TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire?

Madlock

In the midst of my wheel and tire melange, the notion of a spare has crossed my mind - and how completely uncomfortable I happen to be with the current trend toward weight (and cost) saving "Mobility Kits". On your $80 steel Fiesta rims? Fine. On a 2-ton torque factory with wheels nearing $1,000 to replace alone, no thanks.

I've decided upon a set of dedicated touring wheels/tires. Even beyond daily driving, these will be the shoes meant for interstate runs away from home where the car will be driven, not "run". I'd actually come across a good set of incredibly-priced appropriately-sized run-flats, but even with the technology having improved so dramatically, I've yet to come across a set of RFs that come anywhere near the driving comfort and silence of a quality performance-rated all-season tire.

So a conventional spare keeps sounding better and better - even with the extra weight (which again, won't be meant for the track where weight matters and the car can be serviced quickly on-site). I was excited to see scores of relatively inexpensive alternatives for light-duty emergency spares which would fit unobtrusively within the trunk compartment and work well enough, cheaply enough to be ideal.

Then it struck me - caliper clearance, and the fact that no spares are likely to have been stamped with Brembos in-mind. That leaves the notion, albeit a dear one, of a Ford Racing SVTPP look alike with a generic 27" diameter tire mounted to it. Hell, it even wouldn't look bad.

I love the idea, but the cost is simply too high to rationalize (I know.... until I blow-out my first tire). What I'm hoping to discover are any spare wheel/tire options anybody may know of that provides sufficient caliper clearance to be the cheap and cheerful option I'm hoping for.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the stock GT500 brakes, you can find an inexpensive tire/wheel combo at Tire Rack to fit. I would get the lightest wheel I could afford, and probably the cheapest tire too!

Archived