TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clunk in 5th and 6th gear at lower RPMs

wrc4

Hi, everyone. I'm happy to report that my 2012 GT500 arrived the day before I was to leave for vacation. I got the thrill of driving it home to let it sit in my garage for a week. On Memorial Day I drove it on a road trip and observed something that seems odd to me in 5th and 6th gear. When cruising at 55 (5th gear) or 65/70 (6th gear) I let off the gas -- for example because a car in front if me is slowing down to move out of the lane I'm in -- then get on the gas I swear I feel a clunk. I'm not shifting gears and I'm not stomping on it. Keep in mind that this car has only 200 miles on it and I've only driven it 5 times (no joke, 5 times...). Has anyone else felt or noticed this? Should I be concerned? Once I noticed this I checked in other gears and can't really feel it. in 5th and 6th gears I was at about 1400 RPMs just cruising.

That usually happens with Manual Transmissions. When you get up to speed to where you can ease off the gas to maintain the speed everything kind of "Levels Out"then when you let off the gas all together, everything kind of "Frees Up" putting a minute bit of slack in the Driveline. Then when you give it the Gas, everything "Tightens Back Up" giving you the "Clunking". Every Manual Transmissions (and most Automatics) that I have owned has done that, and I have owned well over 150 Vehicles with about a third being Manual Transmissions.

If you count all of the Moving Parts from the Crank Shaft to the Rear Wheels that are connected, you would be surprised at how high the Number is.

That usually happens with Manual Transmissions. When you get up to speed to where you can ease off the gas to maintain the speed everything kind of "Levels Out"then when you let off the gas all together, everything kind of "Frees Up" putting a minute bit of slack in the Driveline. Then when you give it the Gas, everything "Tightens Back Up" giving you the "Clunking". Every Manual Transmissions (and most Automatics) that I have owned has done that, and I have owned well over 150 Vehicles with about a third being Manual Transmissions.

If you count all of the Moving Parts from the Crank Shaft to the Rear Wheels that are connected, you would be surprised at how high the Number is.

That's good to hear. I kind of figured I was being paranoid but thought that asking wouldn't hurt since this is 'my baby' and all. :D

Archived