year) nor the engineering knowledge (they're essentially an aftermarket updiffter using FRPP and other aftermarket parts) but they really don't have the engineering knowledge/talent like and FRPP or Roush (who together did vitually all the engine development on the 5.0-based GT350 for Shelby).

Still I can understand the desire for the Shelby cachet on a BOSS (even tho that would no be my thing as sated earlier) but besides bolting on others aftermarket parts and doing some styling tweaks (which would not lilely be true aero improvements in the Computational Fluid Dynamics modelling sense) I don't see and significant contribution beyond such mods and re-branding.

Maybe I'm just seeing this one wrong, but it makes little sense to me. The BOSS engine -- right off the showroom floor -- is what's winning in the SCCA Conti series (except the racer actually has to run a restrictor plate whereas the street BOSS is all 444 crank HP).

If we're talking reace-prep, there's the BOSS-S (generic race prep) and the BOSS R/R1 (SCCA series prep) available from Ford ...the BOSS r1 is what's winning in the Conti Series.

Maybe it would make sense for Shelby to do some track mods (like the BOSS-S) but in the context of a post-retail VIN'd street car (vs a serial'd BOSS-S or R/R1 racer), but aside from workig off a different base (the BOSS).

What might be better may be to stuff BOSS 5.0s into the GTS for a wonderfully high-revving NA version ...but that would require Ford providing 5.0s in BOSS trim to Shelby, Alternatively, Shelby could get into built 5.0s in the GTS -- no BOSS required.

I guess that's why I just don't see the BOSS as a base for Shelby, but, hey, if folks want a post-retail Shelby 'BOSS' there'd be nothing stopping Shelby from doing it -- whatever that would actually mean.

I know of one LS that has already been modded by a respected shop and picked up power as well as getting suspension mods and a more streetable front splitter, so there is still more to be had out of an already outstanding package.

I know of one LS that has already been modded by a respected shop and picked up power as well as getting suspension mods and a more streetable front splitter, so there is still more to be had out of an already outstanding package.

You are correct. There is more to be had on a Great foundation.

Roger

Maybe I'm just seeing this one wrong, but it makes little sense to me. The BOSS engine -- right off the showroom floor -- is what's winning in the SCCA Conti series (except the racer actually has to run a restrictor plate whereas the street BOSS is all 444 crank HP).

If we're talking reace-prep, there's the BOSS-S (generic race prep) and the BOSS R/R1 (SCCA series prep) available from Ford ...the BOSS r1 is what's winning in the Conti Series.

The Boss R is for the Grand Am Continental series, second place in points with several wins

Boss S, currently leading the SCCA World Challenge series.

Ford sells Boss 302's over the counter so, why wouldnt they sell to Shelby?

I remember that Shelby ran one of the Boss race teams.

That being said, Where is the GT350R???? :rant2:

:hysterical:

Boss R = GRAND-AMERICAN Continental Challenge series, NOT SCCA. oh the pain.....!!!

:rant2::rant2::finger:

It's ok, I'll forgive you :hysterical:

However, Shelby has TONS of history with the Boss. I think it would be awsome, but I don't think that we'll see it.

This is the Trans-Am Mustang run in 1969 by Shelby American, driven by Peter Revson. This was the last Shelby entry in Trans-Am. I know, not a Shelby, but this car was run by Shelby Racing.

2009_Barber_006.jpg

The Boss R is for the Grand Am Continental series, second place in points with several wins

The BOSS racers that Ford sells over the counter are not street legal ...no VIN, just a serial number.

But Ford could certainly build vanilla VIN's BOSSes for Shelby to mod, but I think we've seen the end of that aspect of the Ford Shelby relationship with the KR.

Boss R = GRAND-AMERICAN Continental Challenge series, NOT SCCA. oh the pain.....!!!

:rant2::rant2::finger:

It's ok, I'll forgive you :hysterical:

However, Shelby has TONS of history with the Boss. I think it would be awsome, but I don't think that we'll see it.

This is the Trans-Am Mustang run in 1969 by Shelby American, driven by Peter Revson. This was the last Shelby entry in Trans-Am. I know, not a Shelby, but this car was run by Shelby Racing.

2009_Barber_006.jpg

lol hmmmm :headscratch: ...ior some reason I thought the GrandAm and the ContiChallenge series were SCCA sanctioned programs ...guess not ...my bad.

Too many memories of chasing Parnelli and George's escapades with a camera back in the day, I guess ;-)

btw, cool pic!!:happy feet:

Grand American is a division of Nascar. The current Continental Challenge series was born out of what was once the Motorola Cup run out of Canada back in the 90's. The Rolex Series was born out of what was once the USRRC (United States Road Racing Championship) which was a division of SCCA Pro back in the 90's until it was purchased by members of the France family and others until a couple years ago when it was fully acquired by Nascar Inc. I worked as a tech official for SCCA Pro from 1990 through 2001 with Trans-Am, USRRC, and World Challenge. I then moved over to Grand-Am in 2004. So my checks come from Nascar, which is nice. Don't have to worry about those not being good. I worked for a small formula car series called Formula Renault from 2001-2003 that we did have to worry about if the checks were going to clear. The mid 90's with Trans-Am was a blast when the Mustangs were dominating. 1997 with TK winning in the Mountain Dew Mustang all but one race was pretty amazing to be a part of. (These are just part time weekend fun jobs!) Getting paid to travel and play with race cars is a cool gig for sure!

Sorry for the side convo......Just clearing the series facts! :hysterical:

Grand American is a division of Nascar. The current Continental Challenge series was born out of what was once the Motorola Cup run out of Canada back in the 90's. The Rolex Series was born out of what was once the USRRC (United States Road Racing Championship) which was a division of SCCA Pro back in the 90's until it was purchased by members of the France family and others until a couple years ago when it was fully acquired by Nascar Inc. I worked as a tech official for SCCA Pro from 1990 through 2001 with Trans-Am, USRRC, and World Challenge. I then moved over to Grand-Am in 2004. So my checks come from Nascar, which is nice. Don't have to worry about those not being good. I worked for a small formula car series called Formula Renault from 2001-2003 that we did have to worry about if the checks were going to clear. The mid 90's with Trans-Am was a blast when the Mustangs were dominating. 1997 with TK winning in the Mountain Dew Mustang all but one race was pretty amazing to be a part of. (These are just part time weekend fun jobs!) Getting paid to travel and play with race cars is a cool gig for sure!

Sorry for the side convo......Just clearing the series facts! :hysterical:

Thanks so much for the insights, Jeff!

A lot more makes sense now realizing those series are under NASCAR. It explains how GM has been able to sandbag the Camaros in the Conti series to get huge concessions (6.2 vs 5.0, much lighter minimum weight for Camaro vs Mustang, and no restrictor plate for Camaro -doh!). I was commenting to a friend at Lime Rock how it seemed GM had some inside clout with SCCA, but now realizing it's NASCAR, that all makes more sense. Meanwhile the new BOSS got *another* 50# penalty this year and while the 70% restrictor from the prior 'cammer' 5.0 was changed to what is believed to be a 90% restrictor (every team I spoke to said they don't even know) on the new BOSS 302, the Chevy displacement is 24% larger *and* no restrictor -doh! As soon GM was told they're not getting any more concessions, miraculously the Camaro's became instantly competitive -- the mark of the true sandbagger. Anyhow, this all makes much more sense now, thanks! Also we've noticed how 'brand' has been sucked out of this series (again, just like NASCAR), so that fits too. At least they're still door slammers -lol- not CF clones with just different paint and engines :hysterical: Cheers... -Dan

A Shelby-sposored BOS 302 in the COnti series would be very cool and wouldhelp restore a lot of Shelby cred, imo, but Roush and Multimatic will certainly be tough competitors, not to mention the off-brand (lol) competition ;)

My Shelby American Stockholder intuition tells me that I'd rather have SA put effort into doing more with the GT350 than adding a set of BOSS 302 mods.

However, there may be a hint as to their intentions. I'd be curious to see a sneak peek at Roger's registration. :)

A lot more makes sense now realizing those series are under NASCAR. It explains how GM has been able to sandbag the Camaros in the Conti series to get huge concessions (6.2 vs 5.0, much lighter minimum weight for Camaro vs Mustang, and no restrictor plate for Camaro -doh!).

You really didn't go there did you? :) My buddy who is the technical director for GA honestly does not play like that. It is a very difficult job trying to keep the parity for sure. Chyrsler has actually received way more concessions than both Ford and Chevy trying to help them to get the Challenger competitive. It hasn't been able to get there, but hopefully it will someday. Always a very difficult task. Would be awsome to see a Shelby back in racing again someday. So I would love to see a Shelby Boss come play!

Seriously?????

Do you really believe what you just said?

Shelby is the only company that can make a Boss better?????

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid Bro.

Have you heard of the "Red Key"

Please be more specific with the "issues" that need to be addressed and I would appreciate facts rather than accusations.

For the record, I have both cars and in a straight line my Whippled GT500 whips the Boss but start turning combined with the lack of heat soak makes the Boss a pretty impressive all round car......in stock form.

Once I have the track key program it should up the ante even more.

You really didn't go there did you? :) My buddy who is the technical director for GA honestly does not play like that. It is a very difficult job trying to keep the parity for sure. Chyrsler has actually received way more concessions than both Ford and Chevy trying to help them to get the Challenger competitive. It hasn't been able to get there, but hopefully it will someday. Always a very difficult task. Would be awsome to see a Shelby back in racing again someday. So I would love to see a Shelby Boss come play!

I'm sure it's no simple task ;) ...just seems so unfair ...and trying to make cars 'even' based on prior performance is the ideal formula for sandbagging -lol- ...no matter how conscientious the sanctioning body. Oh, well. Life is never simple these days, I guess ;-)

Seriously?????

Do you really believe what you just said?

Shelby is the only company that can make a Boss better?????

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid Bro.

Have you heard of the "Red Key"

Please be more specific with the "issues" that need to be addressed and I would appreciate facts rather than accusations.

For the record, I have both cars and in a straight line my Whippled GT500 whips the Boss but start turning combined with the lack of heat soak makes the Boss a pretty impressive all round car......in stock form.

Once I have the track key program it should up the ante even more.

Howdy, Kaylan ...how are ya? You got a BOSS!! Awesome and congrats!! -Dan

I gave up on that one ........... :rip:

Seriously????? Yes

Do you really believe what you just said? Yes

Shelby is the only company that can make a Boss better????? Your choice... but I would rather have an SAI modified Boss, than an ABC speed shop version.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid Bro. Not my beverage of choice. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis!

Have you heard of the "Red Key" Yes. Many, many, many times... Don't have yours yet either I see?

Please be more specific with the "issues" that need to be addressed and I would appreciate facts rather than accusations. If you've been tracking yours hard (as some others have) and paying attention to various forums (including the Boss 302 Forum above... the one you are a member of) then you know some owners are reporting stock brake fade, engine and transmission overheating leading to limp mode, etc.

For the record, I have both cars and in a straight line my Whippled GT500 whips the Boss but start turning combined with the lack of heat soak makes the Boss a pretty impressive all round car......in stock form. 100% in agreement... that's why I think the Boss is a great starting point!

Once I have the track key program it should up the ante even more. Yes, absolutely... as long as the above weaknesses are corrected!

For the record, I have my deposit in place for a 2013... Oh, and here's my license plate...

ScreenShot006.jpg

Archived