TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacing clutch!

I need some help/advise, my clutch is slipping pretty bad, so I've decided to replace the stock Ford clutch with a Mcleod RXT unit also replacing the flywheel and slave cylinder at the same time. So here's my question, will I have to replace any bearings? If so which ones? I am supplying the parts and my local shop is doing the install and I want to make sure that I have everything needed to get the job done. I'm also using this as an excuse to replace the stock shifter with the MGW Short Throw Shifter.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

I need some help/advise, my clutch is slipping pretty bad, so I've decided to replace the stock Ford clutch with a Mcleod RXT unit also replacing the flywheel and slave cylinder at the same time. So here's my question, will I have to replace any bearings? If so which ones? I am supplying the parts and my local shop is doing the install and I want to make sure that I have everything needed to get the job done. I'm also using this as an excuse to replace the stock shifter with the MGW Short Throw Shifter.

Mike

Mike,, no bearings need to be swapped!! it looks like to me that you have all the parts needed ,,

Mike

Might as well replace the pilot bearing as long as you have it apart.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-09-shelby-gt500-transmission-pilot-bearings-c-2052_2284_10801/ford-racing-05-09-mustang-roller-pilot-bearing-p-24968?zenid=35e637f779f3ebfe52db0b3f9647dd94

Chip

Mike

Hello, besides the parts listed, you also need to replace the following parts:

a) Pilot Bearing - P/N: 7600.

B) Disc and Plate assembly Bolts - P/N: W712838.

I don't know if the Mcleod RXT unit comes with the needed bolts / pilot bearing and lube, but I would change them and not chance using anything but the teflon lube. The teflon lube that Grabber mentioned comes in two sizes, the lifetime supply shown and a smaller quantity, XG8 or D2AZ-1950-A, why pay to stock your installer. I would also check if the Mcleod RXT installation instructions call out a specific torque value for the flywheel bolts or refers to the recommended factory torque, as the Shop Manual your people have access may have an incorrect value? My understanding for the correct torque value for the stock flywheel is "tighten to 74 inch pounds in a star pattern and then to 80 inch pounds".

• 1 month later...

Hey Mike, it was great seeing you and your wife again at Dearborn.............That was some fun on the median, some of those cars were a riot!:camera: The trip finally did my clutch in but at 30000 miles i think it did OK. Am replacing tuesday with the 2011 clutch kit. I 'll let you know how it works out. See ya next year!

Ron

Mike

You will love that new clutch. I just installed the same one in my car. I also installed the MGW short-throw shifter as well. I wasn't able to get it in time to put it in with the new clutch. That would have made the install a lot easier.

It's a great combination. Night and day difference over stock.

lol. Just realized this thread was really old.

Hey Mike, it was great seeing you and your wife again at Dearborn.............That was some fun on the median, some of those cars were a riot!:camera: The trip finally did my clutch in but at 30000 miles i think it did OK. Am replacing tuesday with the 2011 clutch kit. I 'll let you know how it works out. See ya next year!

Ron

Ron,

It was really good to meet up with you guys again! Had a blast, sorry to hear about your clutch. Mine made it to 13,500 before crapping out. I'm sure the Whipple 2.9 had something to do with it! Good luck with your new clutch, the McCleod RXT has been great, way smoother than the stock one and feels much sturdier. I really like the MGW Short throw shifter too, it's way better than stock.

Looking forward to next year, will see you guys then!

Mike

You will love that new clutch. I just installed the same one in my car. I also installed the MGW short-throw shifter as well. I wasn't able to get it in time to put it in with the new clutch. That would have made the install a lot easier.

It's a great combination. Night and day difference over stock.

lol. Just realized this thread was really old.

LOL,, yeah I toasted the oem clutch in July, but didn't get the new one installed until Aug. 15TH. I agree, I really love the clutch and the MGW Shifter and agree they are way better than the stock stuff.

Mike

Great Mike, BTW were you able to put the 2.9 on without any hood changes?

Ron

Ron,

The 2.9 fits under the hood with no problems (did not have to lower the engine either) but I had the FRPP Strut Tower Bar and had to go back to the OEM Bar as it would not clear the JLT CAI tube. My son-in-law (he's a auto mechanic) and I swapped out the supercharger in one day. It's not as easy to do as the TVS blower.

You getting the new clutch installed today?

Mike

THANKS Mike. Should have car back tonite..........I got a look at the old clutch at noon , started slippinglast week. It was actually not warped or burned or anything....there was rust on the splines, slave cylinder was bad, it was just completely worn out. The dealer is treating me very well and replacing it at no charge so I am getting a real break. Now I will have to keep my foot from going thru the floor when pushing in the clutch!:finger::shift:

Wow Ron, It's your lucky day getting the clutch replaced for free! Maybe you should pick up some lottery tickets today. :hysterical: Glad your getting your car back as quick as you are. My flywheel had some burn spots and some hairline cracks in it. Not sure if the shaft had any rust, but I did buy the Ford lube and had the shop use it, I also had the Slave Cylinder replaced (don't think mine was bad) as a precaution. My shop started on Friday and finished up on Monday. Don't forget to breakin your new clutch! It was 47 dgrs this morning, not sure how many more days of driving are left this year! Let me know how you like the new clutch.

Mike

I was told 500 miles of stop and go driving, no dumping the clutch or really beating on it. So what did I do? Drove it to Dearborn and remember the 5 mile oval? The shop told me just go easy on it for a while. I did have some roleover noise for the first 300 to 400 miles, now it's very quiet. Now that I think about it, we really didn't have to break in the original clutch's did we? So maybe it's an old wives tale about the break in period, but I did it anyway, kinda! See what your shop guy says.

Mike

Man what a DIFFERENCE..........Can't believe I've been driving this car so long like it was. Tech said a faulty slave cylinder made the clutch wear abnormally . I am REALLY pleased with the new setup. Tech said to avoid hard launches for a couple hundred miles and just shift normal............I will have to relearn how to do that !:doh::shift:

Man what a DIFFERENCE..........Can't believe I've been driving this car so long like it was. Tech said a faulty slave cylinder made the clutch wear abnormally . I am REALLY pleased with the new setup. Tech said to avoid hard launches for a couple hundred miles and just shift normal............I will have to relearn how to do that !:doh::shift:

I hear you on that! Still learning to adjust to the new setup :hysterical: myself! Glad everything worked out for you.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Archived