TEAM SHELBY FORUM

converting a real 67 GT500 to eleanor sin?

maverikb

So I may or may not have come across a legit 67 GT500 (body only no engine, etc). . . should find out in the next few days.

If it is legit, would I be making a mistake doing a eleanor conversion?

Well I know I’m going against the grain here but here goes. A car is only original one time. After that it’s rebuilt, restored, or whatever you want to call it. Sounds like this one is lacking some of the better parts that would make it an “original”. You could buy most of the repo parts parts to redo the car, but it still wouldn’t be original. You could do a complete frame off restoration with date correct parts, but it still wouldn’t be original. Do whatever your heart and wallet allows. Enjoy your ride (or future ride).

:shift:

So I may or may not have come across a legit 67 GT500 (body only no engine, etc). . . should find out in the next few days.

The answer is NO, NO, NO...you do an Eleanor out of a base Fastback, NOT a legit car....

FWIW, Eleanors were waaaayy over done, if that is your ultimate goal, buy one that is complete, it'll save you a boat loads of cash (assuming you're building it right), and you get to drive it right away.

Unless you have the desire, time, and check book to DIY.

Of course, this is jusy my opinion, spend your $$$ how you will, but please, on behalf of all vintage Shelby owners out there, do not desecrate the original car.

Rant Over

There are probably more Eleanors out there now then there are true GT500s. Only actual converted GT500 I know of was actually done for Bruckheimer for when the movie was made, and I don't think it had any actual screen time.

To take an actual GT500, to me, is a waste of a good chance to bring back something that might forever be lost and will never be made again.

thanks for the feedback!

I think some good points where made here that really helped me out!

Aside from the shell, nothing else is original. I'm not planning on selling the car and really want to have a project car I can work on.

If I need to spend the time, effort and money part of me feels like it be cool to make an Eleanor with the soul of the GT500 but at the same time dont want to disrespect the car or its heritage.

Look both have their value but I would restore the GT500 to its original condition and get a base fastback from say desertclassics.com and get a Eleanor body and build it that way. You would have the best of both worlds. In my opinion it would be a SIN to make that into an Eleanor Mustang! The Eleanor mustang with all body work done is like 18k but I bet you can probably talk them down from that. But this America so let us know what you decide.

Good Luck and Thanks

Jimmy

2011 GT500 SVTPP

2011 Raptor SVT

hopeful Eleanor Shelby Mustang owner at some point

I own a 65 clone. If I had a numbers matching real Shelby, and in your case, a shell, I would make it as close to original while using some modern bolt ons. I agree with others, use a regular fastback to make an Eleanor. In the movie, Eleanor portrayed a GT 500, yours is the real deal! Think about it. Remember, just my opinion

IMO, you could have the best of both by restoring the car to original GT500 appearance (Tony Branda makes most of the parts and trim) and installing a crate Coyote, 6 speed and modern suspension.

Most of the time I am "Mr Original", but that being said, if you are starting from a shell, then you have a *looong* way to go to get the car back into original Shelby shape. My KR was "mostly original", and I have spent thousands just in replacing the parts that were missing or incorrect (air cleaner, snorkel and heat shield, starter delay, smog, etc...). It is pretty easy to get a Shelby mostly done using repop parts (and there are some fantastic and enthusiastic resources to help you), but at the end of the day, unless you are going to spend a lot of time and money looking for NOS or used parts, then you will still have a car that is built out of reproduction parts.

Saying that, I think that restoring the car to Shelby condition would be a great idea, but make sure you have the stomach (and the pockets) for the long haul if you go down that road. If you do, then great! I think the end result would be more rewarding than building an Eleanor (and I agree with the other comments here, that you would be better served getting a stock fastback Chassis if thats the project you want to try...)

Cheers,

Chris.

This is kinda funny, but a few years ago I was talking to one of the editors of a very popular Mustang publication and he told me that every time they had a picture of an "Eleanor" Mustang on the cover, the sales on the newsstands increased 50%. I went back and researched old issues I had and was amazed how many times various magazines had done just that. I was told the purists weren't happy but the young crowd loved it and they were the ones buying off the shelf issues.

Lotta hate and love out there for the Eleanor Mustang. Sorta like the Stock vs Mod, or original vs repo. Much of this depends on your age and when you grew up. Heck if you really want to be honest about this stuff, the original Eleanor Mustang wasn't even a Shelby (or clone). The original "Eleanor" was a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, not even a Shelby. Revisionist history amazes me. Not just in real events in which the story gets changed through the years but in remake of Hollywood movies. To me, and I'm one of the older guys, Eleanor will always be the 1973 plain Jane looking Mach 1 in the 1974 movie, not a 1967 Shelby. But that's okay, it's what era your were raised in and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It's all good and enjoy your rides.

73gone2.jpg

This is kinda funny, but a few years ago I was talking to one of the editors of a very popular Mustang publication and he told me that every time they had a picture of an "Eleanor" Mustang on the cover, the sales on the newsstands increased 50%. I went back and researched old issues I had and was amazed how many times various magazines had done just that. I was told the purists weren't happy but the young crowd loved it and they were the ones buying off the shelf issues.

Lotta hate and love out there for the Eleanor Mustang. Sorta like the Stock vs Mod, or original vs repo. Much of this depends on your age and when you grew up. Heck if you really want to be honest about this stuff, the original Eleanor Mustang wasn't even a Shelby (or clone). The original "Eleanor" was a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, not even a Shelby. Revisionist history amazes me. Not just in real events in which the story gets changed through the years but in remake of Hollywood movies. To me, and I'm one of the older guys, Eleanor will always be the 1973 plain Jane looking Mach 1 in the 1974 movie, not a 1967 Shelby. But that's okay, it's what era your were raised in and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It's all good and enjoy your rides.

73gone2.jpg

That is so true. 10 points for Bill !

that is true, i personally love Eleanor from the remake, i been searching on ebay for older magazine that feature the '67 Eleanor. So far i have 1 Mustang Monthly Magazine that had Carroll and Eleanor on the cover

Archived