TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do I need to relocate my steering rack?

Z-man

I'm getting ready to install an Eibach suspension kit on my GT500, and am trying to collect everything I need before I start the project.

I just bought a set of camber adjustment bolts from another Team Shelby member, and for some reason as I was thinking about my purchase this afternoon, a question 'popped' into my head.

When I lowered my old 1991 LX 5.0 Mustang, on or the things you were supposed to do was install a set of off-set bushings where the steering rack attached to the rest of the car. This would move the rack back into the proper position relative to the tie rod ends/links and reduce the effect of 'bump steer' that having the steering rack in the wrong place would cause.

I have never heard this mentioned on the newer cars. Due to advances in suspension geometry since the early 90's, is this no longer required?

Just wondering.

Z-man

No, you do not need to use offset rack bushing like you did on the 79-93 Fox bodies. I do recommend an adjustable camber caster plate though over the camber bolts. If you see the huge deflecting OEM Ford bushing, you will see why the inside of the tires on these cars wear so bad. I use the Maximum Motorsports/Shelby c/c plate on every 05+ I lower.

Alex

No, you do not need to use offset rack bushing like you did on the 79-93 Fox bodies. I do recommend an adjustable camber caster plate though over the camber bolts. If you see the huge deflecting OEM Ford bushing, you will see why the inside of the tires on these cars wear so bad. I use the Maximum Motorsports/Shelby c/c plate on every 05+ I lower.

Alex

Thanks for the info. Since I hadn't heard anything about relocating the steering rack, I thought that was the case, but just wanted to ask.

I'll start with the camber bolts, just to get 'rolling' (pun intended), but will probably upgrade to the caster/camber plates in the future. If the car won't go back into proper alignment with just using the bolts, the future may come sooner than expected.

Any other recommendations or helpful hints for me? I already have an adjustable UCA and an adjustable panhard bar.

Z-man

Yes, do the c/c plates!!! You will have to remove the whole strut and spring again and remove the spring from the strut by the time you realize the front end uneasy feel and heaviness is the huge OEM Ford bushing in the stock strut mount. Also get some good lower control arms. Will help the car hook. I use the Billet Steeda units on most of all my builds with a spherical bearing on axle end for proper articulation and urethane bushing on frame end. Do those two things along with your Eibach set-up and you will be very happy.

Alex

Archived