TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 is a pig

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great pic!

Here's a couple of a friend/customer of mine taking delivery of his GT500 next to his original GT500KR

GarrysShelby2.jpg

GarrysShelby1.jpg

Now thats a postcard picture if I ever seen one, thanks for posting killa. :bowdown:

cactus, I've seen several posts here on mods to get you the feel you're looking for....hopefully that's what you needed. It would be nice to see you respond to those people directly to let them know whether you found their advice useful. People give their time and expertise on the forum to help others, so I think it's fair to let them know whether their info helped you.

For instance, one guy mentioned you could install a panhard bar, different shifter, pulley, axle-back exhaust, CAI, etc....but I didn't see you respond to tell him whether that was helpful. We can't read your mind...so let us know! What about the comment you made about people reporting their HP around the 420-440 range....and you said that was nowhere near 500. One guy asked you if you knew the difference between FWHP and RWHP...but I haven't seen you respond to that comment.

I can't offer you much advice, as I'm a "straight line" guy, and mine is fine in the corners for me.

Good luck, and let us know what your plans are to get your car to "feel" the way you want. The possibilities are endless!

Dave

Dave, I just wanted to let you know I only get on the computer once or twice a week. I do appreciate the imput I have received thus far.

Your question about HP ....... RWHP if I'm correct is(rear wheel horsepower) Factored after doing a 15% deduction for parasitic loss..correct?

FWHP not a clue. Is that the HP rating at the crank?

The advice I have been given on the supension sounds good looks like I will be going with an Evo setup. The JLT CAI and tune package sounds attractive also.

I must admit I am a little stymied by chossing a better exhaust. I may just wait to get a better idea as time goes on to see what the overall consensus will be when the jury is in.

As was the case when I had my 03 Term I was amazed at the level of knowledge that was in the forums at SVT performance.com Only difference there was I loved my 03 right out of the gate and never whined about it. Guess after being so used to it seems to have taken me a period of adjustment to warm up to my darling pig :)

Made a lot of good friends here in Washington and we did a a group cruise the spring after the termie was released. There were 17 03 in the cruise and we had a blast. We took a group picture at a lighthouse up here in Wa. The kicker was a game warden had stopped to admire all the HP and we talked him into doing a gruop shot with us so was parked in a huge semi circle and he parked right in the front of us and he stood right at his jeep and some of stood outside of our rides with out hands against the hoods. It made for an awesome shot. I will have to rummage and post it if I can find it.

I have a confession to make girls and boys. I finally got a weekend off this past week and got to take the ole girl out and put her thru the paces. Kathy and I took it up on I 90 here in WA state. There is a nice level stretch of road in the middle of nowhere or at least between towns. I am fast changing my opinion of my ride. Had the radar detector on and was in a spot that is known not to be patroled too heavy. Or heavily traveled by folks

So here we were tooling along and what did Kathys eye spy? A 05 Viper. He sorta just followed behind for a bit playin me and looking frisky. After a bit he gave her some and pulled up along side and he was an older dude with one of those funky leather flight beanies or whatever you call them. you know the ones with the ear flaps. He looked hilarious.He sort of nodded his head in what we perceived was a fellow enthuisists nod of appreciation. He again got on it and pulled ahead , drifted back and darted ahead again. Kathy says hey "Honey I think he wants to play". I'm thinking ya right that old fart. Cause dont ya know how many people have you seen in performance rides, vettes ferraris etc that cant even seem to remember what the car was built for. Well you know what I mean right??

To make an already long story short, I dropped down from 5th to 4th and gave it a little push nothing major did even open the blower up. Dude came up alonside again and smiles a crooked smile and points down the road ahead. I look ahead to see what the traffice was looking like. this ole boy one more time sort of rolls his hand around and aroung quickly and then points forward again and off he went, well it had become real clear that he was serious and off we went, man can I tell you this thing does have some serious power. Im not sure whether we were gaining or he was letting off but we were getting closer road was flat and I could see for at least 3 or 4 miles that were clear and wide open no traffic. I looked at Kathy and although shes a tough girl, she was sorta lookin scared, she turned and looked back and said go for it I'm not scared you know you want to. Well folks she did not have to repeat those words again. :) This time I got the jump on Snoopy and the game was on. I seemed to be walking away from him for a bit got to the top of 5th and when I looked at the speedo we were coming up on 140 by this time Snoopy was right on my ass and I got a little scared myself and decided to shut it down, dude kept on going no way to tell what his top speed was but he was traveling at at least 150/155 I figure. Finally came up on some other traffic and everything mellowed out.

Snoopy had slowed and actually was falling back so he could give me the oppurtunity to pull up alonside of him, he in the right lane me in the left. He gave me the biggest **** eating grin gave me the thumbs up a nod of the headand off he went and took the next exit. This little jaunt has given me a new appreciation of my new ride.

I can see what you guys are saying about it power band being more linear than the 03 I had.

Now folks dont get PO ed at me but I have to say this I on more than one occasion had my termie up to the rev limiter at 158 MPH and I did not have that same level of confidence or sense the same surefootadness as I did with the 03 at speed. Not sure why it just doesnt to track as well and solid as the other ride. Thats why I said I got scared and backed off with the Viper. How much different is the Shelby suspension form the 03 Cobra's? I am hoping that with the Evo package this will change.

Well thats it for now and again I do appreciate the wisdom you guys have shared with me thus far.

I hope that in spite of my ignoraqnce in the beginning I will have the same kind of connection and friends as I did with thew 03 boys.

Chow....................... sorry if I put you all to sleep.

Good story Jumpin.

Maybe you got a tad scared because it was the 1st time you had your GT500 up to that speed and your not used to the car yet. With in some more time you will get to know the pig better and it will fit like a glove. Good to have your here on the forum. :)

Dave, I just wanted to let you know I only get on the computer once or twice a week. I do appreciate the imput I have received thus far.

Your question about HP ....... RWHP if I'm correct is(rear wheel horsepower) Factored after doing a 15% deduction for parasitic loss..correct?

FWHP not a clue. Is that the HP rating at the crank?

The advice I have been given on the supension sounds good looks like I will be going with an Evo setup. The JLT CAI and tune package sounds attractive also.

I must admit I am a little stymied by chossing a better exhaust. I may just wait to get a better idea as time goes on to see what the overall consensus will be when the jury is in.

As was the case when I had my 03 Term I was amazed at the level of knowledge that was in the forums at SVT performance.com Only difference there was I loved my 03 right out of the gate and never whined about it. Guess after being so used to it seems to have taken me a period of adjustment to warm up to my darling pig :)

Made a lot of good friends here in Washington and we did a a group cruise the spring after the termie was released. There were 17 03 in the cruise and we had a blast. We took a group picture at a lighthouse up here in Wa. The kicker was a game warden had stopped to admire all the HP and we talked him into doing a gruop shot with us so was parked in a huge semi circle and he parked right in the front of us and he stood right at his jeep and some of stood outside of our rides with out hands against the hoods. It made for an awesome shot. I will have to rummage and post it if I can find it.

I have a confession to make girls and boys. I finally got a weekend off this past week and got to take the ole girl out and put her thru the paces. Kathy and I took it up on I 90 here in WA state. There is a nice level stretch of road in the middle of nowhere or at least between towns. I am fast changing my opinion of my ride. Had the radar detector on and was in a spot that is known not to be patroled too heavy. Or heavily traveled by folks

So here we were tooling along and what did Kathys eye spy? A 05 Viper. He sorta just followed behind for a bit playin me and looking frisky. After a bit he gave her some and pulled up along side and he was an older dude with one of those funky leather flight beanies or whatever you call them. you know the ones with the ear flaps. He looked hilarious.He sort of nodded his head in what we perceived was a fellow enthuisists nod of appreciation. He again got on it and pulled ahead , drifted back and darted ahead again. Kathy says hey "Honey I think he wants to play". I'm thinking ya right that old fart. Cause dont ya know how many people have you seen in performance rides, vettes ferraris etc that cant even seem to remember what the car was built for. Well you know what I mean right??

To make an already long story short, I dropped down from 5th to 4th and gave it a little push nothing major did even open the blower up. Dude came up alonside again and smiles a crooked smile and points down the road ahead. I look ahead to see what the traffice was looking like. this ole boy one more time sort of rolls his hand around and aroung quickly and then points forward again and off he went, well it had become real clear that he was serious and off we went, man can I tell you this thing does have some serious power. Im not sure whether we were gaining or he was letting off but we were getting closer road was flat and I could see for at least 3 or 4 miles that were clear and wide open no traffic. I looked at Kathy and although shes a tough girl, she was sorta lookin scared, she turned and looked back and said go for it I'm not scared you know you want to. Well folks she did not have to repeat those words again. :) This time I got the jump on Snoopy and the game was on. I seemed to be walking away from him for a bit got to the top of 5th and when I looked at the speedo we were coming up on 140 by this time Snoopy was right on my ass and I got a little scared myself and decided to shut it down, dude kept on going no way to tell what his top speed was but he was traveling at at least 150/155 I figure. Finally came up on some other traffic and everything mellowed out.

Snoopy had slowed and actually was falling back so he could give me the oppurtunity to pull up alonside of him, he in the right lane me in the left. He gave me the biggest **** eating grin gave me the thumbs up a nod of the headand off he went and took the next exit. This little jaunt has given me a new appreciation of my new ride.

I can see what you guys are saying about it power band being more linear than the 03 I had.

Now folks dont get PO ed at me but I have to say this I on more than one occasion had my termie up to the rev limiter at 158 MPH and I did not have that same level of confidence or sense the same surefootadness as I did with the 03 at speed. Not sure why it just doesnt to track as well and solid as the other ride. Thats why I said I got scared and backed off with the Viper. How much different is the Shelby suspension form the 03 Cobra's? I am hoping that with the Evo package this will change.

Well thats it for now and again I do appreciate the wisdom you guys have shared with me thus far.

I hope that in spite of my ignoraqnce in the beginning I will have the same kind of connection and friends as I did with thew 03 boys.

Chow....................... sorry if I put you all to sleep.

The Terms have an IRS and the GT500 is a solid axle rear.

This time I got the jump on Snoopy and the game was on. I seemed to be walking away from him for a bit got to the top of 5th and when I looked at the speedo we were coming up on 140 by this time Snoopy was right on my ass....

How much different is the Shelby suspension form the 03 Cobra's? I am hoping that with the Evo package this will change.

Jumpin, are you running stock gears? I drove a GT500 with 3.73s and she very quickly gets to 140 in 4th ...and there's more revs to go still. With 3.31s you had to be in 4th (or 3rd! <lol>) not 5th, I think.

Yeah, the Evo ultimate suspension will make a big diff but you will want to give some thought to what you're trying to achieve overall, e.g. improved road-course handling might point you toward lowering springs, the tokiko D-spec shocks and other pieces. If it's primarily power that you can get to the ground, the Evo Ultimate Susp and and stage-II will really ad some serious kick. You asked also about exhaust. Ask Fred @ Evo about stage-IV Kooks long-tubes, x-pipe and bullet cats and full 3" exhaust ...625-630wHP with Evo tune.

I appreciate your comments on the '03 Cobra IRS -- very stable and forgiving on lumpy turns that frustrate the stick axle on the S197s, but there so much availabe for these cars now that it's really a matter of where you want to get to and how much you want to spend.

Btw, I totaly agree with your conclusion so far with the JLT CAI and Evo Suspension -- a great base you can build on -- then it's just a matter of how much HP you want <lol> Stage-II/IV, gears, handling pieces.. whatever you like :devil:

Good luck and nice story (imo, Evo stage-II and 3.73s would have deep-fried that Viper without trying -- even with his snoopy hat tied on <lol> :spiteful: )

;)

-Dan

Well looked around and found a couple of the pics. The one at the lighthouse is not the one I was hoping to find and post. This one only has eight rides there about half of the other boys had to roll on back to thier pads But none the less thats 3120 HP sitting there. The lone black 03 was my ride. Sorta brings a tear to my eye (sniffle)

Seem to be having trouble posting my pics. Help anyone??? I will post a pic of my GT as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Well looked around and found a couple of the pics. The one at the lighthouse is not the one I was hoping to find and post. This one only has eight rides there about half of the other boys had to roll on back to thier pads But none the less thats 3120 HP sitting there. The lone black 03 was my ride. Sorta brings a tear to my eye (sniffle)

Seem to be having trouble posting my pics. Help anyone??? I will post a pic of my GT as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Jumpn,

While you're composing a reply/post, just below and to the right of the window you're tying into: click "browse" and browse to a pic you want to atach, then click "upload" (green box) to pre-load it. Repeat that for each pic you want to include. Position your cursor where you want the images in the post, then click the pull-down list (the down-arrow to the right of "Manage Current Attachments") and a list of the images you loaded will appear. Click the little green + (left-most box in the pull-down) to add each image into the post. You can then PREVIEW your post and/or click ADD REPLY. Sounds complicated, but it's easy once you do it once.

If you click reply on this post, you'll be able to just read these instructions while you load the pix ;-)

-Dan

Jumpn,

While you're composing a reply/post, just below and to the right of the window you're tying into: click "browse" and browse to a pic you want to atach, then click "upload" (green box) to pre-load it. Repeat that for each pic you want to include. Position your cursor where you want the images in the post, then click the pull-down list (the down-arrow to the right of "Manage Current Attachments") and a list of the images you loaded will appear. Click the little green + (left-most box in the pull-down) to add each image into the post. You can then PREVIEW your post and/or click ADD REPLY. Sounds complicated, but it's easy once you do it once.

If you click reply on this post, you'll be able to just read these instructions while you load the pix ;-)

-Dan

Thanks Dan here we go..............

post-8119-1175218114_thumb.jpg

post-8119-1175218124_thumb.jpg

post-8119-1175218114_thumb.jpg

post-8119-1175218124_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1175258408_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1175258361_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1175258451_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1175258691_thumb.jpg

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Loved my termie - the Sonic Blue one is my buddies that was an 03. His got T-boned by an 18 year old girl on her phone. At the time it had about 600hp, and was just plain evil.

Mine got hit and run on, in a parking lot while I was at dinner. I was parked in a safe spot of a parking lot, when a drunk person left the bar, and backed up about 50 feet from their space, running into and destroying my front fender and driver door. After that it was never the same, developed all kinds of rattles and I had to let her go.

:(

These shots are from the day after I got her, with 6 coats of Zaino on. If it hadn't been hit, I'd still probably have it to this day. But now my buddy and I are looking forwards to getting a pair of GT500's and doing it all over again when they come down to MSRP. :happy feet: :ohsnap:

I have pics of my original dyno pulls as well which was a great memory to have.

post-6801-1175258509_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1175258509_thumb.jpg

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Loved my termie - the Sonic Blue one is my buddies that was an 03. His got T-boned by an 18 year old girl on her phone. At the time it had about 600hp, and was just plain evil.

Mine got hit and run on, in a parking lot while I was at dinner. I was parked in a safe spot of a parking lot, when a drunk person left the bar, and backed up about 50 feet from their space, running into and destroying my front fender and driver door. After that it was never the same, developed all kinds of rattles and I had to let her go.

:(

These shots are from the day after I got her, with 6 coats of Zaino on. If it hadn't been hit, I'd still probably have it to this day. But now my buddy and I are looking forwards to getting a pair of GT500's and doing it all over again when they come down to MSRP. :happy feet: :ohsnap:

I have pics of my original dyno pulls as well which was a great memory to have.

They look GREAT, DC!!!

You also struck a nerve .... I had my 68 R-code 1-week when a drunk backed up like 3 car-lengths right into my parked baby. Fortunately the damage wasn't terminal, but he managed to get the whole front and even one fender! Argggh! -- still gives me shivers!

They look GREAT, DC!!!

You also struck a nerve .... I had my 68 R-code 1-week when a drunk backed up like 3 car-lengths right into my parked baby. Fortunately the damage wasn't terminal, but he managed to get the whole front and even one fender! Argggh! -- still gives me shivers!

Mine got backed into 2 months after I got it - and it was this shiny and clean when it happened.

Talk about soul crusher.

I would have given ANYTHING to have caught the guy.

Anything. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

For sure... makes me wonder how fearsno1 is doing in finding a replacement GT500 for the one that drunk woman trashed. He's been MIA for a while... hope he's ok.

He got a new one. Vista Blue w/ White Stripes. He's posted about it on svtperformance

Archived