TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Razor Wheel Powder Coat Question

I widened my chrome razors and now trying to come up with a solution for the "blended" weld area (approx 4 in wide). I see there are some great chrome powder coating products out there and was wondering if anyone knows if the American Racing chrome can withstand 400 degrees for 20 minutes without causing any damage? I know I will not use someone who doesn't already know, but would like to know for confirmation sakes. Thx

I widened my chrome razors and now trying to come up with a solution for the "blended" weld area (approx 4 in wide). I see there are some great chrome powder coating products out there and was wondering if anyone knows if the American Racing chrome can withstand 400 degrees for 20 minutes without causing any damage? I know I will not use someone who doesn't already know, but would like to know for confirmation sakes. Thx

Hi Greg,

I would call James at Weldcraft in Livonia Michigan if you are ready have not done so and ask him if he knows of a company.

Scotty

Hi Greg,

I would call James at Weldcraft in Livonia Michigan if you are ready have not done so and ask him if he knows of a company.

Scotty

Thanks Scotty, I will give James a shout. Love my 11 in razors/Perrelli's (thanks to great gt67 feedback). As powder coating is a very simple process, I was hoping to do a local drop-off/pick-up w/o parting once again from my razors. Funny how we get attached to our wheels huh :wub: . Love to start my own custom process with chrome, black chrome and irridescence. I see the koenigs have a afterburner prisma (color changing) that I would love to duplicate. check it out. This is getting way too addictive..... :stirpot: Many thanks, Greg

Meanwhile, I am still in desperate search of a set of 20" razors in silver...or any non chrome (painted) color so they could be repainted to silver. If anyone knows of any....much appreciated. (and apologies for hi-jacking this thread)

Real Chrome is iffiy heating it up to 400*. 9 times out of 10 there's no problems, but if the chrome is damaged and peeling, you're probably in trouble. The next problem is with adhesion. To get the powder to properly stick to the chrome you need to sand blast it. Again, if the chrome is in good shape, you're probably fine, but blasting can cause the chrome to start to bubble and peel. When I powder coat chrome wheels I always worn customers that ," If the chrome is bubblin, the price could be doublin."

Next, any manufacturers brand of "chrome" powder coating WILL NOT match real chrome. period. It's looks more like polished aluminum then chrome. Especially when the mandatory clear coat is applied.

If you've got any other powder coating questions, PM me. There are lots of options out there.

-Brian

Real Chrome is iffiy heating it up to 400*. 9 times out of 10 there's no problems, but if the chrome is damaged and peeling, you're probably in trouble. The next problem is with adhesion. To get the powder to properly stick to the chrome you need to sand blast it. Again, if the chrome is in good shape, you're probably fine, but blasting can cause the chrome to start to bubble and peel. When I powder coat chrome wheels I always worn customers that ," If the chrome is bubblin, the price could be doublin."

Next, any manufacturers brand of "chrome" powder coating WILL NOT match real chrome. period. It's looks more like polished aluminum then chrome. Especially when the mandatory clear coat is applied.

If you've got any other powder coating questions, PM me. There are lots of options out there.

-Brian

Thanks Brian/Scotty, I contacted Weldcraft (James was out) and spoke to Shawn. He said the razor outer face faux hex nut caps must be removed as they will melt (??). Weighing possible catastrophe and avoiding another shipment, I think I would rather primer and paint the inner machined band. Especially as the area is mostly out of sight, brake dust, debris anyway. Anyone have any good experiences and/or suggestions on color/brand/process? Any input is welcome. Many Thx

Archived