TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tires Will Make The KR Hook

Might as well throw it out there!

I've got more questions than answers when it comes to tires.

I love the look of the 20 inch alcoa's. People in other threads have talked about putting them on to help the car hookup. But to me, 20" wheels are less in performance. What am I missing there?

What does sidewall do for you?

Can we put a 305/315 on a 9.5 inch rim? Yes, it can go on, but when I picture cornering, the visual is ugly. Like a 5'4" 300 lb woman in a bikini. Rubber flopping everywhere.

If you could put any set of tires on, which way would you go? I'm leaning towards 295 rear and 285 front. I'd like 305 rear. Or even 315. But funding is not going to allow for a new/wider set of rims.

It seems that with these cars, you equip the car for straigt line or track. Of course I want both! Which ain't gonna happen effectively with these cars. Engine sits too high, too far out in front, car is heavy, and so on. All resulting in a weight distribution that is performance limiting at least in tracking the car.

The car with the straight axle is built for straight line. Leave it to a prop-for-a-brain to try and fit a square peg into a round hole. I like the idea of tracking the car more than drag racing the car.

So....what tires offer a balance in maximizing hookup and cornering? Anyone? Buehler, Buehler?

Ditch the 20" Alcoas for anything more than a car show. They do not fit the car- An SVT engineer confirmed that. Do you wear high-heels to a running marathon or drag race? The car needs the appropriate wheels/tires for the type of racing you will be doing. Get 18's for autocrossing or 15" rear wheels with drag radials or slicks if you're drag racing. The KR actually is a good car for autocrossing with the 18's. Put some good tires on it and it'll run well at the track.

That's what I always understood with the 20's. Great looking but high heals in a marathon. Which, depending on the wearer of the heals might not be a bad thing.

But I digress.

Any size recommendations? Brand....seems most like the nitto 05r. Would still like to go wider.

somewhere a while ago I read a.journalist quoting a svt representative that the ideal wheel for the s197 was 19". last summer after a thrilling sidewalk adventure in the kr, I put my set of kr wheels and eagles away. I installed a nifty set of bbs 2pc rims from tire rack. 19x10 on the rear and 19 x9 up front with a set of Michelin ps2 tires. just a world of difference. a powerful car is a powerful car, but, for me, night and day improvement in surefooted behavior.

Assuming it was my post about 20's... I suggested that primarily because the OP seemed to want a super snake.

18's will squeeze the most performance out of the car, but I know I'd watch more marathons if high heels were involved....

That's what I always understood with the 20's. Great looking but high heals in a marathon. Which, depending on the wearer of the heals might not be a bad thing.

But I digress.

Any size recommendations? Brand....seems most like the nitto 05r. Would still like to go wider.

If it were me I'd get 18"s, 255's front, 305's rear. Going to try the new F1's or the Michelins. Maybe BFGoodrich. I'm researching the reviews. I heard the Nitto 555's are a good all-around tire. Kinda like a tennis shoe, you can use them everywhere. :hysterical: And I'm still looking for some good high-heels. Maybe a set of Alcoas or Cragars.

This guy was running his KR at Ponies in the Poconos and removed its high heels at the track. Very cool. I'm sorry I don't know what track wheels/tires he used.

The Boss 302 comes with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and the GT350 comes with the new Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1's. I spoke with Gary Patterson about the GT350 tires and he recommends the F1's. I rode in it as well, the car corners like its on rails. I'm thinking of grabbing a set for my car. They're supposed to be much better than the F1's supplied on my 2007.

IMG_4235a.jpg

IMG_4235a.jpg

-Nitto INVOs or Michilen PS2s for all around use depending on your price range Able to track without loosing comfort

-NT05s for more of a track oriented car

-Eagle F1 G2s for a street only KR

You could get NT05s all around and pick up an extra set of rear GT500 rear wheels and put some NT05Rs on them so you can go to the track and the strip.

IMO the INVOs fit your criterea the best and not to pricey.

275 Fonts

295 Rears

Nitto INVOs @ Discount Tire Direct

Perfect! Thanks all for the inputs. Dbowles.....just the format I was looking for...and then some.

Why 275 up front? Rub? Would like to get rid of the understear as much as possible. Does everyone think 305's and 285's too much given both the existing rim width and rub issues?

Thanks all! Keep it coming!!

Zero issues with 305's on my stock rims. I've heard of peeps not having problems with 275s up front but I haven't tried. Happy hunting!

I put my original 18s away and put on the 20" Alcoas. I know that I'm not tracking the car, but if I did, I would put the 18s back on. Regardless, I wouldn't track my car for serious competition. So, I went with the Nitto Invos for the street 255/35/20 and 295/35/20 back. Fits pretty good, but would fit much better in the back if the offset was better on these Alcoas. I love the look of the 20's much better though and handling on the street is very good. If you go drag racing with the 20" Alcoas the Nitto 555 275/40/20 fit really nice, but wider would be better if the offset allowed for it.

Prior to the Alcoas, i wanted 19" wheels, but had a difficult time finding a set for a decent price. They can get expensive, tire selection use to be very limited, maybe not now, but a great size for our car and much better offset with several brands.

Picture of the KR with the 20" Alcoas

IMG_5795.jpg

Zero issues with 305's on my stock rims. I've heard of peeps not having problems with 275s up front but I haven't tried. Happy hunting!

What kind of driving do you do? Any hard cornering?

Do you have more information on these rims? Pics perhaps ?

hey fia, see the 14th pic in topic" carlisle weekend."outboard silver kr parked next to another silver kr from Canada. for close up pics, pm me as I stink at posting pics.

275 up front is keeping it safe. Ive seen 285s up front with no rubbing issues. If you want to go 285/305 then your options are limited because of the 18" wheels in stock widths.

285/40/18 on the front and 305/40/18 on the rear, it tracks like its a rails :shift:

PICT0039.jpg

If it were me I'd get 18"s, 255's front, 305's rear. Going to try the new F1's or the Michelins. Maybe BFGoodrich. I'm researching the reviews. I heard the Nitto 555's are a good all-around tire. Kinda like a tennis shoe, you can use them everywhere. :hysterical: And I'm still looking for some good high-heels. Maybe a set of Alcoas or Cragars.

This guy was running his KR at Ponies in the Poconos and removed its high heels at the track. Very cool. I'm sorry I don't know what track wheels/tires he used.

The Boss 302 comes with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's and the GT350 comes with the new Goodyear Eagle Supercar F1's. I spoke with Gary Patterson about the GT350 tires and he recommends the F1's. I rode in it as well, the car corners like its on rails. I'm thinking of grabbing a set for my car. They're supposed to be much better than the F1's supplied on my 2007.

This guy is Steve from NY. I met him at the NYAuto show. Does anyone know his TSM name? He's a great road racer. How did he do at Pocono's?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the new Michelin pilot super sport tires? I understand they have great reviews. Would a 295/30 19 or a 305/30 19 fit ok on the rear. Stock is 285/35 19x9.5 rear. This would be for my 2010 GT 500. Looks like they would be a 1/2 inch less diameter. Small change in speedometer. Anyone know of any other issues? I drive it fairly aggresive a tight track. How about 275/35 19 on the front? Any rubbing?

Thanks!

post-32440-0-86066000-1310860231_thumb.jpg

post-32440-0-86066000-1310860231_thumb.jpg

I have Nitto Invo's on my GT 500......they drive like a brick when cold, but a great tire for track and around town - when warmed up. I put them on my Audi, same issues, but they hook up when needed. I cannot see buying another type in the near future.

Chris

• 6 months later...

I use Nitto NT01 tires 275x40 all around on my GT500KR for road race courses and have had no problems at all. These are great track tires. For all around use put Nitto INVO 275x40 in back and 255x45 in front and you will love the ride and noise level reduction from the road. Or you could put INVO 275x40s all around if you wanted the same size. Nitto is the way to go for track and everyday driving. The Nitto 555s have gotten good reviews also, but they are not as quiet as the INVOs. They do come in 285x40 though. This is the size from Ford originally.

Im still looking. The stock Goodyear is topping the list as guys racing their KR's swear by them once heated up.

Also being looked at are invo, the p-zero, the ventus, and nitto. Lol. Not too much progress overall.

Size matters, no matter what they say.

And in tires too!

Im not going to buy new rims. I'm pretty much set on that now. I worry about 305's on a 9.5 rim. It'll go on. But worry about pinching.

I'm thinking 295x40 on the 9.5 rim I can get away with. And 275x40 on the front. Problem is finding the company that makes these sizes. I'd do 275x45 on the front to keep sidewall factory size. But not doing well finding that either. I want sidewall.

If it wasn't for wanting the 295 on the rear and 275 on the front, I'd just throw the towel in and go stock. And might well do that anyway.

Time will tell.....

I run Nitto 01 tires 275x40s all around on road course such as Texas World Speedway in College Station. No problems and cut seconds off my time when previously using stock Goodyears. Thinking of trying 20" rims with Nitto INVO 285x30 in back and 255x35 in front for everyday use and putting 18" rims with NT 01s on for track days. What do you guys think about this combo?

Don

Don,

See the other thread with recent postings on 20" rims. 20" rims are all about the look. If you've got the time to swap for track days back to 18's, and the money for the 20's and want the look, go for it! They really do look great.

Archived