TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Noise / interference from the speakers

lemarin

I've been driving my GT500 many time in the last 2 months (about 2200 miles on the odo), and I do have a problem since the last week.

When I drive the car, the soundsystem is working perfect at first, but after few minutes driving the car, it starts to have some interferences coming out the speakers. I made many tests, and this interference sounds like a very high frequency, and is coming from all speakers, what ever the volume is high or low, this interference keeps the same level. I played with the balance / fade, and this interference kept coming out from all speakers, still together at the same level. I switched off my Iphone (to avoid bluetooth interference or GPS), and the interferences stays....The only way to stop it is to shut off the radio completely.

Any idea where that comes from ?

I do have a tracking system installed on my car since the first 2 weeks. This system consist of 5 very tiny transmitter located at many places on the car (no one should no where exactly), does this might me the problem ? Also I noticed this interferences starts last week after a specific rides, where I made a brutal acceleration with tires burning. Maybe I've broken something ?

My sound system is the base Skaker 500 w/o GPS.

One more thing I've noticed: if I stop the engine, interferences stop completely.....so it happens only when the engine is running, not when the radio is supply by the battery only.

And by the way my tracking system is notrunning on the car's battery. It has it's own battery.

Not an electrical engineer but I would start with your tracking system. Your installer may have to add some shielding if the cables are near your radio wires. All emitters/receivers can interfere with another system (EMI-electromagnetic interference) whether they are on a common bus or not. I would also try it with your phone no where near your car, even off most phones are not really off. I use an Iphone also and have not experienced any interference through the radio, voice commands are a different story.

In fact, I was at the dealer today for my front tire's vibrations. At the same time, I showed the technician my interference noise.

After few minutes, we realized that the noise was changing frequency, accordingly to the car's alternator load. The car's RPM is not influencing the noise, but if I switch the head light, or the rear defrost, the noise is changing.

So I took an appointment to detect / correct an electrical problem. It might be the alternator, might be a condensor near by, or directly the amplifier or the radio head unit.

To be continued...

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally at the dealer yesterday.

At first, they look at the grounding diagram and follow each ground to make sure they are perfectly attached and works fine. After that, the interference noise were still audible, so they retest everything and order me a new headunit radio module.

That is suppose to solve my problem.....

I was finally at the dealer yesterday.

At first, they look at the grounding diagram and follow each ground to make sure they are perfectly attached and works fine. After that, the interference noise were still audible, so they retest everything and order me a new headunit radio module.

That is suppose to solve my problem.....

so

if it were me, id discoonect the tracking battery to make sure somehow thats not causing the issue.If it stops when the engine is off,most likely its the alt,especially if it varies with load---im not a gear head just an elec engr,but if this were an old car id say check the coil too, but dont even know if these carshave coils

But the tracking system is not even hooked on the car's battery. Like I mentionned earlier, the tracking system consist of 5 small transeiver, about the size of a quarter each, and they are located all around the car into different area, unknown to everybody except for the company who installed them. They have nothing to do with the car'S alternator or the car's battery.

But the tracking system is not even hooked on the car's battery. Like I mentionned earlier, the tracking system consist of 5 small transeiver, about the size of a quarter each, and they are located all around the car into different area, unknown to everybody except for the company who installed them. They have nothing to do with the car'S alternator or the car's battery.

you said in your post they havetheir own battery--so turn them off--if theyresending a radio signal thatd be good to rule them out as a source of interference,even if they get power from your main battery, basically TURN THEM OFF

I cant turn them off as I dont know where they are located. The interferences appears only when the engine is running (alternator is running as well), while those trackers are all the time transmitting.

Anyway I had the trackers installed on the car from the beginning, and the interferences appears about 1 month later.....

I really dont think it's related.

• 2 months later...

Archived