TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Goodyear G2 Supercar Tires - Mileage????

randymarble

I'm just now at 8,500 miles on my 2011 Convertible SVTPP GT500. Tires have been on the road course twice and plain old highway driving otherwise. Starting to look ragged on the edges, but still have ample tread in the middle. Front more so that the rears....................can't figure that one out.

Has anyone worn out a set yet? If so, how many miles did you go before replacing.

I would like to keep my stock wheels and find reasonably priced alternative tires, but have found nothing yet. Anyone else wanting to do the same? I've tried every combination of tire maker, +1 size etc, but no luck yet. I have run 305's on the rear in Nitto Drag Radials with no rubbing issues. I've still got completely stock suspension.

Chime in here.............................

post-28874-0-64068400-1310265227_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-64068400-1310265227_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at +/- 7,500 and they're damn-near bald - but that includes 3 track events. You're pretty-much SOL on alternatives unless you want to go to winter tires.

As much as I loathed them at first, the F-1 G: 2's are actually pretty stellar on the track. That motivated me to pick-up a set of the Ford Racing 19" look alike wheels that I plan to wrap in 275/40-19' all-seasons (a size with plentiful options) for street use, keeping the too-dear F-1 G: 2's for the track. In fact, given the expense of most quality tires nowadays and the dirt-cheap cost of the 18" 2010 SVT wheels, I've also bought a set of those to wrap in 40/45 profile tires to have a set of touring tires whose primary purpose is pure comfort - even if I choose to screw-down the suspension as tight as Ford Racing makes possible.

At the end of the day, I bought my first set of replacement tires by buying an entire set of pull-off SVTPP wheels and tires with them. It may have upped the overall price by quite a bit, but it sure wound-up giving me one hell of a deal on both.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just ordered a set of Vossen wheels in 20 x 10.5 and 20 x 9.

Putting 275's on the front and 315's on the rear..........................Nitto Envo's.

A bit expensive, but I like to be different.

R.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just an update here.

The 20 x 10.5 rims from Vossen WILL NOT FIT over the Baer Extreme 14" brakes. I am now sitting with a full set of Vossen wheels and Nitto Invo tires that look AMAZINGLY good, but stuck with nothing that fits. When I put a 1/8" spacer on the rear, they clear the calipers but then the tires hit the fender lip on bumps. Now since I have mounted the tires, therein lies the problem of not being able to return the wheels. Vossen said they "SHOULD FIT"...................

$3,500 invested - - - - - - - - - No return on investment.

Ok, just an update here.

The 20 x 10.5 rims from Vossen WILL NOT FIT over the Baer Extreme 14" brakes. I am now sitting with a full set of Vossen wheels and Nitto Invo tires that look AMAZINGLY good, but stuck with nothing that fits. When I put a 1/8" spacer on the rear, they clear the calipers but then the tires hit the fender lip on bumps. Now since I have mounted the tires, therein lies the problem of not being able to return the wheels. Vossen said they "SHOULD FIT"...................

OOOF!

Sorry, man. I suddenly feel MUCH better about proceeding so circumspectly.

Ok, just an update here.

Just a thought - and I don't know enough about the Vossen's to know whether or not such a thing would be practical or meaningfully affect structural integrity, but have you considered having 1/8" machined out of the backside?

You're really working with some tight tolerances to begin with if 1/8" is the difference between clearing and not on bumps. What sizes are you running in the back?

The machining on the wheel would need to be on the backside of the spoke of the wheel and I'm not sure that I want to fool with the integrity.

Rear - 315/35/20 28.62 diameter - Nitto Invo

Front - 275/40/20 28.62 diameter - Nitto Invo

Have a couple of options that I am exploring.

1) sell the wheels

2) return the wheels (tires have been mounted. Most places won't, but hoping Vossen will step up since the were sure that they would work with the Baer Extreme setup)

3) change the rear brakes out to the Baer Pro Plus calipers and rotors. They are .400 less thick.

4) change the tires to 295/35/20 28.12 diameter & 275/25/20 27.58 diameter

I can't seem to get anyone to answer this question:

The original tires have a diameter offset of 27.85 rear and 27.35 front. Do we think that the traction control system of the GT500 is smart enough to know that stagger and account for it? Just how much leeway is there in the system. There is another tire option for me with some 305's, but their diameter is 28.12 and that puts the smaller stagger number to the rear making it a full inch difference than the original setup.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

R....

post-28874-0-49823900-1312493884_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-49823900-1312493884_thumb.jpg

Randy;

You sure have a dilema. I spoke with Vossen on a set of wheels for my car and after I found out where they are made, I told them no thanks.

I will be going with a set of American Racing wheels and NT555Rs. Still haven't heard anything from those interested in the stock SVTPP wheels and F1s.

I wish you luck in your search for the set up on your car.

The machining on the wheel would need to be on the backside of the spoke of the wheel and I'm not sure that I want to fool with the integrity.

Yep. It would. But with the right guy on the CNC, I'd be willing to give it a try - which I'm thinking of doing to gain front caliper clearance for the 20" SVTPP wheels. GIven that the wheels are forged and the thickness of the spokes I'm not at all worried about (judiciously) removing some material. (Famous last words). :)

• 1 month later...

Just to reply to you original question - I have 4000 miles with 1 track event, and my fronts are shot - the outer edges are gone and won't pass inspection. Think I need a bit more negative camber to even the wear. Tire rack had the stock fronts for 344.00 -

I'd put mine up against yours for the Treadless Wonder Prize any day. Just trying to get another 4 days out of them until the trade-in. :)

I've finally decided to keep 3 sets of wheels/tires - a set of all-seasons on 18" wheels for touring comfort and long wear, a set of track-oriented tires on 19's that can really make the most of the 3.73 gearing, and the OE staggered set which I'm having pulled from the car before delivery.

The 18" set of all seasons WITH wheels cost less than a set of F1 G: 2' tires alone.

I got right at 8,500 miles and 2 track days out of my original set of G2's and the sad part is that there is plenty of tread left in the center of the tires, but the outsides look like track slick gumballs. Guess the heat of the track isn't so kind to them. I finally got a set of Vossen's to fit the car with 20" x 10.5" and 20 x 9.5" width and put Nitto Invo's at all four corners. For various reasons, my driving miles on this car have dwindled substantially and haven't had a chance to really exercise these tires at all yet. Had a heck of a time getting the Vossen's to fit the rear with the big Baer brakes, but that is solved now. Total investment in the Vossen's + Nitto's was $3,400.

I think I could have stretched the original tires to 10k if driven in good weather conditions.

R....

post-28874-0-78092600-1317040466_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-78092600-1317040466_thumb.jpg

Somehow I got 30,000 out of my first set, no kidding, but we took a lot of long trips. My replacements lasted about 10,000 (a few long trips but mostly goosing around town). It just really depends. Some only get 5,000.

And +1 on the camber. Mine are set within spec and it still likes to wear out the insides of the fronts a little. At least they're not feathering this time like before. Alignment.

Somehow I got 30,000 out of my first set, no kidding, but we took a lot of long trips. My replacements lasted about 10,000 (a few long trips but mostly goosing around town). It just really depends. Some only get 5,000.

And +1 on the camber. Mine are set within spec and it still likes to wear out the insides of the fronts a little. At least they're not feathering this time like before. Alignment.

If you are talking about the 2008 Shelby GT500 listed in your signature, the G2 Supercar tires are unique starting with the 2011 SVTPP option and are a different breed altogether.

post-28874-0-84022000-1317055419_thumb.jpg

post-28874-0-84022000-1317055419_thumb.jpg

If you are talking about the 2008 Shelby GT500 listed in your signature, the G2 Supercar tires are unique starting with the 2011 SVTPP option and are a different breed altogether.

Oh oops. Sorry.

They both have the same tread wear rating so I'm sure you're not going to see anything drastic--220.

Archived