TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Royal Purple Transmisson Fluid ?

darksnake

Has anyone used Royal Purple transmission fluid in thier '07-'10 GT500? I've used it in in my '05 GT with great success. But the GT500 transmission fluid specs call for Mercron V ATF, Royal Purple offers a Synchromax Manual Trans. Fluid and a ATF fluid. Was wonder what others have used and thier results. Thx

Thanks for the positive input, as usual. Ordered my Royal Purple Syncomax Friday and it will be in my tranny next week.

From past experience in GT's it also eliminates the increased notchiness realized with short throw shifters...smooooth shifting here we come :}

I swapped my tranny fluid to Amsoil Multi-Synthetic ATF and noticed a nice improvement in smoothness and engagement.

I also did the Amsoil MS ATF and noticed a smoother shift.

I run the Royal Purple Synchromax in all the cars I have in and out in my shop, even track cars...great stuff!!!

Alex

As a big fan of RP, I'd love to use this stuff, but I don't want to jeopardize the warranty, especially considering the transmissions seem to be the trouble spot in these things. Do you know if the Syncromax is warranty friendly? What about using the Max-ATF? Or is that a bad idea?

RP for me just yesterday. Noticed right away it was a lot smoother on the 1-2 shift, but, I just installed a new MGW shifter a few days ago and I made some adjustments to it at the same time I changed the tranny fluid so I am not 100% sure if it was the new fluid or the adjustment to the shifter that made the difference. Either way it is a ton better than it was.

• 6 months later...

I recently installed Mobil 1 full synthetic at the advice of a Tremec factory tech. I works better than anything I tried before including Mercon V, Castrol ATF or Pennzoil SyncroMesh.

How many quarts is capacity?

I've been using RP Synchromax in my S197 for 2 years now, and felt the difference after the swap, smother shifts in all gears.

Already purchased 4QT for the GT500 to be installed when I get home along with a new clutch and flywheel..

Assuming it works as well in the TR-6060 as it does in the TR-3650, and I see no reason it would not.. I’ll be a happy camper.

Has anyone used Royal Purple transmission fluid in thier '07-'10 GT500? I've used it in in my '05 GT with great success. But the GT500 transmission fluid specs call for Mercron V ATF,

I could'a SWORE my 2010 GT500 calls for Dexron II.

I *thought* it said it in black letters on the side of the Trans.

Now I'm gonna have to check.

Phill

Phill,

My 2008 owners manual calls for Mercon, IV i think, but the Dexron sticker you think you saw on the trans is really there.

Steve

Oh crap. I better check my owners manual. Not that warranty is a concern, that went out the window with the first few mods. I was under the impression that I could run a Dex. II syn substitute.

I'm about to pull the rear axle down to install a set of Shelby/Baer rear Extremes and I was planning on changing the trans and diff gear lube to Royal Purple Syn. when I did.

Can we run Royal Purple (or any other good Syn.) gear lube without harming the carbon fiber syncro rings?

I believe the Mercon IV is comparable to the old F-type ATF, which had abrasives in it for the Ford A/T's so I ASSUME FoMoCo wants a similar type ATF in the trans.

I know.......ASS-U-ME !

Phill

• 3 months later...

At 40k miles, I changed out the factory transmission fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax. Have put about 400 miles on since with some stop and go city traffic and it is noticeably better. 5th gear used to have regular but slight gear rattle, and now it is completely gone.

The specs call for 3.65 quarts, so for the .65 quart I measured the quart container from the bottom to where the fluid level is at the top. It is six inches. 2/3 of six inches (.65 approx.) would be two inches from the bottom of the container. Marked the location between the labels, put a light behind the container and watched the fluid level drop to the mark as it was pumped into the transmission.

• 2 months later...

What is the recommend interval when it comes to changing the transmission fluids? I bought a 2010 GT500 a few months ago and I am not 100% sure if they changed the fluids or not (I'm highly doubtful they did) my car only has 10K miles however, I am curious about what intervals everyone recommends. I will stick to the OEM fluid until my warranty is out, I am sure everyone is familiar with the issues the TR6060 has with the 1st to 2nd gear issue so I do not want to risk any potential issues should I run into problems.

Thank you in advance!

What is the recommend interval when it comes to changing the transmission fluids? I bought a 2010 GT500 a few months ago and I am not 100% sure if they changed the fluids or not (I'm highly doubtful they did) my car only has 10K miles however, I am curious about what intervals everyone recommends. I will stick to the OEM fluid until my warranty is out, I am sure everyone is familiar with the issues the TR6060 has with the 1st to 2nd gear issue so I do not want to risk any potential issues should I run into problems.

Thank you in advance!

From the 2011 GT500 Owners Guide Supplement.

Every 150,000 miles (240,000 km)

Change manual transmission fluid

Change rear axle fluid

• 3 months later...

Archived