TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I thought KR's were "exclusive"...

Hey all,

I thought your KR's where supposed to be unique and/or exclusive...Is this legal?

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/shelby-headrests-shelby-gt500kr-leather-headrestsbr20082009-c-3639_3649.html

Phill

I don't know if it is legit either. There is a CS Carroll Shelby Logo on the home page though. My experience with Shelby American is that if I want a KR part, I have to speak with Wendy, who verifies my VIN and I can then order. It would be kind of a shame to lose that exclusivity.

:headscratch::busted:

Those are not "KR exclusive" parts, they are simply headrests that are embroidered to say "KR". So if you own a KR, you can have custom headrests made to your hearts content...

Same for GT500, Shelby GT, etc.

They have some in exotic leathers too, not my taste, but to each his own...

These are fully licensed by Carroll Shelby Licensing.

I was under the impression that Gary Disney was the holder of that license...

Phill

If they are not licensed through SAI, I agree, I suspect SAI will be all over them shortly.

Regardless, if you don't have a KR why would you want a "KR" headrest? If you are doing a clone of a KR thats cool if you can source the parts, however, there are only 1600 genuine 2008 - 2009 KRs. Can't clone the ID plate without getting into the "fraud" category.

Clones don't bother me. Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery.

Champion is also the only supplier of KR trunk decklid liners since I don't believe they are available from Shelby anymore, at least not with the KR logo and Shelby signature. However, the material is slightly different than factory original.

Oh and the KRs are exclusive, you can clone them to the nines but it's that little engine plate and CSM plate that makes it a KR.

If you can buy enough KR parts to "clone" them, then they aren't very exclusive.....are they. And I'm not talking about used parts from current or prior KR owners. These are brand new items.

I don't see *anywhere* on that site that says I have to own a KR to purchase a set of KR headrests. And since they are a licensed Shelby dealer, that makes them "the genuine article". So much for "exclusivity".

Either that or "exclusivity" must mean something different to me than to the rest of you.

And since they are selling KR headrests and trunk liners to the GP, when are they going to make the KR hoods, wheels, splitters, mirror caps, carpets, etc. available to the general public???

I mean.......if they'll sell KR headrests to any old Joe, so much for "exclusivity"....No?

Phill

If you can buy enough KR parts to "clone" them, then they aren't very exclusive.....are they. And I'm not talking about used parts from current or prior KR owners. These are brand new items.

I don't see *anywhere* on that site that says I have to own a KR to purchase a set of KR headrests. And since they are a licensed Shelby dealer, that makes them "the genuine article". So much for "exclusivity".

Either that or "exclusivity" must mean something different to me than to the rest of you.

And since they are selling KR headrests and trunk liners to the GP, when are they going to make the KR hoods, wheels, splitters, mirror caps, carpets, etc. available to the general public???

I mean.......if they'll sell KR headrests to any old Joe, so much for "exclusivity"....No?

Phill

Phill, I think you are confusing the issue. Exclusivity is not about the parts needed to make a clone KR. It's about the CSM tags. It's about the history of the individual Kings. The 2008/09 GT500KRs are no more or no less exclusive than '68 KRs. They built exactly the same number of each. Would you think a clone 68 KR is even in the same league as a genuine '68KR ? The market sure as heck doesn't think so and with a quick VIN check one can verify authenticity. How about clone/repro cobras? Does this make the original genuine cobras any less exclusive?? Hell, they are probably the most exclusive car built in the US period.

I respect your position on it and I know you are of the "value minded" group. Your GT500 is probably better than most pedigree Super Snakes performance wise but that's the point. It's better performance wise (or aesthics, etc..) but it doesn't have the pedigree. Again , I respect that and like your '500 . I chose to get a GT500KR because of the pedigree. Heck , I can take a '500 throw all the KR stuff on it , put a KB on it and bam a car that will tear up a real KR. BUT, I want a real KR not for the parts or the power but for the history, the pedigree and the fact of owning an exclusive car.

NO difference on the guys who mod their cars and put SS stripes on them vs the guys who buy real SSs.The Supers aren't any less exclusive...

Clone away, it won't make the small number of real KRs any less exclusive.

Case in point:

Do you have a pic of your car being "born" at SAI ? Those photos are probably the most valuable pieces of history I own.

post-25640-0-16415600-1309570571_thumb.jpgpost-25640-0-39707500-1309570364_thumb.jpg post-25640-0-83252000-1309570592_thumb.jpg

post-25640-0-39707500-1309570364_thumb.jpg

post-25640-0-16415600-1309570571_thumb.jpg

post-25640-0-83252000-1309570592_thumb.jpg

Andy,

While I agree with most of what you wrote, I will say this. Phil's GT-500 HAS the Shelby pedigree. His car has Shelby DNA. While it may not have been built at SAI, the car is a product of the partnership between Shelby and Ford. If he had a Mustang GT, Bullitt, or a California Special, then I would agree.

The reason I originally purchased a GT-500 was I always wanted to own a Shelby, and I always wanted to own a Mustang. The GT-500 was the perfect fit for what I wanted.

As for the KR, the economy is pretty much the sole reason why I own one now. I loved the car when it first came out but didn't pay it much mind only because with the sticker price and ADM's, there was no way I could logically spend that kind of money for one. Gary (shelbypt) opened my eyes to how affordable the KR's had become.

I would love to own a Ford GT but, right now I'm not in the position to do so. If I never purchased real estate investment properties, then perhaps one could be parked in my garage. While I may not be the smartest guy in the world, I'm pretty sure the real estate will net me a bigger return than the Ford GT.

..........................damn, how did I get on that tangent? Ok, I'll leave it there....lol

Joe,

I probably came off not-so-clear... Phill's Shelby is very much a pedigree GT-500 and certainly is a 100% Shelby vehicle. It just doesn't have a "supersnake" pedigree. He brought his GT-500 up to a supersnake level but it doesn't have the official "seal of authenticity" for supersnakes and yet it doesn't make it any less of a Shelby GT-500 nor does it make authentic supersnakes any less exclusive. Same thing applies here with KR clones or GT-500s with KR parts on them. They are certainly Shelbys just not authentic KRs and the real KRs not any less exclusive.

Just a different viewpoint that's all. I have absolutely no issue at all with people cloning KRs and in fact admire the artistic ability some have to get it right on. Just don't portray as a real KR, but again these clones make the real ones no less authentic.

Truth be told, I'm actually glad parts are being reproduced now as it will make my job a whole lot easier in years to come to replace items if need be...

Any discussion of cloning or the ability to "clone" a GT500KR generally makes the assumption that it is cost effective to do so. It is cheaper to just buy a genuine KR.

At this point with the few remaining "new" KRs left I completely agree.

Phils statement is misguided. Andy is dead on the money.

Even if you can clone a KR on your own it doesn't make it a KR. End of story. In years to come when the clone KR is sitting next to the real KR which one will command the interest and dollars? The smart money is on the genuine KR.

Hell, go clone a Porsche GT3RS, GT2, Corvette ZR1, Viper ACR, F430 Scud or any other truly desireable and "limited" car. I could go on and on. The parts are there to clone them. Which would most people want and prefer? My bet it is the genuine article. Classic example is the Shelby Cobra. You can clone a Shelby Cobra. All the parts are available. You want the clone or the genuine article of either a Shelby original or Shelby contintuation series? I know which one I'm picking and it aint the clone.

I think most get it.

Speedyman is right and Andy is right. With the few KRs left on dealer lots and current buy in prices the smart money is on buying the geniune article.

Case closed (as far as I'm concerned).

Real thing...

clones1.jpg

Clone...

clones.jpg

Which one would you want???

Wait... don't answer that! :hysterical:

Jim, you posted this at 2:22pm on a Friday afternoon....must've been a reeaaaallly sloooooow work day... :hysterical:

Archived