TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recaro Seats

My new 2012 GT500 now has about 1,300 miles on it, after making a round trip to GA for my daughter's college orientation....what an awesome car! I felt like the B.M.O.C. getting lots of looks and thumbs up driving around the campus. Love the car more and more with every mile....smooth on the highway, great brakes, great handling, tons of power and even got 22.5 mpg on the highway..how can you beat that?

Now for the negative....while driving on the highway the plastic harness belt inserts in my Recaro seats fell out...one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. They have some strange clips that hold them in place that appear to be defective. I called the dealer and they haven't about this problem before. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this with their Recaro's?

My new 2012 GT500 now has about 1,300 miles on it, after making a round trip to GA for my daughter's college orientation....what an awesome car! I felt like the B.M.O.C. getting lots of looks and thumbs up driving around the campus. Love the car more and more with every mile....smooth on the highway, great brakes, great handling, tons of power and even got 22.5 mpg on the highway..how can you beat that?

Now for the negative....while driving on the highway the plastic harness belt inserts in my Recaro seats fell out...one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. They have some strange clips that hold them in place that appear to be defective. I called the dealer and they haven't about this problem before. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this with their Recaro's?

Search around on all the forums. I think I have read from someone else that this has happened to them before..

You mean built German tough...

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/history.html

Acutally...built German tough in Auburn Hills, MI to Ford Motor Comapny specifications!

I just tried to call Recaro direct regarding the probelm and was told they build the seats to Ford specs and Ford owns the design...therefore I would have to go through my local dealer to get the problem fixed.

that sucks about the recaros i hope you get it worked out, i just bought a 2012 with the recaros and hope that this is not a problem with them all

I spoke with Recaro last week...they very VERY helpful. Apparently when Ford spec'd out the seats for Recaro Ford forgot to take into account the reality that plastic expands and contracts in heat/cold situations. They are working on a fix.

• 1 month later...

I picked mine up about two months ago and got it home and one of the inserts fell out of the seat. Turns out the dealer had tried to tape it in with electrical tape. The dealership where I bought it is over 2 hours from my house so I went to the local dealership and they ordered the parts for me. Now 2 months later they tell me the back insert is still on back order. I just called today and got the main Ford customer service number from the local dealership. I then went out for a ride and one fell out of my passenger seat... Now this is happening on two seats of my less than 3 month old car and needless to say I'm really unhappy about this and disappointed by the Ford response I've seen so far. Hopefully since this is a June 2011 thread maybe this fix is being implemented by now and the local dealer just isn't aware or something. Hope to find out more from customer service on Monday.

Other than this seat debacle... I absolutely love this car!

I picked mine up about two months ago and got it home and one of the inserts fell out of the seat. Turns out the dealer had tried to tape it in with electrical tape. The dealership where I bought it is over 2 hours from my house so I went to the local dealership and they ordered the parts for me. Now 2 months later they tell me the back insert is still on back order. I just called today and got the main Ford customer service number from the local dealership. I then went out for a ride and one fell out of my passenger seat... Now this is happening on two seats of my less than 3 month old car and needless to say I'm really unhappy about this and disappointed by the Ford response I've seen so far. Hopefully since this is a June 2011 thread maybe this fix is being implemented by now and the local dealer just isn't aware or something. Hope to find out more from customer service on Monday.

Other than this seat debacle... I absolutely love this car!

dousudo,

I see this is your first post.

Welcome to Team Shelby and congratulations on your new 2012 GT500. These Shelby's are truly amazing vehicles! happy%20feet.gif

The Recaro seatbelt inserts are only a small problem and Ford will get it resolved in time.

The resolution will be coming from Recaro shortly, They have been excellent in helping me get the problem fixed temporarily, until the new tooling is done on the replacement parts. FYI...new tooling will be ready later this month. PM me for details and contact info.

I did not know this was an issue and so far my car has no problems with this. Well, the only problem is my wife is shorter than me and when I put the pedal down her head ends up hitting the plastic unless it is dead center. So hopefully they will have other options to replace them with. But I wonder if I have not experience this yet because I am in NC and for the most part the car has been really hot.

I hope not dbackg, the last thing I want is big chunks of metal on the thing that my head's going to hit in an accident.

Good point, maybe Ford & Recaro will make an alternate seat option for little people.

Does the phone company still produce a phone book?

I had a Ford GT and I don't remember it offering Recaro seats. I do remember that whatever seat they used was very uncomfortable, especially on long road trips! There were only 4 options on that car and Recaros were not one of them and I don't think they were standard either.? I could be wrong cuz it has been 2 years since I sold mine ( for a profit ) but one of the reasons that I sold it was because of the uncomfortable seats! I did love the McIntosh stereo though,I just hope Ford does another one with a twist! Regards, denohew

T'would be nice if the Recaro inserts - or all harness inserts for that matter, were made to some sort of universal spec. Given the amount of wear (if you happen to use a 4/5-point harness, they'd be ideal for a billet option too - or even a metal one that's powdercoated..

An update on my issue.... I called Ford customer service yesterday and they contacted my local dealer with more details who in turn called me today. I'll first say I'm pleased with this type of quick response. They do confirm the inserts are going through a re-engineering process and the new design pieces will ship starting on 9/27/11. Unfortunately my claim is like 360 in the queue for this exact problem so others who have reported this issue before me will get the new me.

• 1 year later...

i searched for threads on this topic and this was the most recent, relevant discussion so I'll chime in. My 2012 is having this problem on both driver and passenger Recaro seats. The driver side plastic inserts fell out in the first 6 months i owned the car, and the passenger side fell out yesterday. My car is garaged and well kept...these inserts are a crap design. Ford is fixing it and service will be great and all, but jeez this brand new $67k car of mine comes with more issues than anything I've ever experienced in this short amount of time. God love it...it's a machine and they break...but not this early on...

i searched for threads on this topic and this was the most recent, relevant discussion so I'll chime in. My 2012 is having this problem on both driver and passenger Recaro seats. The driver side plastic inserts fell out in the first 6 months i owned the car, and the passenger side fell out yesterday. My car is garaged and well kept...these inserts are a crap design. Ford is fixing it and service will be great and all, but jeez this brand new $67k car of mine comes with more issues than anything I've ever experienced in this short amount of time. God love it...it's a machine and they break...but not this early on...

Good grief. A $67K 2012? The top-spec sticker was only $59K.

As for the inserts, this was a well-known problem that existed on the first batch of seats and has been corrected by replacing the them. What other "issues" are you having?

There was a "Bulletin Service" by Ford to get thesed bezels changed with not fee. Mine were changed a year ago......If you are interested I can get it for you in my records. Let me know.

@Madlock: Ford fixed my 1-2 shift problem by replacing 2nd gear, the synchros and all the schwagg that goes with it. it's mechanical...i understand if shit is broken they'll fix it, which they did. The other issue that I have experienced, which to now I haven't shared it with any of you on these forums, just with my dealer, is a "dead" throttle. i've experienced this 3 times. the most recent i started my car in garage, let it idle for about 30 seconds like i always do, and when i put it in gear then went to release clutch and take off i pressed the gas pedal and the RPMs did not go up at all. i looked at my passenger with a WTF expression, put the car in neutral and gave it gas and still there was no revs on the RPMs..zero. then i put the pedal to the floor and same thing. I restarted car and throttle worked fine. happened another time when i was leaving Target parking lot. went to drive off in first gear after i started the car, released clutch and zero throttle. this time the throttle came back after about 10 seconds - I did not have to restart the car. i'm keeping an eye on this problem.

@Amigo: my dealer already replaced the driver side and ordered me the passenger side inserts this week. I should be good. However if you have information I would definitely appreciate it - simply for my piece of mind & records that Ford acknowledges the problem. Are the replacements they use the same design as the original?

No real complaints guys..i love the car. But to come factory with these problems is laughable, at best.

Archived