TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repainting my shelby gth ?

I have been consindering repainting my gth as you may all have being in the rental fleet there ar minor scuffs , im thinking of having the stripes painted as well rather than the normal stripe kits, my concern is will this devalue the car in the long run,, looking for opinions

Cheers

I have been consindering repainting my gth as you may all have being in the rental fleet there ar minor scuffs , im thinking of having the stripes painted as well rather than the normal stripe kits, my concern is will this devalue the car in the long run,, looking for opinions

Cheers

The cars repaint will have more of an effect on its value than the stripes. If you're going to have the car painted then I'd say go with painted stripes.

Have you tried having your GTH professionally detailed where they clay bar, then compound, then polish and finsih with a good quality wax? You would be amazed at how black paint can be brought back on many cars.

Steve

The cars repaint will have more of an effect on its value than the stripes. If you're going to have the car painted then I'd say go with painted stripes.

Have you tried having your GTH professionally detailed where they clay bar, then compound, then polish and finsih with a good quality wax? You would be amazed at how black paint can be brought back on many cars.

Steve

Thanks Steve , i may try that first , just was concerned as to try to keep the car original for a better value in yrs to come ..

Thanks Steve , i may try that first , just was concerned as to try to keep the car original for a better value in yrs to come ..

Yup, most good detailers these days invest time and money on training and products to be able to offer "paint correction".

There's a LOT of paint on our cars, and most scuffs and marring are in the top 20% of the thickness (just an estimate).

Very few modern cars are beyond repair, it's pretty surprising.

Jer

Thanks Jer im going to check out the option of refurbishing the paint job . seems like that is my best option at the moment

Good luck!

Let us know how everything works out.

It would be great if you'd post some "before and after" pix, too!

Jer

Good luck!

Let us know how everything works out.

It would be great if you'd post some "before and after" pix, too!

Jer

will do if i decide to do it over the winter . i do have a harley road king which i rebuilt last winter and redid as a clone to my gth , pretty cool and have been offered a few dollars for the pair .

Cheers

If your scuffs and scratches are not too severe or there is not too many of them, I would suggest taking the car to a professional detailer. They can spot in a lot of minor chips, scratches, rock chips etc. My son works in the Auto Body field and he did my GT-H which had about 15 rock chips and scratches. After he finished adding the paint, sanding (very very fine 1000 paper) compounding and then polishing the car looked great. Honestly the stripes are such an issue that painting them on should not seriously affect the value much so long as you very carefully match the color. Hope this helps and enjoy your GT-H, the renters surely did !! regards, Larry

Thanks Jer im going to check out the option of refurbishing the paint job . seems like that is my best option at the moment

Check this link to a beautifully detailed SGT. A car in the hands of a detailer who knows their job can do wonders with paint.

The cost was a little pricey, but the results were fantastic! This is over on the corvette forum.

Shelby GT Detailed

Check this link to a beautifully detailed SGT. A car in the hands of a detailer who knows their job can do wonders with paint.

The cost was a little pricey, but the results were fantastic! This is over on the corvette forum.

Shelby GT Detailed

Thanks - I was looking for that link to post for this discussion!

But the cost REALLY was crazy. Depends on who ya are, I guess...

Jer

Thanks - I was looking for that link to post for this discussion!

It should convince ANYONE that repainting isn't usually neccessary.

But the cost REALLY was crazy. Depends on who ya are, I guess...

2 things bug me about that article: The GT500 license plate bracket, and the brakes.

Never mind it's an SC with stock brakes, but they could have at LEAST pulled the rotors and painted the hubs a bit. They really look ugly through those wheels.

BTW, Can't tell you how much I DON'T ever want a black car!

Jer

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Steve , i may try that first , just was concerned as to try to keep the car original for a better value in yrs to come

I have thought about the same thing and it all boils down to it is your car do want you want. I keep mine original, just ordered new stripes...had the GTH snake on the rear fuel cap and steering done by uniqueautomotivedesigns and they did a excellent job. won 2nd three our four times at car shows.if you do anything to your car that is not original, make sure it can be undone. Please remember the scathes & dings is what makes it a rent a racer

wolfinger

Archived