TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR aluminum block

Recently got a new book "Ford GT The complete owners experience". Page 61 states the KR has the 5.4 aluminum block.

Is this correct?

As fas as I know, the production KRs all have the standard iron block. The only thing keeping mine from having an aluminum block though, is a fist full of dollars. Someday... :)

It's carzy how many errors you can find like this in print. A specific fact this significant...you'd think there would be a technical editor involved in these publications that would catch it. (there are many on this forum that would probably be qualified) .

• 1 month later...

FRPP just released a modified version of the 2011 SVT 5.4 liter longblock. Essentially, it is the aluminum engine with the powder forged connecting rods being replaced with much higher strength H-beam connecting rods. You can swap your OE '07-'09 intake manifold, blower and other ancillaries to it and go - all the while losing 100 lbs and having a much stronger bottom end. Buyfordracing quoted me less than $10,000 for the assembly. A steal, considering that the complete original 2011 engine goes for $21,000. That's with the weaker rods as well...

Here's the link

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12435

Thanks Tob, good info for some KR and 07-09 GT500 owners here.

As for me, I'll stick to my heavy iron block. This car is more than I can handle. I may take the plunge and slap a TVS on it and call it a day.

Archived