TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car's with a story

LuckySnake

When I see a classic car with extremely low mileage, I think about two things. First thing I think of is that poor car never had a life or it's a fake. So much more interesting to read about where the car has been and what it has been doing over it's life. I feel sorry for the new GT500's that are being held in captivity, not being used or driven. I understand about trying to keep the mileage low, but not 0. OK, flame suite on.

No flame here. Have over 11,300 on mine. My only sympathies for the cars not being driven are for those folks who want to drive them but can't because of snotty weather. (Everyone is free to define their own level of snotty.)

Spring is pretty well here for many of us. Hope you folks from the lands of snow get your chance soon.

Rock on!

When I see a classic car with extremely low mileage, I think about two things. First thing I think of is that poor car never had a life or it's a fake. So much more interesting to read about where the car has been and what it has been doing over it's life. I feel sorry for the new GT500's that are being held in captivity, not being used or driven. I understand about trying to keep the mileage low, but not 0. OK, flame suite on.

8K since 8/5/06. Bought it to drive it.

bj

I don't care what kind of a mustang it is, they are meant to be driven everywhere! :shift: For example I have a 2004 Mustang, owned it for two years now and have over 50,000 miles on it, yes that's right. :cry: If I owned a Shelby GT 500 that beautiful car would NOT BE SITTING PRETTY!!! :lol::banvictory::cheerleader:

I drive mine in nice weather only....because....

1) I think you appreciate it more when it's not everyday

2) Taking it out only in nice weather means that 12-14 years from now I'll still be driving a car in very good condition...whereas if I drive it every day, it may only last me about 7-8 years before it shows signs of wear/tear.

3) It's safer with a car like this to avoid rain...must be judicious with the power

4) The tires are not supposed to be used in winter temps anyway

5) Less work to wash it once a week than after every rain event...which is quite often here in some seasons

6) There's something really neat about a car that's old (let's say more than 10 years) and still looks like new. That's much easier to accomplish when you avoid the elements.

I have no issue with those who want to drive them daily...I think that's great if that's what you want to do! And I'm sure many of you will buy the "next" hot Ford product in 5-6 years...be it a KR or a GT800 or whatever they come up with. For me, I prefer to stay around 3,000 miles/year so I have the option of driving a pristine car for many years without having to pay for a new model. I'm 45 years old...and I'm thinking I'll only buy about 1 more hi-perf car in my lifetime....in about 12-15 years when I get rid of this one (of course things can change :spiteful: ).

Dave

2) Taking it out only in nice weather means that 12-14 years from now I'll still be driving a car in very good condition...whereas if I drive it every day, it may only last me about 7-8 years before it shows signs of wear/tear.

3) It's safer with a car like this to avoid rain...must be judicious with the power

5) Less work to wash it once a week than after every rain event...which is quite often here in some seasons

6) There's something really neat about a car that's old (let's say more than 10 years) and still looks like new. That's much easier to accomplish when you avoid the elements.

I have no issue with those who want to drive them daily...I think that's great if that's what you want to do! And I'm sure many of you will buy the "next" hot Ford product in 5-6 years...be it a KR or a GT800 or whatever they come up with. For me, I prefer to stay around 3,000 miles/year so I have the option of driving a pristine car for many years without having to pay for a new model. I'm 45 years old...and I'm thinking I'll only buy about 1 more hi-perf car in my lifetime....in about 12-15 years when I get rid of this one (of course things can change :spiteful: ).

Dave

Get rid of it? :redcard::redcard: thats treason! :banghead: Dont you want to be burried in your car? :hysterical2:

...in about 12-15 years when I get rid of this one (of course things can change :spiteful: ).

Dave

Dave! Say it isn't so! :cry: How can you disrespect your Shelby by mentioning the possibility of getting rid of her. You know, she's never going to perform at her best now that you said that.

:poke::hysterical:

Dave

Once the car is paid for (no matter how many miles are on it) it will become your new 401k investment. Have you EVER seen a Shelby FORD Mustang go down in price?

I drive mine to work, 15.7 miles and back...will take it to santa barbara in may for its first "big" trip 360 miles one way........my wife says lets take the t bird..convertable etc....bs...gonna cruise baby....have had it since nov. ......2800 miles only..plus theres a strip on the way down, thats wide open and good driving...gonna give her her head....does she do an honest 160? we'll see...I'm gonna pin it..... :shift:

regards drivinig habits..hey whatever floats your boat..you bought it....its yours and whatever you do or not..is fine by me and why should you care what we think?

Perosnally?

as far as selling it down the road? no don't think so...I bought the 05 gt and traded up, thats one thing..but selling MY shelby.....? no way...I'll be 75...and still own it god willing..I'd rather go out doing a "Vanishing Point" thing then give it up.....

this VIN was born with me....and it dies with me...like the guy in "Used Cars"...bury me in it...or do a viking funeral....makes me no never mind...when I die..she dies...

I drive mine for pleasure only. The stop and go crap of the everyday commute on the jammed freeways just does not cut it. I save the ordinary car for that nasty duty.

That way when I go out for a pleasure drive my car is clean, not beat to crap or filthy.

Only 1500 miles on it since September, that reminds me, I gotta call Sirius, my free six months is up.

With the kind of weather we have here, it would be ridiculous to drive a car like this in the winter. In fact, I am still waiting to drive it for the first time even though it was delivered 3 weeks ago (too much snow around here). From late October until early April, the car will definitely be stored. I do agree with Dave about how driving in inclement weather will shorten a car's life. I actually experienced it with a previous car. However, during those 6-7 months a year when I will drive my Shelby, I plan to use it fairly often (around 6000 miles), including to go to work about 2-3 times per week.

Happily, my daily commute isn't stop and go driving, but rather a fairly long freeway drive (25 miles and back), going against traffic, where I can maintain a good pace. Those 25 miles usually take me about 20-25 minutes with my current car, maybe even less with the Shelby. :)

I will simply try to avoid certain situations/places (heavy city traffic, shopping mall parkings and tight parking spaces in general, driving in the rain, etc.) In other words, when the weather is nice and the Shelby has some open road ahead, it will be my first choice.

As far as eventually selling it, that is not something I would contemplate. My father had a '70 Mach1 for 3 years and then briefly had a '69 Shelby GT350 for one summer, and he still sometimes mentions to me that he should never have let these cars go. I guess I have learned from his mistakes.

With the kind of weather we have here, it would be ridiculous to drive a car like this in the winter. In fact, I am still waiting to drive it for the first time even though it was delivered 3 weeks ago (too much snow around here). From late October until early April, the car will definitely be stored. I do agree with Dave about how driving in inclement weather will shorten a car's life. I actually experienced it with a previous car. However, during those 6-7 months a year when I will drive my Shelby, I plan to use it fairly often (around 6000 miles), including to go to work about 2-3 times per week.

Happily, my daily commute isn't stop and go driving, but rather a fairly long freeway drive (25 miles and back), going against traffic, where I can maintain a good pace. Those 25 miles usually take me about 20-25 minutes with my current car, maybe even less with the Shelby. :)

I will simply try to avoid certain situations/places (heavy city traffic, shopping mall parkings and tight parking spaces in general, driving in the rain, etc.) In other words, when the weather is nice and the Shelby has some open road ahead, it will be my first choice.

As far as eventually selling it, that is not something I would contemplate. My father had a '70 Mach1 for 3 years and then briefly had a '69 Shelby GT350 for one summer, and he still sometimes mentions to me that he should never have let these cars go. I guess I have learned from his mistakes.

+1 she is out now!!!!

Archived