TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nav or not ?

winters

Hi All

if all things go well I will be in the market for a used GT500 early next spring . A 2010 or 2011 ( I love those blue valve covers and silver blower ) Anyways i was all set to look for a car with the Sat/nav option till this morning when I read a article the paper about Ford dropping in a J D Power survey from 6th to 23rd. Allan Mulally said that it was due to problems with their touch screens; this is making me re-think this option....

What experiences are you guys having? I've read it was a great system...

Any input would be much appreciated...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems. However I don't use the link setup at all. From what I understand it requires a cellphone such as iPhone or other to feed in online data. And there is where the complaints are apparently. Supposedly not user friendly or something.

All I can say is the Electronics package (not just the Nav) was the best 2K I spent out of the 60K I ended up paying for my car. It really makes the car that much more fun to drive and having the Sirius travel link with radar at my fingertips has saved me from downpours several times already. I haven't really used the navigation as much as some people may but it's been 100% dead on accurate on the 6000 miles I've put on my car to date in the dozen or so times I've had to use it.

All I can say is the Electronics package (not just the Nav) was the best 2K I spent out of the 60K I ended up paying for my car. It really makes the car that much more fun to drive and having the Sirius travel link with radar at my fingertips has saved me from downpours several times already. I haven't really used the navigation as much as some people may but it's been 100% dead on accurate on the 6000 miles I've put on my car to date in the dozen or so times I've had to use it.

+1000 on the travel link radar! While neither of my Mustangs have the 2nd gen nav my wife's 2010 F150 does and we actually used the radar to avoid a HELL of a hail storm while driving back from FL to PA. We saw it coming about 50 miles ahead and would have driven right into it but instead pulled off to get a bite to eat for an hour or so and went on. We drove throught the area about an hour after the storm passed and saw cars with smashed in windows!! This was mid-South Carolina in March... I'll never buy another vehicle again without that Travellink/radar feature.

+1000 on the travel link radar! While neither of my Mustangs have the 2nd gen nav my wife's 2010 F150 does and we actually used the radar to avoid a HELL of a hail storm while driving back from FL to PA. We saw it coming about 50 miles ahead and would have driven right into it but instead pulled off to get a bite to eat for an hour or so and went on. We drove throught the area about an hour after the storm passed and saw cars with smashed in windows!! This was mid-South Carolina in March... I'll never buy another vehicle again without that Travellink/radar feature.

A question...you DO have to have a cell phone with data to get this radar pic of the weather, right? Or does Sirius broadcast weather radar? Maybe Sirius is useful for other than music.

A question...you DO have to have a cell phone with data to get this radar pic of the weather, right? Or does Sirius broadcast weather radar? Maybe Sirius is useful for other than music.

I'm still getting to know my 2012, but I'm almost certain that the Sirius package provides the radar data. No cell phone needed. I used this feature shortly after taking delivery (yes, the system is that intuitive and easy to use, without reading the manual), and it helped me time a trip so I could get in the garage before a nasty thunderstorm hit.

+1 on the Nav unit. It is great. I can see where people have issues with it. I think it is one of the best out there. I have it in both my 2009 F150 and my 2011 GT500. Both are linked to my iPhone and I swap my iPod out of both, I did have it linked to a LG phone before I got the iPhone, worked great there also.. The only complaint is they do not fully download the library on the iPod. The 10MB hard drive works great also. You can import music right from the store bought CD.

A Friend just got a 2011 Audi Q5 with NAV. - no touch screen, can't import directly from a store bought CD and controls/menus are not as intuitive as the SYNC system from Ford.

It is my understanding that people have issues with connecting and don’t read anything and just call to ask questions / complain about the system. “Can’t please them all, all of the time.”

if all things go well I will be in the market for a used GT500 early next spring . A 2010 or 2011 ( I love those blue valve covers and silver blower ) Anyways i was all set to look for a car with the Sat/nav option till this morning when I read a article the paper about Ford dropping in a J D Power survey from 6th to 23rd. Allan Mulally said that it was due to problems with their touch screens; this is making me re-think this option....

I have the Electronics package in all three of my new Ford Vehicles.

2010 GT500

2011 Flex Limited

2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch

The only difference I can see between my '10 GT500 and the two '11 MY vehicles is that the 11's have HD FM Radio included.

And it's NOT just a Navigation system you get. You get Travel Link along with Sync. That allows you to set the parameters on your radio (AM/FM/Sat), climate control, etc. etc. etc. You also get voice control over EVERYTHING. If I want to change the climate control temp I push the voice activation button and speak through the menu to set the temp at....68 degrees.

If I want a particular radio station I tell it to search for "The Heat" or "80's" or "Comedy" (for example).

And you get the weather with a single day forecast, a 5 day forcast or like others have said, a RADAR map that shows real time RADAR feedback. Like others, I have missed Thunder Cells using my RADAR map.

As for the screen in cold weather, I store my GT500 in a unheated garage and we had sub-zero temps this last winter. NO problem with the LCD screen. I'm also at altitude (6100' ASL at my front door) and I have taken the GT500 up to 11,000' ASL and the other cars up to 14,110' ASL (Pikes Peak) without any problem (such as with a plasma screen).

I got the Electronics Package in all three vehicles and I would NOT have purchased eitehr of the two recent purchases if they didn't have the Nav/Electronics in them.

If ALL you want is a Nav system, I agree with the poster to get a stand-alone GPS. The screen is 1/4 the size of the OE Nav and if your radio is turned up you can't hear it but it'll get you where you want to go.

But that is ALL it will do.

As for needing a cell phone, if you want the "911 Assist" you must have a bluetooth capabile cell phone paired to the system. And ANY bluetooth cell phone will do that. You need a little higher end cell to use the voice activated cell phone feature the car comes with (and integrates your contact list, etc). Oh, and there is another reason to get the electronics package. It integrates your cell phone into your Nav/Radio and also uses the Sync voice activated feature with it.

It's the best $2500 you'll ever spend on your GT500.

Phill

The electronics pkg is some much more than just NAV. The interface is awesome...dual zone climate control, media and phone control, etc, etc. Our 2010 GT convertible has it and my 2010 GT500 does not. At the time I bought my GT500 I didn't really care. But now I kind of wish it have it. Get the electronics pkg.....you won't regret it.

2010 GT500

2011 Flex Limited

The only difference I can see between my '10 GT500 and the two '11 MY vehicles is that the 11's have HD FM Radio included.

You don't have HD FM in your '10 GT500? Mine does, I just have to be tuned into a station that broadcasts HD or, am I misinterpreting the artist and song title that is shown on the screen?

However, the electronics is great as you stated.

I have the Electronics package in all three of my new Ford Vehicles.

2010 GT500

2011 Flex Limited

And it's NOT just a Navigation system you get. You get Travel Link along with Sync. That allows you to set the parameters on your radio (AM/FM/Sat), climate control, etc. etc. etc. You also get voice control over EVERYTHING. If I want to change the climate control temp I push the voice activation button and speak through the menu to set the temp at....68 degrees.

If I want a particular radio station I tell it to search for "The Heat" or "80's" or "Comedy" (for example).

And you get the weather with a single day forecast, a 5 day forcast or like others have said, a RADAR map that shows real time RADAR feedback. Like others, I have missed Thunder Cells using my RADAR map.

As for the screen in cold weather, I store my GT500 in a unheated garage and we had sub-zero temps this last winter. NO problem with the LCD screen. I'm also at altitude (6100' ASL at my front door) and I have taken the GT500 up to 11,000' ASL and the other cars up to 14,110' ASL (Pikes Peak) without any problem (such as with a plasma screen).

I got the Electronics Package in all three vehicles and I would NOT have purchased eitehr of the two recent purchases if they didn't have the Nav/Electronics in them.

If ALL you want is a Nav system, I agree with the poster to get a stand-alone GPS. The screen is 1/4 the size of the OE Nav and if your radio is turned up you can't hear it but it'll get you where you want to go.

But that is ALL it will do.

As for needing a cell phone, if you want the "911 Assist" you must have a bluetooth capabile cell phone paired to the system. And ANY bluetooth cell phone will do that. You need a little higher end cell to use the voice activated cell phone feature the car comes with (and integrates your contact list, etc). Oh, and there is another reason to get the electronics package. It integrates your cell phone into your Nav/Radio and also uses the Sync voice activated feature with it.

It's the best $2500 you'll ever spend on your GT500.

Phill

First off you do not need electronics package for sync, I have full voice commands in my car as well,as far as traffic reports, weather conditions, I get that through sync as well ,,,I will admit though I do not have the voice command for the climate controls, oh guess I'll have to reach down 6 inch's to change that, lol.... So like I said before nav just doesn't make sense for the added cost and when you can have a shakes 1000 in it's place..... I use my phone for nav almost 100 percent of the time via bluetooth, so it comes right over the speakers,really awesome actually ,,,but if I really wanted I can still get turn by turn directions through sync, but no need....conclusion is electronics package equals waste....but I will give you that the screen looks cool in the car...lol.....

Checked and found that the Travel Link weather radar is $1.99 per month from Sirius. Another offering not available on Ford is XM weather alert at 9.95 per mo. It overlays onto your map display weather your are heading into.

The Travel Link seems to be a separate "channel" for wxr, with it's own on screen button, looks like.

I'm still getting to know my 2012, but I'm almost certain that the Sirius package provides the radar data. No cell phone needed. I used this feature shortly after taking delivery (yes, the system is that intuitive and easy to use, without reading the manual), and it helped me time a trip so I could get in the garage before a nasty thunderstorm hit.

Sweenstang, have you tested to see if your new rod has the infamous second gear grind? (mine does...rats!)

All of the Sturm und Drang about Ford's electronics is about the new MyFord Touch system which is only available in Explorer, Edge, Focus and Lincoln MKX at the moment - though it's already planned for 2013 Taurus.

It's a hugely powerful system that was released buggy and overly complex, lacking the very first thing Ford should have included - emulations for previous versions - or simple analog buttons, knobs and dials. Updates have already vastly improved stability, but people are still finding it VERY involved to learn - and the vehicle leaves virtually no alternative but to learn to use it.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the system used in Mustang, which is generally considered to be best in class across all makers. Wait until the first time you either outrun, or drive around a severe weather cell.

I know in a 2010 GT500, the electronics package includes the NAV system w/ Sirius, Dual Zone Climate Control, and HID projector headlights. The NAV works great and with the bonus of full voice control for the NAV system, so you never have to look down or play around with anything while driving, like a phone or stand-alone NAV unit. For all that you get, it is worth the extra quid IMO.

Edit: It is HD radio capable as well.

Nav is a waste, much better off with the shaker 1000 system in it's place...much better stereo then the 500... Buy a TomTom or use your phone for nav and have the best of both worlds....oh and it solves your problems of faulty touch screens.....

I don't agree. Navigation is a life saver if you travel. Maybe if you never left your hometown you wouldn't need it. Being military, I move every 3 years- pretty much need it.

As for the shaker 1000 being much better? You're paying $1300 for a powered sub. That's it. No other difference. You can add a sub to the nav unit that is better and cheaper. A JL stealthbox would rock.

Hi All

i just have the std unit--didnt think it was worth the money--the SYNC works flawlessley, interface with my Zune,also made by MS is terriffic--use voice commands all the time.If you need the GPS get yourself a droid smartphone that has voice actiavted turn by turn directions--they work much better--i have 3 cars with GPS and only use the droid

I know in a 2010 GT500, the electronics package includes the NAV system w/ Sirius, Dual Zone Climate Control, and HID projector headlights. The NAV works great and with the bonus of full voice control for the NAV system, so you never have to look down or play around with anything while driving, like a phone or stand-alone NAV unit. For all that you get, it is worth the extra quid IMO.

Edit: It is HD radio capable as well.

Ummm sorry dude...but the HID's are a separate option on the 2010 and not part of the electronics pkg. I have no electronics pkg on my 2010 but I do have HID's.

i just have the std unit--didnt think it was worth the money--the SYNC works flawlessley, interface with my Zune,also made by MS is terriffic--use voice commands all the time.If you need the GPS get yourself a droid smartphone that has voice actiavted turn by turn directions--they work much better--i have 3 cars with GPS and only use the droid

I have a Samsung Galaxy S from Sprint ( Epic 4G ) with Android Froyo - the 2010 GT500 navigation blows it the hell away.

This man knows what he's talking about. The only people other than bpmurr that I have ever seen say it isn't worth it are those who don't have it. What do you think they are going to say?

It raises the interior experience to a whole new level. When you are out in the middle of nowhere on an awesome cruise with NO CELL SERVICE tell me how well your Droid nav works? I keep seeing comments about how all you need is a smartphone. They REQUIRE 3G/4G to work. Integrated NAV requires nothing but clear sky. A crappy TomTom with a 4.3" screen flying off my dash with its AC adaptor in my way doesn't cut it either.

Archived