TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock engine capabilities

i was curious to know psi wear and tear on the stock engine, what i should go with as far as a smaller pulley you can order different sizes 4 in total...3.5 producing 7-11.5 psi, 3.25 producing 11-13.5, 3.00 producing 13-15.5, and 2.75 producing 15-17 psi....i would like to know if it would be worth diving into the engine (and my wallet :hysterical: )to ensure longevity and horsies or not haha

thanks in advance,

Adam

EDIT: stupid psi mess up haha

i was curious to know psi wear and tear on the stock engine, what i should go with as far as a smaller pulley you can order different sizes 4 in total...3.5 producing 7-11.5 psi, 3.25 producing 11-13.5, 3.00 producing 13-15.5, and 2.75 producing 15-17 psi....i would like to know if it would be worth diving into the engine (and my wallet :hysterical: )to ensure longevity and horsies or not haha

thanks in advance,

Adam

EDIT: stupid psi mess up haha

Adam,

You probably already know that the stock pulley ~3.75" runs around 5-7

My e-force kit has the 3.5" & under throttle it runs somewhere between 8-10

From what I've been told that is safe for our otherwise stock engines

Uncertain what your goals are, but I'm very happy with my setup now that the tune is finally dialed in

There are others here far more knowledgeable than I, but increasing the boost beyond that may likely require forged internals and yes, open your wallet for those mods

Larry

Adam,

You probably already know that the stock pulley ~3.75" runs around 5-7

My e-force kit has the 3.5" & under throttle it runs somewhere between 8-10

From what I've been told that is safe for our otherwise stock engines

Uncertain what your goals are, but I'm very happy with my setup now that the tune is finally dialed in

There are others here far more knowledgeable than I, but increasing the boost beyond that may likely require forged internals and yes, open your wallet for those mods

Larry

From what I have heard I don't know anything about PSI.

I have heard over and over that our stock 3v 4.6L motor can stand up to 550 HP at the flywheel.

Over 550 HP you will "open your wallet"

No facts to show you, all word of mouth.

I may be wrong, but I believe Ford sells (or did sell) the 550 Whipple w/ installation by certified Ford installer with a continued engine warranty. Beyond that HP, no warranty. So, that seems to confirm the power level recommendation.

I am also running the 3.5 inch pulley along with GT500 pumps that is putting down 455RWHP. Not sure I would push it much farther than that on stock internals, but no issues with mine thus far. As many others will probably state, a good dyno tune is key. I have one of the very first E-force kits (s/n 0007) on my car and have zero complaints.

Boost and compression is hard on engines

Approximately 10% of the Terlinguas have had problems due to this and the internals are falling apart

This does have me a little worried about my SGT/SC since our Terlingua is one with problems

Dare I say ....... Roush installs forged internals in many of their supercharged cars

I am looking into forged internals for the SGT/SC but it may be more cost effective to install a forged built short block

The GT500 fuel pump is something Ford highly recommends for anything over 400hp on our cars due to fuel starvation which can also lead to big problems

so...3.25 pulley, 35$.....and a gt 500 fuel system....$750 ish?....lol....and save up like 5k for forged internals....bah...the boss lady is gunna kill me, thanks guys!...i was also curious about the injectors....it comes with 41lb, i wonder if it would be in my best interest to up to like 60lb? and bbk fuel rails? ive heard of people upping the injectors....but the fuel rails could they possibly help with the fuel starvation problem for now?

thanks again for all and any comments or concerns,

Adam

i quote my lady "i love that they (you all) keep you from breaking Pegasus, but damn shits expensive!" haha....she loves it...she buys me something every month for her....haha

so...3.25 pulley, 35$.....and a gt 500 fuel system....$750 ish?....lol....and save up like 5k for forged internals....bah...the boss lady is gunna kill me, thanks guys!...i was also curious about the injectors....it comes with 41lb, i wonder if it would be in my best interest to up to like 60lb? and bbk fuel rails? ive heard of people upping the injectors....but the fuel rails could they possibly help with the fuel starvation problem for now?

thanks again for all and any comments or concerns,

Adam

i quote my lady "i love that they (you all) keep you from breaking Pegasus, but damn shits expensive!" haha....she loves it...she buys me something every month for her....haha

I've had my E-Force in for about a year now and put several thousand miles plus a track weekend at Sebring on it with no issues. I'm running the stock pulley with the FRPP CAI and putting down 460 HP / 420 lbs TQ at the rear wheels on a VMP tune. 500hp at the crank is my "soft" ceiling, but 550 hp at the crank is definitely my absolute limit! I wanted thrills, but longevity as well!

The injectors that came with the E-Force are probably fine for the stock pulley, but when you start pushing more air, you're going to need more fuel, so consider that if you're going beyond the stock E-Force settings...

Sam

I've had my E-Force in for about a year now and put several thousand miles plus a track weekend at Sebring on it with no issues. I'm running the stock pulley with the FRPP CAI and putting down 460 HP / 420 lbs TQ at the rear wheels on a VMP tune. 500hp at the crank is my "soft" ceiling, but 550 hp at the crank is definitely my absolute limit! I wanted thrills, but longevity as well!

The injectors that came with the E-Force are probably fine for the stock pulley, but when you start pushing more air, you're going to need more fuel, so consider that if you're going beyond the stock E-Force settings...

Sam

How much blower whine is there from the E-Force? If I'm fortunate enough, I'm going to supercharge mine someday. The E has sounded like an awesome system mechanically, but I want to be able to hear it screamin when I get on it.

How much blower whine is there from the E-Force? If I'm fortunate enough, I'm going to supercharge mine someday. The E has sounded like an awesome system mechanically, but I want to be able to hear it screamin when I get on it.

You can hear it, but it's not as loud as a Whipple or Kenne Bell. The sound gets muted because of the design - the rotors "flipped" and buried down in the valley between the valve covers and under the intake runners/intercooler. I like it because of the power output at low boost pressures and because of it's stealth look and sound - nobody knows about it till they see my tail lights!

Sam

You can hear it, but it's not as loud as a Whipple or Kenne Bell. The sound gets muted because of the design - the rotors "flipped" and buried down in the valley between the valve covers and under the intake runners/intercooler. I like it because of the power output at low boost pressures and because of it's stealth look and sound - nobody knows about it till they see my tail lights!

Sam

Alright, thanks. I've done quite a bit of reading on the engineering of it, but haven't interacted with anyone who actually has it on their car yet.

from what ive heard....and seen....no whine at all....stock sound....sleeper...me likey! haha

i do have one further question!

our Ford racing cai....can i hook the edelbrock up to it with a fitting or does it just butt up???....

Yes, it will fit with minor modification! The Edelbrock E-Force kit is designed to work with the stock airbox (or Edelbrock's expensive CAI) and comes with a short, rubber tube to attach the throttle body to the airbox. I used that tube and, cutting about an inch or so off of it, attached it to the FRPP CAI.

The only issue(s) I ran across was the air filter that came with the FRPP CAI was a tad to long/tall, and 1) rubbed on the inner wheel-well and 2) caused a bulge in the hood as it was being pinched between the hood and the wheel well.

I'm certain these issues could have been resolved with further trimming of the tube, but I used my spare filter I got from VMP instead - it was slightly shorter than the original and provided all the clearance I needed. No more bulge or rubbing!

Sam

Yes, it will fit with minor modification! The Edelbrock E-Force kit is designed to work with the stock airbox (or Edelbrock's expensive CAI) and comes with a short, rubber tube to attach the throttle body to the airbox. I used that tube and, cutting about an inch or so off of it, attached it to the FRPP CAI.

The only issue(s) I ran across was the air filter that came with the FRPP CAI was a tad to long/tall, and 1) rubbed on the inner wheel-well and 2) caused a bulge in the hood as it was being pinched between the hood and the wheel well.

I'm certain these issues could have been resolved with further trimming of the tube, but I used my spare filter I got from VMP instead - it was slightly shorter than the original and provided all the clearance I needed. No more bulge or rubbing!

Sam

AWESOME thank you....now...i need to order one....cheapest one i found was on brenspeed...if anyone knows of a cheaper source please chime in but i think they want 6259?...

Strano has stock e-force kit for $5999

Uncertain about shipping

http://www.stranopar...D=145&ModelID=5

Breenspeed & others also has e-force tuner kits (stage 0, 1...) which may be worth considering if you're looking to end up somewhere other than the stock e-force install

You many want to PM Sam for details & cost for his custom VMP tune from Justin

Also ask about McLeod RST clutch, we both ended up with it to handle the new found power of the e-force

Larry

Archived