TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stretching it on F1's

I've gotten almost 25,000 miles out of the original Goodyear F-1's and feel like I could have gotten more, but they are wearing out in the center. Now, my wife would point out that that's because I'm spinning the rear tires excessively, but the fronts are wearing down the center too. A tire generation or so ago, I would have said that was the classic indication of over inflation, but when looking at these tires, the appear to bow inward in the center and the air pressure is spot on. I've never had tires this size on a car before and never ones of this performance rating.......

Is this typical for this size and performance level of tire?

Thanks!

WOW 25k on the stock rears? You don't drive the car near aggressivly enough. My stock GY F1 rears were toast at 8k. Fronts lasted to 16. I have now been through two sets of Nitto 555Rs on the rear each lasting over 10k, current ones at 14 and counting. They need to go but are not bald yet and I have no track events in the next month or two.....let em ride.

I finally changed them out today. Officially 24,602 miles on the original F-1s. Would have run them another 1000 or so, but the inside of the passenger front was cupped out badly and they sounded like gravel in the wheels at about 20 mph. Ever notice how high performance tires tend to dart and follow grooves in the pavement as they get harder (and harsher).

Nope, I've never tracked my car and likely will never.......It's just a plain ol' 500 horse grocery getter...lol!

Enjoy!

I finally changed them out today. Officially 24,602 miles on the original F-1s. Would have run them another 1000 or so, but the inside of the passenger front was cupped out badly and they sounded like gravel in the wheels at about 20 mph. Ever notice how high performance tires tend to dart and follow grooves in the pavement as they get harder (and harsher).

Nope, I've never tracked my car and likely will never.......It's just a plain ol' 500 horse grocery getter...lol!

Enjoy!

What did you get ?

About 2 weeks after I bought the car in August 2008, I found a set of exact factory replacement tires at a little better than half price, I bought them and have stored them since. So I'm back on Goodyear F-1's. In retrospect, I wish I had picked up some all season tires, but these'll do for another 25k......

My first set at 5k miles were worn in the center as well. I am on the second set of F1s and atx10k miles they are fine. The cars first owner must have liked burnouts. I too have a spare set of gt500 wheels and tires in the garage. I would prefer to swap to another brand as I don't think the F1s are the best tyres for the car.

I've gotten almost 25,000 miles out of the original Goodyear F-1's and feel like I could have gotten more, but they are wearing out in the center. Now, my wife would point out that that's because I'm spinning the rear tires excessively, but the fronts are wearing down the center too. A tire generation or so ago, I would have said that was the classic indication of over inflation, but when looking at these tires, the appear to bow inward in the center and the air pressure is spot on. I've never had tires this size on a car before and never ones of this performance rating.......

Is this typical for this size and performance level of tire?

Thanks!

I run 30 in front and 28 in the rear. It hurts the Fuel mileage but the wear is almost perfect I've got about 28,000 on the Current set of OEM F1s. There is still another 1,000 or so left on them!

im at around 25500 on stockers also. the rears are gettin pretty close to being gone. fronts arnt bad. there is a cut in the side wall of the front drivers i dont like (been there since i bought it).

im not sure what im going to go with. i had nittos on my last 3 mustangs and liked them. may go that way again.

any thoughts? id like to go wider in the rear

I must drive like an old lady. I have 37,000 miles on my original F1's. I have to admit they don't have much life left in them.

Do you still have the original clutch too?

I changed out my original F-1's on my "10 Vert at just shy of 22K miles...

Went with the Continental ExtremeContact DW's, and I LOVE THEM... They hook really nice and are quiet.

And the rears are "only" $250 each (fronts are $200).

Ditto, I have the DW's on my 2009, and they are far better than the stock F1's. The DW's are much quieter than the stock F1's, have far better wet traction, and dry traction is improved as well. They do have a softer side wall, but increased air pressure solved that issue. I still insure proper contact area of the tread by monitoring proper pressures.

OP, I also noticed my F1's were wearing much more in the center despite proper pressure. I don't rely on a certain pressure believed to be correct, I monitor contact patch area and adjust accordingly. No matter what I did, the tire naturally wears more in the center tread area. See picture below and notice how it appears to be sagging in the middle. Some would say improper inflation, but I feel it's a defect in design, as I am super anal about proper air pressure in my tires at all times.

reartread.jpg

Maybe you should see if you can get a 4 wheel alignment. That might help. I just over 12k on mine and it has already been 4 wheel aligned twice already. I did it to just be sure after the Relocation Brackets and all the suspension changes.

Archived