TEAM SHELBY FORUM

track time

hey all you gt-h guys out there,

if you have not got your car on a road course yet you havent lived. lol i dont know what my hesitation was. that is more addicting than drag racing. you don't have to beat your car up out there either to have fun.

i went to hallet motor speedway during the mid-america event and man was that some great fun. i had the only gt-h out there. i will say i need to do something with the breaks other than that all went well for me.

just wanted to share. and chad thanks for the rides now i wish my car was set up like yours.

Glad you had a great experience. Our cars (SGT and HSGT) were designed and built for just what you did with yours. I agree with you on the brakes - it was the first stock item I replaced on my car. As for big brakes, you will use them more than you will use a supercharger on a road coarse (and I have both on my car). Make sure when you deal with the brake issue you install stainless steel brake lines and high temperature brake fluid at the same time. You are going to have a great time tracking your car.

Jim

Hey Gene...glad to hear you enjoyed your GT-H on track...and yes...it is extremely fun and addictive! I went through the same emotions when I started doing open track events in 2005..gradually making improvements to hep the car perform better on track. As some point you will come to the same crossroads as me...and face the decision to either sacrafice ride quality on the street or performance on the track. Very few set-ups are truly great at both. I decided to go the full track only route with a separate car...keeping my pristine Saleen for cruising. Once you cross that path, there's all kind of fun and speed to be had. I built up a 2002 Roush Stage 3 car, full Griggs suspension and brakes...and full cage, racing seats/harnesses and a fire supression system. My lap times dramatically improved and it felt great not being so overly concerned about knicks and chips to the paint. After three years of some incredibile track days, my daughter is heading to college in the fall and I will be selling my track car. If you or anyone you know is interested, please let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300568679677&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

David

PS. On the ebay listing I have links to some great video from SAAC-36 at VIR.

Hey Gene...glad to hear you enjoyed your GT-H on track...and yes...it is extremely fun and addictive! I went through the same emotions when I started doing open track events in 2005..gradually making improvements to hep the car perform better on track. As some point you will come to the same crossroads as me...and face the decision to either sacrafice ride quality on the street or performance on the track. Very few set-ups are truly great at both. I decided to go the full track only route with a separate car...keeping my pristine Saleen for cruising. Once you cross that path, there's all kind of fun and speed to be had. I built up a 2002 Roush Stage 3 car, full Griggs suspension and brakes...and full cage, racing seats/harnesses and a fire supression system. My lap times dramatically improved and it felt great not being so overly concerned about knicks and chips to the paint. After three years of some incredibile track days, my daughter is heading to college in the fall and I will be selling my track car. If you or anyone you know is interested, please let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300568679677&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

David

PS. On the ebay listing I have links to some great video from SAAC-36 at VIR.

Yes, Yes, Yes, drive your Shelbys. Car shows are fun but cannot match the excitement of track days, be they drags or road course. After one experience at Sebring, I had to have the "track fix". The first thing you realize is that street tires and production brakes / fluid just don't get it. Once you turn into a Jekyl / Hyde mode you simply need to upgrade your car if you want to go faster. After looking at my alternatives I decided to leave my GT-H and SGT stock in favor of locating a FR500S race car. These cars are beginning to appear on the market since the closing of the Miller Challenge in 2010. While Ford claims only 325 HP out of the "sealed" 4.6 Three Valve motor (standard on the 2008 FR500S),I can attest to the quickness of these cars. Two weeks ago I took delivery of a very competitive FR500S in "as raced condition", and I cannot tell you how fantastic this car is to drive. Everything about the suspension is all race car and does it ever handle. If you add up all of the mods made to the FR500S, I quickly realized the value of buying one of these super nice cars. And if you go crazy and overdrive the car, the full SCCA, Grand AM approved roll bar may come in handy. SPP has a lot of suspension upgrades, and the brakes / fluid will put you in the "where's the track mode" very quickly. Drive the cars, that's what they were made for. (just my opinion of course) regards, Larry

hey all you gt-h guys out there,

if you have not got your car on a road course yet you havent lived. lol i dont know what my hesitation was. that is more addicting than drag racing. you don't have to beat your car up out there either to have fun.

i went to hallet motor speedway during the mid-america event and man was that some great fun. i had the only gt-h out there. i will say i need to do something with the breaks other than that all went well for me.

just wanted to share. and chad thanks for the rides now i wish my car was set up like yours.

I took 371 out last year on Saturday's open track day. The only complaint I had was the automatic.....It took me a while to realize I never needed to use drive. Of course, I went out with the monster energy driver and realized I had a fear limit on the track. It came when I was afraid we were going to plow into the rear end of a very nice 66 road racer entering a turn. That was when I understood the concept of having great brakes!

Archived