TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dissapointing

OK. SO this question all starts by taking my KR out for a rip tonight and some young punk with his teenage girlfriend in his car pulls up to me in his white rap mobile BMW and ask if my car runs good! Anyway being at least 20 yrs older than him I figure....LETS GO! So a couple lights here and there and we were never on the same page, he really never takes me. But he says I see you have a traction problem so lets take it from a "roll" The last race never panned out. But here I am in what I think is an unbelievable Mustang KR, a car that stickers for $87,000 and can't even hook up from a dead stop, a car that I would say 99% of people who see it don't see it as any different from any other Mustang on the road. I'm sorry. I purchased this car becasue I wanted the most limited and ultimate rarest Mustang. I just need to feel that way after owning 14 Mustangs and 3 Shelby's. Maybe tonight is just like having a bad day with your wife. So I say to myself maybe I should look at a Super Snake. So I turn on the Motorweek NY car show that I taped weeks ago and wouldn't you know it right in the begining they show a Blue 2012 Super Snake. 800HP. Now I want a collector Mustang. I want a garage queen. But when I take her out I want the world to stop rotating! Or at least in my mind. I know there are always going to be faster and better cars but the Super Snake from inside and out just looks damn better. Can anyone honestly say that in 10yrs the KR is going to be worth more money than a Super Snake? Maybe I'm wrong. But this $90,000 KR can't even break off the line. I know pre-production and all that and thats one of the reasons I purchased it. I love Blue so I have a Vista KR. The rarest of the colors. It has 700 miles on it. I was in the market for a DD Mustang next year but I am seriously thinking about a SS queen. If thats even possible. Or whats the upgrade if I send it to Shelby? What do you guys think. Please help my crazy brain!

With all due respect, I got a little confused reading your post.

You wanted a Super Rare look at me car? And you bought a Shelby? Back in 06 when they told us a two year run 7000 cars blah blah that might've worked but by 09 it was clear all that was bs.

Or, did you want a car that was going to kick a$$ on the street as well as the track? KR makes some jam but there are other options. READ: WHIPPLE

Having said all that, at the 85th I was running a V6 auto rental beater at the track and was almost beating GT500's at the strip. How??? They had no traction.

They were planting their right foot and hoping the car would do the rest. Not going to happen with these cars, they make too much power and a careless right foot with result in a cloud of tire smoke.

All things being equal, I considered Snaking my car back in 07 and decided against it, I bought this car for the jam it makes. I'm not much into pedigree so I skipped the SS, went with performance upgrades instead, saved about $20,000 and I'll line up against a Super Snake or KR any day.

But hey, that's just me. :)

Scotty, I've spent alot of time around that very same SS in NYC and here in Carlisle. The exhaust is NOT as nice sounding as the KR, the traction problem is the same and the interior is about the same as well. You have problems hooking up now with 540? Why wouldn't you have problems hooking up with 800 + in the exact same body style/platform?

While I love the SS I would probably never own one. I had the chance to drive Tony356's GT350 this weekend and I can honestly say that it almost made me crap my pants! The rigidity is 3 times what the KRs have and the reponsivenss is twice of the KRs. Also the car just drives "lighter" and sounds way meaner than the SS IMO. Drive a GT350 and a SS and see for yourself. Go to a SAI event with Gary Patterson and let him track the car with you riding in it and you'll be odering one on the spot.

My KR is staying no matter what but I'll more than likely add a 350 soon.

Hmmmm.

Do you think the original KR's hooked for shit ?

My 2 pennies: Get a set of 20" alcoas, send two out to get widened to whatever the max WITHOUT modifications will fit on the KR, throw the widest sticky tires on it that will fit, get a suspension setup like the super snakes to get that low, mean look, KEEP all the original parts, and if you still aren't happy, throw a better blower at it and get that 725 hp or whatever and just enjoy it! IMO, it'll look just as good as a SS, and you'll have a bad ass car.

I would venture to say you'd lose more than the cost of those mods by selling it and buying a super snake.....

OK. SO this question all starts by taking my KR out...it has 700 miles on it...

I know mine feels quicker all the time, and has loosened up plenty since I passed the 700 mile mark. You'll probably notice more pep as yours loosens further. As for traction... Forget it. You're already making a bunch of power, and adding more won't help in the traction area. Our cars are nose heavy, so to be quicker, they need both more tire, and weight moved towards the rear, or eliminated completely; both would be best. My '08 Bullitt is easier to drive than my KR, and easier to get out of the hole with (with less tire). Keep the KR and buy wider wheels and stickier tires, work on eliminating wheel hop, shift some weight back (I'm thinking battery in trunk, for starters)...and after you get it to hook a bit better, then add power. Yes, these are overpriced Mustangs that really don't perform as $80K cars should, but they are great GT cars, and still a blast to own and drive. As mentioned above, the original KRs didn't hook either, and ours are quicker, better handling, and get better mileage than they did. I know mine has its limits, and really should go better than it does, but I'm still pretty fond of it. :)

Mustang Scotty,

You're funny. You always have one foot out the door. I'm sure it's because you're a fireman. My dad always says, never mess around with a fireman....they've got too much time to sit around and figure out how to get you back....

But in this case, you're spending your time ruminating on the KR! You've got the baddest factory mustang ever built.

Guys here are giving you good advice. Mod the sheep out of the car. Just keep all the factory parts. Trust me....you putthe tvs on the car and you'll be peeing your pants. You'll reinvent your crush on your car.

It IS better looking than the SS.

I wouldn't put 20" tires on it. But i would go as wide as you can. Put lca relocation brackets on. Put a better uca on. Between the three, you'll have more traction.

There was a thread in the gt500 section about the guy putting I think 305 rear and 285 front. I know you can out that 305 on our rims.....but it can't be a good thing. Even Goodyear here is telling me I can do it. But there's gotta be a reason that nitto says you need a 10.5 rim for that. There's gotta be a downfall. But I keep looking......and researching. I pm'ed the guy and he was very happy w his tires. And his car was lowered.

I have the eibach r2 system on my kr. Handles much better. That too will make it much meaner looking. It is lowered 1.5 inches. Killer.

You have a great car. Keep the faith.

I was at Costco pricing tires for my mini. We got to talking about cars and he had te Subaru wrsti. Or whatever it is.

He said he can rev it to redline, dump the clutch, and only chirp the tires. Because he's got AWD. He would kill me zero to sixty. But then it's over.

These cars will never hook up like the beemers, etc. If it makes you feel better, I had a race with an M6, w my brother in law in the car. Who is a big boy at 260 lbs. No pax in the M6. We got on it about 40, and I pulled away maybe 5 feet. He was furious.

But....these cars will never hook up nor corner like the German cars. Ever. But guys who race the mustang say if you can race a mustang, you can race anything. It's big and you don't drive it.....you strap it on and hurl it around the track.

There is a YouTube video of a Z06 beating an SS in the .25 mile. The announcer says, as you are saying, the SS just hopelessly spins it's wheels.

Wider tires. Lca relocation brackets. Uca if youre getting any wheel hop. And tvs......just to really frustrate you!

The uca is tough to get at. But the lca relocation brackets are simple. I like che engineering for that part.

Anyone has any input on wider tires on the 9.5 rims and what the downfall is....I'd love to know. The gt500 guy had 9.5 rims.

And finally, realize, these cars are what they are. The z06 is a serious race car. The zr1 even moreso. Totally different concept from the mustang. And 98% of corvette drivers would never dream of racing their vette.

Seriously, I think the KR is a great car. Put the tvs on and fall in love all over again.

I don't think 305's are too much for a 9.5", especially in 18's. I've got 295's on 10" wide and they are on the narrow side, and I've seen guys running 315 dr's on 10" rims if I remember right....

But....these cars will never hook up nor corner like the German cars. Ever.

Don't be so sure of that....:hysterical:

Scotty respectfully, why not just drive it more and get used to it then you will be able to input the right throttle input and get some traction....add some wider tires and enjoy the car...

Mustang Scotty,

You're funny. You always have one foot out the door. I'm sure it's because you're a fireman. My dad always says, never mess around with a fireman....they've got too much time to sit around and figure out how to get you back....

But in this case, you're spending your time ruminating on the KR! You've got the baddest factory mustang ever built.

Guys here are giving you good advice. Mod the sheep out of the car. Just keep all the factory parts. Trust me....you putthe tvs on the car and you'll be peeing your pants. You'll reinvent your crush on your car.

I wouldn't put 20" tires on it. But i would go as wide as you can. Put lca relocation brackets on. Put a better uca on. Between the three, you'll have more traction.

There was a thread in the gt500 section about the guy putting I think 305 rear and 285 front. I know you can out that 305 on our rims.....but it can't be a good thing. Even Goodyear here is telling me I can do it. But there's gotta be a reason that nitto says you need a 10.5 rim for that. There's gotta be a downfall. But I keep looking......and researching. I pm'ed the guy and he was very happy w his tires. And his car was lowered.

I have the eibach r2 system on my kr. Handles much better. That too will make it much meaner looking. It is lowered 1.5 inches. Killer.

I was at Costco pricing tires for my mini. We got to talking about cars and he had te Subaru wrsti. Or whatever it is.

He said he can rev it to redline, dump the clutch, and only chirp the tires. Because he's got AWD. He would kill me zero to sixty. But then it's over.

These cars will never hook up like the beemers, etc. If it makes you feel better, I had a race with an M6, w my brother in law in the car. Who is a big boy at 260 lbs. No pax in the M6. We got on it about 40, and I pulled away maybe 5 feet. He was furious.

But....these cars will never hook up nor corner like the German cars. Ever. But guys who race the mustang say if you can race a mustang, you can race anything. It's big and you don't drive it.....you strap it on and hurl it around the track.

There is a YouTube video of a Z06 beating an SS in the .25 mile. The announcer says, as you are saying, the SS just hopelessly spins it's wheels.

Wider tires. Lca relocation brackets. Uca if youre getting any wheel hop. And tvs......just to really frustrate you!

The uca is tough to get at. But the lca relocation brackets are simple. I like che engineering for that part.

Anyone has any input on wider tires on the 9.5 rims and what the downfall is....I'd love to know. The gt500 guy had 9.5 rims.

And finally, realize, these cars are what they are. The z06 is a serious race car. The zr1 even moreso. Totally different concept from the mustang. And 98% of corvette drivers would never dream of racing their vette.

Seriously, I think the KR is a great car. Put the tvs on and fall in love all over again.

Excellent points.

These cars CAN get traction with one of the biggest factors being getting to know how much right foot until it is hooked up.

Good luck either way.

Hmmmm.

Do you think the original KR's hooked for shit ?

My 2 pennies: Get a set of 20" alcoas, send two out to get widened to whatever the max WITHOUT modifications will fit on the KR, throw the widest sticky tires on it that will fit, get a suspension setup like the super snakes to get that low, mean look, KEEP all the original parts, and if you still aren't happy, throw a better blower at it and get that 725 hp or whatever and just enjoy it! IMO, it'll look just as good as a SS, and you'll have a bad ass car.

I would venture to say you'd lose more than the cost of those mods by selling it and buying a super snake.....

Best advice right there! get a set of the 20in alcoas, put the 10in wheel in front witha 275/35 and have the 9in wheels widen to 12in with a 325/30 dunlop. you will be able to transfer the power to the ground with no problem. there are guys here that went with this setup with over 700 rwhp and found that they get some grip in first and that second gear is there. so with 500hp that you have will get that kr moving out.

The driver mod helps out too

if you want to add a lill more pep to the car take a look at the ford tvs. it bolts right on will give you 600 plus to the rear and its a simple mod. they are going for 2700 too.

you have an awesome car, and i wouldnt go crzy hacking into it. get the wheels widen and go for the tvs and you will have plenty of power without having to hack up the kr

Like I posted in the SS forum. Keep the KR and upgrade the SC.

As Kaylan said- you just can't hammer down on the gas, you really have to know how to drive the car and handle the power.

As for insults against firemen....hey, I'm one too!!!!

As for KR sounding better than the SS. Well I have the best of both world's....I put the KR's and the KR H pipe on my SS.

The video will show the results-

Scotty, I've spent alot of time around that very same SS in NYC and here in Carlisle. The exhaust is NOT as nice sounding as the KR, the traction problem is the same and the interior is about the same as well. You have problems hooking up now with 540? Why wouldn't you have problems hooking up with 800 + in the exact same body style/platform?

While I love the SS I would probably never own one. I had the chance to drive Tony356's GT350 this weekend and I can honestly say that it almost made me crap my pants! The rigidity is 3 times what the KRs have and the reponsivenss is twice of the KRs. Also the car just drives "lighter" and sounds way meaner than the SS IMO. Drive a GT350 and a SS and see for yourself. Go to a SAI event with Gary Patterson and let him track the car with you riding in it and you'll be odering one on the spot.

My KR is staying no matter what but I'll more than likely add a 350 soon.

Andy... Did you ever drive the SS? I did... :yahoo:

While I agree that the sound could have more rumble, I would disagree about it sticking. I made more than one spirited launch on my way back from the parade and it stuck great! I had to dump the clutch with TC off to get it to spin. Maybe I was nervous. Hell I know I was...

Let me drive your KR and I'll give you a true comparison...

:yup:

Andy... Did you ever drive the SS? I did... :yahoo:

While I agree that the sound could have more rumble, I would disagree about it sticking. I made more than one spirited launch on my way back from the parade and it stuck great! I had to dump the clutch with TC off to get it to spin. Maybe I was nervous. Hell I know I was...

Let me drive your KR and I'll give you a true comparison...

:yup:

Pete, I drove it several times prior to Carlisle. Don't get me wrong, it's a FANTASTIC vehicle but has the same problems all GT500s do: traction. You were in a parade though to chirp the tires. Get it out on an empty track and lay into them and you'll see exactly what I mean.

You drive my KR and THEN drive a GT350 and you'll never want to drive anything other than a GT350 again. The KR will most definately beat the SS off of the line stock vs. stock but the 350 though has rigidity and responsiveness like I've never felt before.

While I still LOVE my KR I have a new found appreciation for the 350. Drive all 3 and then we will talk cause I thought the same way you do until I actually drove them. Of course I only put a couple hundred miles a year on my cars so I can't give an accurate comparison.

Better yet, ride with Gary while HE puts the GT350 through it's paces and you'll be in love.

My opinion:

KR has it in the "looks" factor

SS has it in the "bragging talk" factor

GT350 has it where it actually matters : everywhere else

The KR will most definately beat the SS off of the line stock vs. stock

I'm not sure how you arrive at that belief?

If you know how to drive the SS it should basically be off the line the same as the KR. And then after that the SS is leaving the KR well behind it.

The one thing you guys are missing... the fact that there are a lot of Beemer guys out there that want to race our cars, and they want to race them for a reason.

So they feel better about buying their BMW because, after all, it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" right?

BMWs are so run-of-the-mill that no one gives them a second glance... why? Because they're BMWs.

The GT500, the KR, the Super Snake, tell me please ONE time that you've taken your car out and NOT gotten looks, stares, photos, almost getting hit because someone is drooling over your car.

Every single time, EVERY single time I take my GT500 out people smile, and stare and it truly seems like I'm brightening someone's day just by driving by them.

Your car is a KR. The rarest of the GT500 breed. And sure there may be people that don't know a KR from a GT500 BUT I GUARANTEE you that they KNOW it's special... unlike A'hem.... a BMW.

Am I slamming BMWs? Sort of.... if the truth hurts then so be it. Nothing wrong with a BMW, but they are not even in the same stratosphere as our cars.

I was at a car show about two months ago and there were Ferraris, Lambourghinis, and many many Corvettes and other very cool cars (no BMWs BTW) and a guy pulled up in a Super Snake and you would have thought the earth DID stop moving. Everyone went over to that car and just huddled around its awesomeness.

So in short... just let me know when you want to get rid of that KR and I'll go ahead and take it off your hands.

BTW for the record I wouldn't have even raced the punk.... friggin BMW.... I would have looked over smiled and said, "I'm sorry you're just not worth my gas." ;)

I'm not sure how you arrive at that belief?

If you know how to drive the SS it should basically be off the line the same as the KR. And then after that the SS is leaving the KR well behind it.

Possibly, but I don't drive my KR enough to get better at driving it and I don't own a SS so I base it on others who have both.

You know I'm not sure if your trying to bash Firefighters but your dad's commenst are just plain ignorant. First of all I am a professional PAID Firefighter and I can have hours in between calls but I do respond to everything from car accidents all over the NYS Thruway, downed wires,gas leaks,alarms, and Fires not including medical calls 4-5 times a night. While you and your dad are sleeping at 2, 3, 4 in the morning I get a screeching alarm that makes my heart go from 80-180 beats per minute. Not including putting on 150+lbs. of equipment in 100 degree heat like tomorrow and going into a burning buildng while everyone else is running out dragging 250 ft of hose up 5 stories and then crawling down a hall that you cant see 2 inches in front of your face. So if I was to have all the time in the world and to do that one time, it's enough. Why don't you or your dad call my friend in my company that was having a great time last year hanging out with us until the bell hit, that some asshole set fire to the apartment he got kicked out of and had to jump out a 3 story window along with 3 other of my friends, landed on a parapet wall with his tank on his back and got ripped open and got killed. When his wife got to the hospital and saw him dead on the table with his gear on and was screaming for him that his 2 little girls would never see him again that is something you will never want to see. That comment is just plain stupid. And I'm sure it wasn't a comment to hurt but it just does. Anyway, Thanks for all the reassurance from everyone. I do love my KR and I will keep it. It's just me maybe having to have my outlet.

Mustang Scotty,

I knew someone would come up with that comment. It wasnt about me. He didnt beat me. I just couldnt believe ater Shelby puts an $87,000 sticker on this car they couldnt even make the car hook up. I mean give me a break. My dream is a Ford GT and it will happen one day. Hook up or not.

My advice: Learn how to drive the car.

/That was not meant as an insult.

Don't worry about the firemen comments. I've been a fireman for 30 years and counting. I've heard it all and while it does get tiresome I really don't waste my time on those people. Life is too short.

As for the Shelby not being able to hook up.....I REALLY think people need to learn how to properly drive these cars. Too many people think they just drop the clutch and mash the gas pedal to the floor. It takes a little time to learn how get the car going without spinning the wheels and it's important to stay off the gas.

Yes, I agree about the learning how to drive but my theory was for this price it should be all included. Why should I have wider rims made or wider tires put on, etc. Be safe Brother! It's like a SS owner said.....

I wouldn't get rid of the KR. Looks wise it's pretty close to a Super Snake, or visa versa.

HP is the one big difference. I would just upgrade the SC'er.

Is traction as issue with these cars? Yes, but I also think many people just don't drive them correctly. You can't mash the accelerator to the floor when taking off. Whether you've got 540HP or 750HP you're gonna make the wheels spin. Spinning wheels do not help move your car forward no matter how much gas you give it. You're far better off learning how to launch the car without wheel spin. A BMW, etc. might get the initial jump on you but you'll blow past him soon enough- as long as you're not spinning your wheels.

I'm by no means a drag racing expert but 1st gear should be used just long enough to get the car moving forward, then quickly shift to 2nd. Don't stomp on the gas in 2nd, just keep increasing pressure on the gas pedal. And then make a quick shift to 3rd and THEN you can hammer on it.

The real truth is- you shouldn't be street racing anyway. It doesn't sound like you're an experienced racer, and you have no idea of what the other guy's drivng skils are either. It's got all the makings of a tragedy, especially with high HP cars. The thing that makes this so dangerous is how adrenaline effects reflexes and vision. People who don't have experience handling the effects of adrenaline are a danger to themselves and others. The stress and excitment of racing almost guarantees that you'll mash the gas pedal down instead of properly applying the power

Don't worry about the firemen comments. I've been a fireman for 30 years and counting. I've heard it all and while it does get tiresome I really don't waste my time on those people. Life is too short.

As for the Shelby not being able to hook up.....I REALLY think people need to learn how to properly drive these cars. Too many people think they just drop the clutch and mash the gas pedal to the floor. It takes a little time to learn how get the car going without spinning the wheels and it's important to stay off the gas.

Don't take this as a knock as it's not meant that way.

Given how much you drive the car and that I don't know what your experience with a high HP car did you have the TC on?

If not, maybe you should try running with it on and see if you find any difference in grip. Sounds like what you're looking for is a launch control type of system which is not present on a Mustang regardless of the $87,000 sticker price.

So let me know when your ready to send the cashiers check and pick her up? PM me if you mean what you state.

No need to PM I'll give you 35k for it right now.

You can buy a nice BMW for that I think.

Mustang Scotty,

I was really just kidding. My apologies completely. I was just trying a little levity. I'm sure there are a million funny things someone could say about pilots.

Again, my apologies. I didn't mean to disparage the first responders in the slightest.

Archived