TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spacers

NMAv

In order to be able to wider tires on my OEM wheels on a 2011 SVT I am considering using a 20 - 25 mm spacer which will take the wheel out a little under an inch (and I believe will still look OK). I will then have the OEM wheels widened by 1.25 - 1.5 inches so that I can comfortably get 305 - 315s on the rear and won't bump up with anything in the wheel well. My question is, besides introducing another potential failure point into the equation, what, if anything is detrimental about using spacers. I have read several posts where people have sold wheels instead of going with a spacer. With a 20 - 25 mm spacer, it actually bolts on to the existing studs and you utilize new studs on the spacer to mount the wheel. As of now I'm thinking this is a viable solution but am wondering why I've not read about someone else doing this (afraid I'm overlooking the obvious)?

I run them on my 01 Cobra with no issues, not near the power as the Shelby. I would not run them at the drag strip (Some don't allow then) or track days. If doing for looks or daily driven, then will work fine, but once add sticky tires and hard launches, I would not use them due to the extra failure point and aluminum construction. Just my opinion.

Lots and lots of real race cars run wheel spacers.

However, if it was me, I wouldn't run spacers with studs built in. I'd find flat spacers and invest in a longer set of studs for the OEM hubs for any amount of track duty. For the street, you won't have any issues with the spacers you've got. Good luck.

Archived