TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OIL SEPARATOR

Under boost the piston rings will let oil by, this oil winds up in the intake and intercooler, when it gets there it does't like to come out. A catch can will prevent this from happening.

So Chris I would assume I need the one for the passenger side if I have a Whipple 550? SInce the Whipple air intake is on the driver side I would assume there is not enough room. I have read that a couple people have bought them for both sides.

Chad, get one for the drivers side only. One is not needed for the pass side.

Call Jay @ JLT and tell him you need one for a Whipple equipped GT. He will know what to sell you. You are correct about there not being much room for it on the drivers side, but it does fit. I will post a pic when I get home.

I called JLT they don't have one for my GT350 ??

All you should need is the separator and the fittings for the PCV line, and cut it in. Same as the 4.6 with a Whipple. There's not one pre-put together, you will have to assemble it yourself.

Hopefully Jay will see this thread and chime in.

Does anybody remember who made the Glass style oil seperater?

Thanks

Here is my thread on the glass oil separator. They also make an aluminum one. This guy knows more about separators than anyone on the net !

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54578-oil-separators-or-catch-cans/page__p__927918__fromsearch__1#entry927918

The next thread depicts how much oil accumulated in the separator after approximately 700 miles.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61734-oil-separator-catch-can-an-update/page__p__1050330__fromsearch__1#entry1050330

post-26281-0-20353200-1311205241_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-20353200-1311205241_thumb.jpg

Here's my breather setup... both pcv lines are ran to a jaz breather tank mounted to the airbox... both inlets at the tb and tube are capped, no more oil going back in the engine, just gotta drain the little tank now and then!

e9cf519a.jpg

Guys, the new 5.0 is very bad with oil blow by when it's not supercharged, now add boost and it gets worse.

It's nothing to get alarmed about, as all cars do it and some more then others, but doing anything you can to stop it is the goal.

The FRPP/Whipple blower uses it's own PCV lines and we do not have access to them in the bulk we normally order, so the best thing you can do it get our Base kit and plumb it yourself.

Simply cut your stock line and install it inline on the passenger side. I have done a few here at the shop and it's easy. I added a piece of foam to the tank as so it does not scuff the coil cover.

We don't normally sell the fittings, but if you call and ask for 3/8 npt X 1/2" straight fittings to be installed we can do it for $5 extra.

As for breathers, yes, thats an easy thing to do, BUT (big but ;) if you drive your car hard your WILL (not might, or not at all, WILL) get oil smell and drip from the filter. If your not, your not driving hard or you have it on the side that gets less oil.

Please don't take offense to this statment, it's a fact. I've seen countless cars (mine included) blow oil out of a breather on the dyno and the track, so do this without my recommendation :)

Here is the link to our base kits: JLT Oil Separators

Thanks

Jay

post-7689-0-72570700-1311251023_thumb.jpg

post-7689-0-72570700-1311251023_thumb.jpg

No blowby or oil smell yet for me.... guess you'd have to define "hard" driving. Mine doesn't see track time, but I'm in the car at least an hour every day on my commute, and thanks to some country roads it sees a fair amount of WOT time daily and triple digits on the speedo a few times a week. To me, that's pretty hard driving for a street car. The can needed emptying more in cooler weather due to more moisture condensing in it, but again, no mess or smell. I kinda think the mess and smell is more associated with putting the breathers directly on the cam covers.

All that said, if I would have gotten a separator, it would have been the JLT one, I took a look at one at Brenspeed before opting for the open system and it's a very nicely made product.

OK I think I got it but I think I need two ? I have the 2011 Shelby GT350 with CA . So do I need one on the drivers side to ?? Jay can you make a kit up so when I call ??? I'm shore others that have the GT350 are going to need it to . :headscratch:

• 6 months later...

Ok guys, now that I have a blown 5.0 I did some testing, fitting and videos on how to install a JLT Oil Separator on your GT350

This kit is specific for the 2011-12 Mustang GT passenger side, with Roush, Whipple or FRPP Superchargers.

Does NOT include factory hose.

This kit comes with Oil Separator, 2 straight fittings, clamps and detailed directions on how to install in your hose

http://jlttruecoldai...c0rk3fts5qmf4m7

Roush%20whipple%20FRPP%20separator.jpg

Here is a how to video:

We are testing the driver side right now.

Thanks

Jay

Archived