TEAM SHELBY FORUM

285 or bigger on stock rear wheels?

was curious if anyone has gone much bigger on stock wheels 275 front 285 or bigger on rear? I really do like the stock wheels and have been pondering the negligable gain of half an inch width more on tired than stock. For the price it would seem just getting some meaty aggressive looking tires would be better and put rest of the money into new pulleys ect? If anyone has done this and has pictures I'd love to see em!

was curious if anyone has gone much bigger on stock wheels 275 front 285 or bigger on rear? I really do like the stock wheels and have been pondering the negligable gain of half an inch width more on tired than stock. For the price it would seem just getting some meaty aggressive looking tires would be better and put rest of the money into new pulleys ect? If anyone has done this and has pictures I'd love to see em!

IF YOU HAVE THE STOCK GT500 REAR SPRINGS IN YOUR SUSPENSION AND WANT A BIGGER TIRE I WOULD RECOMEND THE NITTO NT555R DRAG RADIAL THEY ARE THE BIGGEST TIRE YOU CAN PUT ON A STOCK 9.5 INCH WHEEL , ARE GREAT FOR THE STREET AND VERY GOOD ON THE DRAG STRIP AND I USE THEM ON MY GT500 WHICH HAS 674 RWHP AND OVER 700 RWHP WITH MY RACE TUNE. ADDITIONALLY, MANY DRAG RACER USE THEM ON THE NMRA DRAG RACING CIRCUT.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

SCOTTY G.

I could not find the link, but I remember that 255 width is max safe on 8.5" rim...

You can go from 235 to 255.

AstroDan is correct, the widest you can go on the 8.5" stock SGT rims is 255... Somewhere on TireRack.com it has a listing of rim width versus tire width :headscratch:

But the good side is you can run the stock GT500 Goodyear F1 Supercar front tires (255/45ZR18) on all four corners and still be able to rotate them front to back...

Also, you don't have to re-calibrate your speedo either if you replace our OEM BFG's with these...

Just don't plan on doing any serious driving in the winter months, as the F1's are a Summer tire only (40 degrees or higher ambient temps)...

This is from www.rimsntires.com: for the '07 Mustang GT: 235/50/18

OEM tires: (691x235mm). Bolt pattern: 5x114.3 (5x4.5). Offset: 32 to 42 mm. Tires up to 711x255mm (front). Rims up to 21x9.0" (front). *Rear tires up to 275 - safe setup, up to 295 - at your own risk.

For the '07 GT500:

OEM tires: 255/45-18 front and 285/40-18 rear (685x255mm / 685x285mm). Bolt pattern: 5x114.3 (5x4.5). Offset: 32 to 42 mm. Tires up to 705x255mm (front). Rims up to 21x9.0" (front).

The main thing is to try to stay with the same tire diameter so the speedometer calibration is not too far off.

stock is: 235/50/18 = 27.252

If staying with the same rims you would probably look for the following;

245/50/18 = 27.646

255/45/18 = 27.035

265/45/18 = 27.390

275/45/18 = 27.744

So a 275/45/18 tire would be aprox. 1.7% taller and when your speedometer reads 60MPH your really going 61MPH.

These were the numbers I came up with. I still have my original tires but will probably have to change them out this coming winter. I'm still looking for a good all season tire as mine is a daily driver.

I'm sure others that have made the swap can give more specifics on what works in the real world.

CC

Hmm, I had no clue speedo read different depending on your wheels/tires. Learn something new everyday. My SGT is a summer only vehicle.

Well damn, it almost seems like less hassle to just go to Shelby Razer 20x9 all around and some Nitto 555?

I just really wanted the Black Razers but nobody has them in stock at all.

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated. Looks like I have some decision making to do!

Hmm, I had no clue speedo read different depending on your wheels/tires. Learn something new everyday. My SGT is a summer only vehicle.

Well damn, it almost seems like less hassle to just go to Shelby Razer 20x9 all around and some Nitto 555?

I just really wanted the Black Razers but nobody has them in stock at all.

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated. Looks like I have some decision making to do!

I don't have the numbers for 20" rims but if you want to crunch the numbers yourself here is how to do it.

Example a 195/55R16 tire.

for measurements in inches use the formula (T*A/1270)+W

so for the tire above the tire diameter would be (195*55/1270)+16 = 24.44 inches

for results in millimeters use the formula (2*T*A/100) + (W*25.4) which would be 621 mm

CC

Archived