TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 is a pig

I hate to say it and I know I am going to get flamed right outta here but I must say I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

Keep in mind all I have to compare it too is my 03 SVT Cobra that I traded in for this pig. Only mods I had on my 03 was a Borla Stinger and a CAI. My 1/4 times with the 03 were at best 12.09 @ 116 mph. The car made 415 RWHP SAE corrected. The GT 500 is not much better than this and it sports a 5.4 L mill. The 03 was a 4.6L

The GT 500 in not that much heavier so it cant be a weight thing

Here are the reasons I am sad about the loss of my 03. The 03 rode like it was on rails. Handled much more superior than the 500. Ford went to a live axle in the GT due to lots of feedback from 03 and 04 cobra owners thinking it would eliminate the wheel hop that the 03 was riddled with. Although the wheel hop in my 03 was fixed with some bushings and a little patience.Well guess what Ford the GT 500 has wheel hop also so much for the live axle. The IRS in the earlier model Cobras was a much better ride and had better handling.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration. It just not pull like my 03 did. All the way around I feel that my 03 was a far superior car. The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned I even went back to the dealer to see if I could buy back my 03 and it was gone :(

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge, what can I do to improve the throttle response, improve the lousy handling, and get this pig to pull like my 03 did. I really am resentful at this point with all the wait and all the hype, I just hope that I can somehow come close to having even somewhat of the same ride and performace that the 03 had.

After the intitial flames maybe you guys can tell me what you have done to improve your ride quality,handling and performance in the GT.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to say it and I know I am going to get flamed right outta here but I must say I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

Keep in mind all I have to compare it too is my 03 SVT Cobra that I traded in for this pig. Only mods I had on my 03 was a Borla Stinger and a CAI. My 1/4 times with the 03 were at best 12.09 @ 116 mph. The car made 415 RWHP SAE corrected. The GT 500 is not much better than this and it sports a 5.4 L mill. The 03 was a 4.6L

Here are the reasons I am sad about the loss of my 03. The 03 rode like it was on rails. Handled much more superior than the 500. Ford went to a live axle in the GT due to lots of feedback from 03 and 04 cobra owners thinking it would eliminate the wheel hop that the 03 was riddled with. Although the wheel hop in my 03 was fixed with some bushings and a little patience.Well guess what Ford the GT 500 has wheel hop also so much for the live axle. The IRS in the earlier model Cobras was a much better ride and had better handling.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration. It just not pull like my 03 did. All the way around I feel that my 03 was a far superior car. The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned I even went back to the dealer to see if I could buy back my 03 and it was gone :(

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge, what can I do to improve the throttle response, improve the lousy handling, and get this pig to pull like my 03 did. I really am resentful at this point with all the wait and all the hype, I just hope that I can somehow come close to having even somewhat of the same ride and performace that the 03 had.

After the intitial flames maybe you guys can tell me what you have done to improve your ride quality,handling and performance in the GT.

First off your in the wrong forum. This if for the Shelby GT. You will get a better (????) response if you post in the GT500 section.

Second, the GT500 might weigh more but it will smoke a 03 Cobra any day of the week. Check out the GT500 section for mods that you can do to the car to make it perform better. A typical CAI and ECU tune will net you 60 plus hp to the wheels. Add an exhaust and smaller pulley to that and you could have 150 plus rwhp.

Listen Newby,

What do you expect to get from us comming on here and bashing our car. Are you serious. Get a grip. You come asking us shelby owners for help and call our car a pig several times. I am sorry. Then you call it a glorified GT with a badge. All I can say is I got my big eye ball on you.

Watch it mister. <_< And learn to have some tact would ya.

Also learn which forum your wanting to post in. :finger:

WOW .... looking at all the people reading this post .... All i can say is

DITTO Grabber .... no reason to add anything else than what you eloquently just said.

Jumpin ..... no way to start your first thread .... time to head for the hills and leave this forum alone

HEY DUDE

got to tell ya ... almost changed my red/white for your color ... ONE HOT M F :happy feet:

WOW - don't hold back ----- I won't say any more for fear of being banned.

HSURB

I am severly disapointed with my GT 500.

My GT really is a pig under acceleration.

The only thing the GT has is a Shelby badge on it and Carroll had very little to do with this vehicle.

I was so dis-illusioned

So now that Im stuck with a glorified Gt with a badge

One of our members / moderators here happens to work for Carroll Shelby. You have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Carroll Shelby, and your insults are not needed here.

You don't even seem to know if you have a Gt or a GT500 by the wording in your posts.

I do agree with you that you are dis-illusioned.

I see that you made this thread and then split immediately...what a joke. :hysterical:

One of our members / moderators here happens to work for Carroll Shelby. You have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Carroll Shelby, and your insults are not needed here.

You don't even seem to know if you have a Gt or a GT500 by the wording in your posts.

I do agree with you that you are dis-illusioned.

I see that you made this thread and then split immediately...what a joke. :hysterical:

Can you say taaaroll!!!

troll.jpg

..I'm guessing an instigator, not a real owner. :censored:

The numbers he is posting for his terminator seem a bit suspect also. He would be in the high first percentile with that type of rwhp with just borlas, and the 12.09 is much better that one would expect without mods. If he was real, and not just here to cause trouble, it would be easy to figure out how to mod the shelby. Every magazine and every site is full of this information now. My thought

your_a_tool.jpg

your_a_tool.jpg

I think you're full of sh*t. I'm calling you out right now - you don't own a Shelby anything - in fact, I doubt you even own a Mustang at all. Probably a bow tie wuss.

Wow. You got 70+ rwhp out of a set of mufflers and a cold air intake? (Must've been a K&N that required no tune :hysterical2:

:hysterical2: )

You also have outstanding drag racing skills, given the 12.09 @ 116 with that much power. I suppose those were street tires, too, huh?

Given your high level of accomplishment, I'm stunned that you can't feel the difference between your Termy and the GT 500. Stock vs stock, there's about 100 rwhp difference...and about 300 lbs more girth. Just taking advertised numbers that's 9.38 lbs weight ratio for the Term and 7.9 for the GT500. Same day...same driver...guess who wins?

There's a nifty SEARCH feature you should try if you're really not going to scrap your GT500. You'll find a pleathora of quick, easy mods that will allow even you to feel the difference in your butt-dyno.

In the meantime, I'll warn Fred and the guys at Evolution about you. Because with a couple of quick bolt-ons and a tune, you'll surely blow their sub-10s out of the water.

Good luck...and welcome to the forums newbie. Oh..and you're in the wrong one.

:finger:

bj

I believe this qulifies you as today's winner of the I have my head in my you know what award.post-6385-1174316055.jpg Congrat's, you must be proud.

post-6385-1174316055.jpg

Well, I know for a fact that a GT500 with proper traction will beat a Terminator with proper traction - all stock. Won't be a big margin of victory (just a few tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile), but a victory none-the-less.

However, the S197 platform does really disappoint in the butt-o-meter department, as our new friend so "eloquently" pointed out. The chassis is so much better and more refined than the SN95 platform, and the power comes on so linearly without the peakiness that the prior cars had, that it gives the illusion that it is going much slower than it really is.

So in summary, the GT500 outperforms the Terminator; it just does not feel like it does.

it is hard for me to tell exactly how you feel with you sugar coating your comments like that, damn.

I love my PIG, I will take it over an 03 cobra any day. Right out of the box the very foundation of the car is far superior to the wet noodle you traded in. my $.02

Chasis geometry alone makes the GT500 a better car.

:redcard:

take it back

you don't iknow what you're talking about :finger:

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. You are not the first. My advice, and I am sure I too will get the flames. Sell and buy the Shelby GT with the S/C. I have had my 2007 Shelby GT for 2000 miles now and love the way it handles. What a fun car to drive! I am sure the S/C will get you close to the power you had before.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. You are not the first. My advice, and I am sure I too will get the flames. Sell and buy the Shelby GT with the S/C. I have had my 2007 Shelby GT for 2000 miles now and love the way it handles. What a fun car to drive! I am sure the S/C will get you close to the power you had before.

Bad advice...your SGT is very nice and handles great. But don't underestimate the GT500. Trust me I have both.

Opinions, opinions, everyone has 'em.

Okay, so you are unhappy with your '500- if you even have one...

So, why not dump it for a hefty sum?

Doesn't it suck when you have a car that everyone wants, and doesn't depreciate even if you slowly glide down the 1/4 mile several hundred times?

Either way, be happy you didn't buy an SRT 300, because you would have lost 1/5 of the sticker value by driving off the lot.

But :cry: not your car :cry: Oh, you poor baby! :baby:

Your car is worth over sticker, so dump it on eboy and go out and find an '04 for dirt (relatively).

Wrong way to start posting.... :rant:

Oh, welcome to the board! :hysterical:

Opinions, opinions, everyone has 'em.

Okay, so you are unhappy with your '500- if you even have one...

So, why not dump it for a hefty sum?

Doesn't it suck when you have a car that everyone wants, and doesn't depreciate even if you slowly glide down the 1/4 mile several hundred times?

Either way, be happy you didn't buy an SRT 300, because you would have lost 1/5 of the sticker value by driving off the lot.

But :cry: not your car :cry: Oh, you poor baby! :baby:

Your car is worth over sticker, so dump it on eboy and go out and find an '04 for dirt (relatively).

Wrong way to start posting.... :rant:

Oh, welcome to the board! :hysterical:

Hey Crispy, Go easy on him.................oh never mind you did :hysterical2::hysterical2:

LOL...you guys are too much. Dont be so harsh! At least he is comparing it to another Cobra. Save all this for when its compared to Chevys and Dodges. I do believe the GT500 is far superior but also dont underestimate the Terminator. That thing is super fast. I do recall seeing someone, or several people, with both the GT500 and the Terminator. Have them let you know whatsup. Have them do the 1/4 mile on it. I also read a while back, I believe Fast Fords or another Mustang Mag, and they compared those 2 cars. I will have to go back and re read it to get the facts. I will post up numbers tomorrow.

PS. This is not the first time I hear that the Terminator is faster than the GT500. Weight seems to be everyones argument. Dont mark my words. I will try to post numbers tomorrow.

In the end, GUYS COME ON! Admit both are great cars. I love the Terminators, plus they, at least to me, are the blueprints/foundation to the GT500. GT500 is, again M2C, a updated and upgraded Terminator. Same bloodline.....SVT!

Alex

:tequila:

GOD ....how I love my PIG :yahoo:

Hey - JumpinCactus - I agree, your '03 is a great car. But give me a call and I have a few friends that can help pull that Cactus out of your aZZ that is impairing you judgement and reasoning. :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

HSURB

Archived