TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 VS Boss 302 VS GT500

SBaumgartner

Howdy to all my fellow "Shelby Fans". with the new Shelby GT350 being intro duced in to the line of Shelby Mustangs, a person has to wonder how all these different models compare to one another on a track. So I am asking people here, who may know the answer to this interesting question. First of all I left out the Supersnake on purpose because it has 800 horsepower and would be considered way overkill in performance. But hey? if you want to throw the Supersnake into the works? by all means go ahead. And while your at it..any GTS fans out there? they can chime in any time on that model too. So who do you think will get around a track like Laguna Seca the fastest? My guess would be the GT350...I have seen a video that compares a Boss 302 with a GT500 and the GT500 beat the Boss 302 only by 1/2 a second. But now, I want to see all the other mustangs thrown into the bunch. So..? who get's around the track the fastest..you guy's let me know...Thanks!!

Actually, it would be Corvette, GT 350, Boss, GT 500 even with the Vette driver had assistance from a seeing eye dog, had one leg and arm tied behind his back.......:rolleyes:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

Actually, it would be Corvette, GT 350, Boss, GT 500 even with the Vette driver had assistance from a seeing eye dog, had one leg and arm tied behind his back.......:rolleyes:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

OK speedy...hysterical.gif

GT350 Boss GT500 in that order.

Has to be the same driver to compare times

GT350, GT500, Boss - The 2011 and up GT500 with less weight and EPS is much better on the track.

While the Boss is a great handler, being down on HP it will be hard for it to keep up.

Yeah,completely depends on the track. Stock setup- the BOSS LS has the best suspension of any mustang ever built. The GT350 is a great mustang, and really the best car for acceleration and handling balanced tracks. A supersnake might make a run on a track with several straight aways and few turns, but would get left behind on most tracks by the lighter cars. Owning a GT350 has been an absolute thrill, and we have been able to really make it faster with some minimum of mods. I have added 80 rwhp to the stock 624hp setup by only changing the driveshaft, pulley and CAI. With that setup, the BOSS is going to have a hard time keeping up, but even that isnt stopping me from buying a 2013 BOSS. I plan on buying one to use on road courses worry free. It is hard to overlook the fact that replacing parts on the 350 is a hassle at the very least, and the BOSS you can break, and its warrantied and can be fixed at any Ford dealer. Dont read more into that statement then my intention- My GT350 is and will be my favorite mustang ever, but I dont want to drive it into the ground. It is the car I want to grow old with and pass along to my kids.

I think in the end, they are all great cars! Each has an edge in some characteristic of performance. I think one problem you are going observe here is that every owner is going to be partial to the Shelby or BOSS they own. I am in a lucky situation in that I have owned or driven almost all of them. SGTs, Cobras, Series 1, GT500s, Supersnakes, Terlinguas and the GT350. Its kinda like coming on here and asking who is the prettiest woman alive.:hysterical: If you gave three different choices, you would end up with SIX different answers.

If I was goona road race competitvely, I would get a BOSS S. Hows that for a left field answer?:hysterical:

GT350, GT500, Boss - The 2011 and up GT500 with less weight and EPS is much better on the track.

While the Boss is a great handler, being down on HP it will be hard for it to keep up.

Point taken. Short track like Gingerman or Autbahn, the Boss will take the 500, on tracks like Road America The GT500 would have the advantage, Unless it does not have extra cooling

in all this i wonder where the roush will stand up. when i was shopping for my new one (between a 427r and a gt500) it was always "the roush handles but the 500 has the power". so now with the supercharged 5.0 and the roush suspension????

not to be nut swinging on roush here, just saying :hysterical:

roush_2012_ford_mustang_rs3_8.jpg

Yo

Getting my boss to Watkins Glen next weekend and will be able to compare that car to the 350 with the same driver - me :happy feet:

Here is my feelings on the 350. The car had been on the track for 6 days. 2 at the ponies in the poconos event (well done btw) and 4 with the local Porsche clubs. At the ponies event there were many Shelby's and even some fr500 race cars. The 350 was by far the fastest car on the north and south course at pocono raceway all weekend. While I could not keep up with Gary Patterson in the massively cambered 350 with his great driving skill, all other cars just didnt have the same combo of great power AND handling.

Now during the Porsche events, the 350 was still a friggin mean ass machine. Only the track prepped 911's and corvettes on hoosiers had better lap times at the pocono north course then the 350. My biggest issue with the SC 350 is the heat soak. I have the Shelby Aux cooler but still around the 25-30 minute mark, the ecu would pull back the timing to save the motor. I'm glad it has this safety feature built in but it is kinda a bummer. I have raced NA and turbo 911's for years and their legendary durability made me spoiled. For 20-25 minutes with the right driver (Gary), I'd put the 350 up their with any car on street tires - it is that good.

For the same reasons Warren stated above though, the boss will be my primary track car. Way cheaper to run, fix, repair and possibly replace if I wad it up. Not that the 350's tracks days are over but the boss will get the large percentage of track time. While I know the boss does not have the same power, I'm hoping that the boss will have longer stints on the track with full power by avoiding heat soak without the blower. Time will tell. I will say thus about the boss so far. With just adding camber plates, an aggressive alignment (-2.5 camber), proper brake pads and fluid, it is a pretty formidable machine. With still no track key released by ford, my first outing in my "base" boss will have to be under the stock tune. I think she will do ok. On a track like the Glen that is a high hp track, she may be a bit down on power versus the turbo 911's and chipped gt-3's but we will soon find out.

My 500 is a vert and is too simply not a road course machine. Of my 3 mustangs, this is the one that is on the block for sale - the boss and the 350 are keepers!

Hey Tony

Glad to see your getting some track time. To busy with work to get out. Can't wait to here how the BOSS does, I think it ran great driving it to the Carlisle Show chasing your 350. Hope we can get together and track both our Boss mustangs. Still waiting on my LS, hope to have it for Daytona in Dec. let me know if you can make that event. I'll see you at Carlisle next year for sure. Oh I'll be at Daytona with the Snake if the Boss doesn't show. Keep It on the Pavement !!!!!

John

Hey Tony

Glad to see your getting some track time. To busy with work to get out. Can't wait to here how the BOSS does, I think it ran great driving it to the Carlisle Show chasing your 350. Hope we can get together and track both our Boss mustangs. Still waiting on my LS, hope to have it for Daytona in Dec. let me know if you can make that event. I'll see you at Carlisle next year for sure. Oh I'll be at Daytona with the Snake if the Boss doesn't show. Keep It on the Pavement !!!!!

John

I will keep you posted on the boss. Sorry again if I scared u on my winding hilly country roads - it was not my intention. Thanks again for your help with the cars.

December's are tough for me in the drug business. Cold and flu season (thank goodness) and holiday season. I might be able to fly down and be your daytona secondary driver to give you a break now and then - you know - I'm willing to help you out anyway I can. :hysterical:

Big good John. Right-O! Shiny side up!

Archived