TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New McLeod RXT - Chatter/Rattle

TexasShelby

Just had my new RXT and flywheel installed and from what I've read I'm supposed to do a 500 mile easy city driving. That an excercise in patience for sure.

But I have noticed at 2800 rpm there is a chatter/rattle. It goes to 4000 rpm, but I haven't taken it above that to see if it ends, it actually sounds a lot like an old mechanical speedo or tach cable that's about to die, but with about 200 miles on it and I took it for another drive this morning, it doesn't seem to be as pronounced nor last as long. Now 2800 rpm to 3500. I haven't taken it above 4000.

Have any ideas what it might be?

Just finished the break-in period (was that a lesson in patience or what - good luck LOL!), mine's been completely quiet since install. Very light feel compared to stock was the only thing that seemed odd at first, but that's the way they are apparently.

• 2 months later...

Just had my new RXT and flywheel installed and from what I've read I'm supposed to do a 500 mile easy city driving. That an excercise in patience for sure.

But I have noticed at 2800 rpm there is a chatter/rattle. It goes to 4000 rpm, but I haven't taken it above that to see if it ends, it actually sounds a lot like an old mechanical speedo or tach cable that's about to die, but with about 200 miles on it and I took it for another drive this morning, it doesn't seem to be as pronounced nor last as long. Now 2800 rpm to 3500. I haven't taken it above 4000.

Have any ideas what it might be?

Is the clutch engaging/disengaging properly? If so, it's not likely the clutch itself. Shifter linkage?? If the clutch feels like it's hanging, it is. Spacing, flywheel to inner disc, is very important....but the outer to inner spacing is critical as well. Mine was installed incorrectly. I ending up shimming between them and it's perfect.

bj

Archived