TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installation Sequence?

wingsnut

I have finally started installing some of the mods I've been collecting over the last 3 years and kinda ran into a "what do I do first" situation. I was looking through the factory manual for removing the rear axle and it states to mark the rear shock dust cover prior to disassembling anything for the purpose of being able to properly load the suspension for re-assembly/adjustment. I will be swapping out pretty much everything in the rear as I have a complete new axle assembly, watts link, upper and lower control arms, LCA relocation brackets and FR3 handling pack. Not sure in this case if marking anything prior to taking it apart is necessary. My plan was to check the drive shaft/pinion angle before I started and just start ripping it apart. Am I going to screw myself doing it this way or is there some order I should follow or measurements to take first?

Thanks,

Chip

I was looking through the factory manual for removing the rear axle and it states to mark the rear shock dust cover prior to disassembling anything for the purpose of being able to properly load the suspension for re-assembly/adjustment.

I've done everything you're going to do several times, except the Watts link. I've never figured out why they say this. If you don't do any mods, it goes back to normal all by itself ( barring major FU). If you make mods, it's irrelevant. Besides, your going to replace the shocks anyway. The pinion angle will change with the FRPP handling pack. Any other measurements are taken from removed parts, control arm length for example.

As far as order of installs, that'll become obvious as you disassemble.

I did it all on ramps and/or jackstands.

Good luck and have fun.

Steve

I've done everything you're going to do several times, except the Watts link. I've never figured out why they say this. If you don't do any mods, it goes back to normal all by itself ( barring major FU). If you make mods, it's irrelevant. Besides, your going to replace the shocks anyway. The pinion angle will change with the FRPP handling pack. Any other measurements are taken from removed parts, control arm length for example.

As far as order of installs, that'll become obvious as you disassemble.

I did it all on ramps and/or jackstands.

Good luck and have fun.

Steve

Thanks for the confirmation Steve. It didn't make much sense to me, that's why I decided to see what others thought. I figured if I knew what the pinion angle was before I touched anything I would at least have a starting point when it came time to put it all back together. I purposely waited to do all of these installs at the same time so I didn't have to keep tearing the same things back apart. Turns out I didn't have time to dig into it this weekend anyway.

Thanks again,

Chip

Archived