TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Light Comes On For Electronic Throttle Control.

Light (Looks like a wrench) started coming on for the electronic throttle control, according to the owner's manual. The manual says to bring to Ford dealer, but they claim they can't get into computer to diagnose.The rpm's go up to 3000 with my foot off the gas and the light comes on, sending it in " limp home mode". You shut the car off and start back up, everything is fine ( no light and normal idle) till the next time. It tends to happen idling in traffic ( hot under hood).Trying to get Shelby and the Ford dealer together to diagnose and correct( A week of phone tag so far, mostly due to the dealer). I have the 800HP pkg. with cooling system upgrade. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks.

• 6 months later...

My car is a 2011 with the 800hp package with cooling system upgrade plus tons more. car does the exact same thing when sitting in traffic. have gone back and forth with shelby team and they made me try disconnecting the battery which did nothing at all. then the sent me a new throttle body and it was good for one day till computer started to compensate. needless to say car still does the same thing. havent heard anything else from shelby and car just sits in garage till next spring. Have they fixed your car yet?

My car is a 2011 with the 800hp package with cooling system upgrade plus tons more. car does the exact same thing when sitting in traffic. have gone back and forth with shelby team and they made me try disconnecting the battery which did nothing at all. then the sent me a new throttle body and it was good for one day till computer started to compensate. needless to say car still does the same thing. havent heard anything else from shelby and car just sits in garage till next spring. Have they fixed your car yet?

At the end of July 2011 a new throttle body and a new tune were installed ( The current tune ). My car was Kenne Bell's " Test and Tune" car as it was the 1st 2011 (New Aluminum Engine and 3.6LC SC ) 800 HP Super Snake. It's on Kenne Bell's web site although it's hard to find the 1st time. I've driven the car 1/2 the season and 1000 miles since( Not much traffic to idle in here) with only 1 time shortly after install the rpm's went up to 1800 ( No Light ) twice in a row the same day. Other than that the problem hasn't come back. Being in Vermont I won't be taking the car out till next April, but I'll keep you posted IF it comes back ( Won't be hot enough till 2nd 1/2 of June though ).

I would definitely like more info on this if anyone has any. My GT500 is at SAI in Las Vegas now and was planning on going with the 800 HP conversion with cooling package. It's a 2011 also and could possibly be affected by this?

Not sure if it's a Ford thing ( computer, throttle position sensor or accelerator sensor ) or a Shelby and Kenne Bell thing using a Accufab throttle body in the 800 HP package? I don't know what throttle body is used on the Ford ( Whipple )750 HP package? The mechanic at the SVT Ford dealership THINKS it was either the throttle body mechanically hanging up, accelerator sensor or the throttle position sensor being in need of replacement. IF the problem comes back I'll look at the throttle position sensor and accelerator sensor. All being said I think the 800 HP package is awesome performing and visually. I've had Kenne Bell Super Chargers and Accufab throttle bodies before on other cars and they are QUALITY products (Top of the line IMHO). I do believe this problem is just a small but annoying thing that has happened on a few 800HP packages. I THINK my problem has been solved, but a whole season of hot weather next year without incident will be the confirmation I'm looking for.

Not sure if it's a Ford thing ( computer, throttle position sensor or accelerator sensor ) or a Shelby and Kenne Bell thing using a Accufab throttle body in the 800 HP package? I don't know what throttle body is used on the Ford ( Whipple )750 HP package? The mechanic at the SVT Ford dealership THINKS it was either the throttle body mechanically hanging up, accelerator sensor or the throttle position sensor being in need of replacement. IF the problem comes back I'll look at the throttle position sensor and accelerator sensor. All being said I think the 800 HP package is awesome performing and visually. I've had Kenne Bell Super Chargers and Accufab throttle bodies before on other cars and they are QUALITY products (Top of the line IMHO). I do believe this problem is just a small but annoying thing that has happened on a few 800HP packages. I THINK my problem has been solved, but a whole season of hot weather next year without incident will be the confirmation I'm looking for.

Thanks for your input Snake, makes me feel a little better anyway lol.

I don't know what throttle body is used on the Ford ( Whipple )750 HP package?

The FRPP/Whipple 2.9L SC kit includes a dual 65mm bore Cobra Jet (polished) throttle body.

Mine has been flawless since the day I put it on my car.

HTH,

Phill

Archived