TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Separator needed

Rarecat

I'm reading and hearing from friends that I should install an oil separator on the GT-500. Since the car did not have one from the factory and Ford Racing doesn't offer one, it makes me question if needing one is an urban legend or reality......I've read the write ups from the manufacturors on why you need them but I'd like to get some "neutral" opinions.....

I'm reading and hearing from friends that I should install an oil separator on the GT-500. Since the car did not have one from the factory and Ford Racing doesn't offer one, it makes me question if needing one is an urban legend or reality......I've read the write ups from the manufacturors on why you need them but I'd like to get some "neutral" opinions.....

Over time the oil does get into the intercooler that sits under the blowers. It was first seen on the Lightning truck.

Take off your throttle body and look in the plenum. I guarentee there's a nice puddle of oil sitting in there. Oil that gets sucked into the rotors and onto the intercooler. These superchargers were meant to pump air, not oil. Oil in the intake lowers octane and has no good purpose. Why Ford didn't put one on to start with is anybody's guess, but I'd say cost is the #1 factor. JLT makes a nice plug & play set up. It's worth it.

Not sure how different the 5.4 is but once I put the Whipple on my SGT 4.6, I waited about a month to put my JLT oil separator on and now wish I hadn't waited so long. Under heavy driving at the track I was pushing about 2 ounces of oil in that that canister EVERY 20 minute session! I bet I took 8-10 ounces of oil of of that thing over the entire weekend. Glad that oil is now not glogging up my intercooler.

• 1 month later...

I took my intake apart several months ago to instal new valve covers. I was shocked at how much oil was already in the system with only about 7500 miles on the car. Everything downstream of the pcv valve was coated and there was a puddle in the elbow. It really looked nasty. This on a car not run hard and with only a CAI mod on the engine.

It can't be good on the engine to run that much oil thru the intake. I guess we could make it a two-stoke. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I vent to atmosphere, and a lot of what accumulates in my breather can is moisture, but there is also enough oil that I'm glad I don't let it go back into my engine. I've actually been just emptying it into the same container every time I drain it lately, so that I can see how much oil there is after it separates from the water.

I have the JLT catch can on my passenger side. I just changed my oil. I have only put 800 miles on my car during the last year due to working out of town for an extended time.

This is how much oil was in mine after 800 miles and one year. I think it is a good idea to have one on the passenger side and I just ordered another one for my wifes GT500.

002-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Once the catch cans are on, how long will it take the system to clean up? Or will it ever clean up on its own?

This is a question that Tucker @ JLT may be able to answer.

Interesting enough I've been looking @ this oil separator & from what I read it appears to be most effective installed on the passenger side. Grabbers pics prove that (thanks grabber!).

I'll probably be ordering mine today through JLT.

BTW - What's the best way to apply our discount through JLT?

OP - Thanks for posting the question.

Grabber as always thanks for adding value to this forum.

Cheers,

Moncho

This is a question that Tucker @ JLT may be able to answer.

Interesting enough I've been looking @ this oil separator & from what I read it appears to be most effective installed on the passenger side. Grabbers pics prove that (thanks grabber!).

I'll probably be ordering mine today through JLT.

BTW - What's the best way to apply our discount through JLT?

OP - Thanks for posting the question.

Grabber as always thanks for adding value to this forum.

Cheers,

Moncho

I would not assume this. On my car the butterflies in the throttle body were absolutely covered in oil which had to come from the drivers side.

• 1 year later...

Shelby is suppose to be bringing their own branded oil separator to the market but I wonder if it is too late considering the GT500 is 6+ years old. Many of us that felt this was a needed item have already bought one of the existing products on the market. Unless Shelby has discovered some new revolutionary filtering concept I can't see a lot of people tossing their existing units. Perhaps they should try to get a head start on the next generation Mustang/Shelby.

Shelby is suppose to be bringing their own branded oil separator to the market but I wonder if it is too late considering the GT500 is 6+ years old. Many of us that felt this was a needed item have already bought one of the existing products on the market. Unless Shelby has discovered some new revolutionary filtering concept I can't see a lot of people tossing their existing units. Perhaps they should try to get a head start on the next generation Mustang/Shelby.

With the above statement in mind (GT500 being 6+ years old), has anyone experienced any major engine issues without a separator? Certainly there are enough higher mileage GT500s now to be able to draw a conclusion?

I have a Bob's on my Driver side, and I admittedly did it as much so I could mod something as I did it to keep the oil from getting into the SC, hehehe!

With my limited understanding of the "facts" with the oil separators I fall into the camp that if it was harmful to the engine then Ford would have installed them. By the same token if you have built a heavily modified engine that requires a perfect air fuel balance and requires every bit of a high octane fuel then an oil separator would be needed so as to not dilute the benefits of the high octane.

With my limited understanding of the "facts" with the oil separators I fall into the camp that if it was harmful to the engine then Ford would have installed them. By the same token if you have built a heavily modified engine that requires a perfect air fuel balance and requires every bit of a high octane fuel then an oil separator would be needed so as to not dilute the benefits of the high octane.

I would put myself in the same "limited understanding of the facts" category, but the reason I put mine on was a friend had an '04 with the inter-cooled Whipple and over a not-so-long of a period of time he started to have significant inexplicable cooling issues. Come to find out the returning oil had completely gummed up the fins of his intercooler and very drastically reduced the cooling capacity. After he took it all part and acid cleaned the IC fins back to new, his cooling issues went away... At least that the story he told me and was a pretty honest guy. And judging my how much oil I take out of canister (especially after spirited driving), I was not going to risk that on my car - which already has a hard enough time staying cool under heavy throttle. ...

I would put myself in the same "limited understanding of the facts" category, but the reason I put mine on was a friend had an '04 with the inter-cooled Whipple and over a not-so-long of a period of time he started to have significant inexplicable cooling issues. Come to find out the returning oil had completely gummed up the fins of his intercooler and very drastically reduced the cooling capacity. After he took it all part and acid cleaned the IC fins back to new, his cooling issues went away... At least that the story he told me and was a pretty honest guy. And judging my how much oil I take out of canister (especially after spirited driving), I was not going to risk that on my car - which already has a hard enough time staying cool under heavy throttle. ...

I don't disagree with you one bit. I have seen a number of pics of the F-150 and Mustang with IC fins coated with the gunk. That is why I installed two on my car, "just incase".

Archived