TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wilwood Rear Big Brakes

Well my guys found time to get started on the rear brakes, had to order a Wilwood specific parking brake cable and thanks to Summit Racing it will be here on Thursday !

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I have been super happy with the quality and looks of the Wilwood's but I did not do enough research at the being to know what else was need when ordering the "kit" we need their specific brake lines part # 220-9248 and the parking brake cable part # 330-9371

Will post more photos when it is done

Andrew

Total cost ?? I was thinking of buying the same set-up .

Front part # 140-9109-DR

$1,954.75

Back part # 140-9221-DR

$1,857.25

Stainless lines part #'s 220-91111 and 220-9248

$106.95 each

Brake Cable part # 330-9371

$119.95

Got it all at Summit tax and shipping extra

I am still thinking these just might fit our stock wheels but since I sold mine I can't tell for certain they also sell them in black and slotted only or plain all of which are cheaper, some how I went with the most expensive set up

Andrew

Is the finish on your black lugs getting chewed up? Or is it the light.

Those rears are Sweeeeet. :sing_rain:

just the light..... the lug nuts are still pristine !

Thanks I am super excited about them not cheap but have thought about them for a while

Andrew

Thanks I am super excited about them not cheap but have thought about them for a while

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

How much were your black lug nuts? I went with Discount Tire black lug nuts; they were about $50. The bonus is that they are keyed too :)

Andrew,

I plan on heading your way in September for the Pony's on the Parkway (Fri - Mon). Maybe we can try one of my stock wheels on your car to see if they fit? Let me know....

Carl

Great idea, I am actually north of Asheville and not too far from the Bull Gap exit (milepost 375.7)

Hi Andrew,

How much were your black lug nuts? I went with Discount Tire black lug nuts; they were about $50. The bonus is that they are keyed too :)

They are McGard's part # 65530BK and I paid about $90 (Made in the USA) and also includes 4 wheels lokcs

Andrew

Great idea, I am actually north of Asheville and not too far from the Bull Gap exit (milepost 375.7)

Andrew

I'll shoot you a PM the week before so we can firm up a meet up time/location details. Look forward to seeing the new SGT.....

What is neat about these are the rear are really 2 in 1

The parking brake is a drum brake that operates inside the hat of the rotor and the disc brakes are not used at all for the parking brake.

The fit and finish of Wilwood is just outstanding and I can't be happier

Andrew

Front part # 140-9109-DR

$1,954.75

Back part # 140-9221-DR

$1,857.25

$106.95 each

$119.95

I am still thinking these just might fit our stock wheels but since I sold mine I can't tell for certain they also sell them in black and slotted only or plain all of which are cheaper, some how I went with the most expensive set up

Andrew

Andrew,

Not trying to dash your hopes on usint the old stock wheels with these but, I think it is highly unlikely. Looked at your pictures closely and I do not see the rotor moving any significant distance towards the differential to give you room to fit. Genral issue outboard piston calipers is that they keep same pad thickness as production for lining life and then have to stuff a piston 1.5 times thicker than the lining to make sure pistons do not dall out. This added length eats up the distance from wheel/rotor face to the spoke's interior edge.

Willing to give you some directional numbers based on I have my stock wheels off and coud measre what distance from the wheel mounting face to caliper nose wold fit. Just means one of your wheels would have to come off again.

Tom

Front part # 140-9109-DR

$1,954.75

Back part # 140-9221-DR

$1,857.25

$106.95 each

$119.95

Andrew

Andrew - They look incredible, I also hear they perform just as incredible too. My question is the installation process, striaight forward I think? Did you do it yourself if so what do you think it would cost to have it done by a performance brake shop? Also I have the Brembo's up front now that SA sold me, do you think I should switch to drilled and slotted rotors front and rear and leave the Bembo's on?

Thanks.

Andrew - They look incredible, I also hear they perform just as incredible too. My question is the installation process, striaight forward I think? Did you do it yourself if so what do you think it would cost to have it done by a performance brake shop? Also I have the Brembo's up front now that SA sold me, do you think I should switch to drilled and slotted rotors front and rear and leave the Bembo's on?

Thanks.

Fortunately my in-laws own a rental equipment company and have shop with a great mechanic, so he works on most of the mechanical stuff on the car and I leave the high end tricky stuff to Appalachian Performance and I take care of all no life threatening if you screw up you do mods, like lights and grills !!!!

The fronts were very straight forward, but you need their Stainless lines do to the difference in fitting styles, OEM ones do not work and if you can turn a wrench you can do yourself.

The rears were a bitch due to the drum parking brakes, had to remove the axles and do a little modifying, he said he would have preferred to pull the motor. Also need their brake lines and their parking brake cable.

I am really glad I did it and would do it again. I was on the fence on getting GT500 Brembos but wanted the backs done as well.

Since you already have the Brembos I would stick with them for up front and the stock backs and paint the backs ( if you go that route I have a G2 black paint kit, you can have)

Drilled and slotted have always been up for debate, I went that route for looks I do not track the car very often but do drive it hard on mountain windy roads.

I have attached the directions for both the font and back

Good luck deciding,

Andrew

Wilwood rear brake 140-9221.pdf

Wilwood brakes 140-9109.pdf

Wilwood rear brake 140-9221.pdf

Wilwood brakes 140-9109.pdf

Fortunately my in-laws own a rental equipment company and have shop with a great mechanic, so he works on most of the mechanical stuff on the car and I leave the high end tricky stuff to Appalachian Performance and I take care of all no life threatening if you screw up you do mods, like lights and grills !!!!

The fronts were very straight forward, but you need their Stainless lines do to the difference in fitting styles, OEM ones do not work and if you can turn a wrench you can do yourself.

The rears were a bitch due to the drum parking brakes, had to remove the axles and do a little modifying, he said he would have preferred to pull the motor. Also need their brake lines and their parking brake cable.

I am really glad I did it and would do it again. I was on the fence on getting GT500 Brembos but wanted the backs done as well.

Since you already have the Brembos I would stick with them for up front and the stock backs and paint the backs ( if you go that route I have a G2 black paint kit, you can have)

Drilled and slotted have always been up for debate, I went that route for looks I do not track the car very often but do drive it hard on mountain windy roads.

I have attached the directions for both the font and back

Good luck deciding,

Andrew

Thanks for the information and again very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew

ANY chance you can do me a huge favor and get me the diameter of the body of those lugs? Or simply are they smaller than the stock acorns?

I need a slimmer diameter lug for my wheels.

ANY chance you can do me a huge favor and get me the diameter of the body of those lugs? Or simply are they smaller than the stock acorns?

I need a slimmer diameter lug for my wheels.

8mm at the widest point (bottom) and 7mm at the narrowest (top) don't know how these compare to stock since my stock ones are up at work in my BIG pile of take off parts

web.jpg

web.jpg

Andrew

• 6 years later...

Well my guys found time to get started on the rear brakes, had to order a Wilwood specific parking brake cable and thanks to Summit Racing it will be here on Thursday !

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I have been super happy with the quality and looks of the Wilwood's but I did not do enough research at the being to know what else was need when ordering the "kit" we need their specific brake lines part # 220-9248 and the parking brake cable part # 330-9371

Will post more photos when it is done

Andrew

did you have an issue with the steel braided flexline mount bracket? (part number 220-9248) i have a 2011 shelby and the mount bracket does not fit right... any ideas?

did you have an issue with the steel braided flexline mount bracket? (part number 220-9248) i have a 2011 shelby and the mount bracket does not fit right... any ideas?

Well, now i have to think and remember if we did anything different to make it fit, it has been a while

This weekend I can pull the wheel and take some photos

Andrew

Found some old photos

IMG00328-20110706-1207-L.jpg

IMG00327-20110706-1207-L.jpg

IMG00326-20110706-1206-L.jpg

IMG00325-20110706-1206-L.jpg

IMG00322-20110706-1205-L.jpg

IMG00318-20110705-1339-L.jpg

IMG00317-20110705-1338-L.jpg

IMG00316-20110705-1338-L.jpg

Archived