TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The new Boss 302 be weary!

Steve.k

You're preachin' to the choir.

I've been saying all along that the new 5.0 is going to humble a LOT of GT500 owners, not just the Boss or Boss LS. You can have a million HP but if your tires go up in smoke everytime you gas it, it's useless.

As for the heat soak issue: I am now a believer! My son came in from CA to visit and on the last day he was here I took him for a little ride to the bank. On the way back I hit some of the back roads to give him a taste of HP. My first blast was from 40mph up to 100mph to show him how quick the car can get to 100 (and it gets there QUICK). Then a couple of short blasts (but high boost) to a long farmland (pretty much deserted) 4 lane hwy and then up to 140mph (speedo indicated). Made a left on a two lane, got to the end, made a U-turn and took it from a dead stop watching the tach and shifting through all gears at the SVT shift light (which I THINK I have set at 6000rpm). I had to slow down as I approached two slow moving trucks, got around them and just took it slightly over the limit. At the next signal light I got it going in 1st then wooded it, which USUALLY ends up spinning the tires and hitting the rev limiter. Not this time. NO tire spin and NO sudden bump on the chip. I shifted to second and wooded it again (which USUALLY does the same thing). NO tire spin again.

That was a FIRST for me. That was the first time I experienced the typical symptoms of heat soak and it made a firm beliver out of me. I've contacted Van/Rayvan Racing and will be buying one of his C&R intercooler radiators (aka; heat exchanger). Having said that, that's also the first time I got on it that much for that long for that many times which is why I don't think I've ever hit the wall on the IC capability.

I figure if I got heat soak in that short of time, I'll get heat soak when I take it to the track (drag stip). And in ET/Brackets, *consistency* is the name of the game. In both RT and ET so I want to get the CAR as consistant as possible.

I can see now why you blamed heat soak. NO question in my mind that it does pull power and it pulls a TON of power. Enough that my 2.9L Whipple felt like a OEM SC at altitude (I'm in Co. Springs, ~6100' ASL).

I also learned that at 140mph, a "slight" bridge hump (road seam) gets you air! And a loose rear end....on the car AND driver!

Not only have I been telling folks that I think the new Coyote 5.0 is going to humble more than a few GT500 owners, I'm also predicting that it's going to kill (badly hurt) GT500 sales. I mean, why buy a GT500 when for darn near $20K less, you can get a car just as quick?

JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Yes Phil I was on the phone the next day to Evolution,they've seen it a ton of times on the dyno.I had my car at the track and it ran 12.70 @114 at 3000ft next runs after that 13.01 at 112.I could'nt explain why it dropped that much, now I know.Evolution says as you add boost the worse it gets,so I think with the 2.9 the cooler is a must.The Boss is fast but I think with mods you have you'll have them coverd.I did hear that Ford ran the Boss with race key and slicks to a 11.70 so thats scary quick!

I have a 4.6 SGT and a BOSS. I've taken 3 M BMWs, a Porsch, 2 Vetts, and a couple others. The extra 1500 RPMs from the Road Runner 5.0 is all the diff and the car, although squirrely lays into the line like a champ if you are used to a mustang. Over all a very refined Pony in my opinion. My SGT is still choice for a short road coarse.

MIkedelivered 11.jpg

delivered 11.jpg

I have a 4.6 SGT and a BOSS. I've taken 3 M BMWs, a Porsch, 2 Vetts, and a couple others. The extra 1500 RPMs from the Road Runner 5.0 is all the diff and the car, although squirrely lays into the line like a champ if you are used to a mustang. Over all a very refined Pony in my opinion. My SGT is still choice for a short road coarse.

MIkepost-10954-0-90921600-1308476753_thumb.jpg

Congrats Mike, it's hard to imagine the Boss will perform even better later this summer with the activated Red Trackey.

http://mustangsdaily...s-11-7-117-mph/

12.077 on street tires...SGT/SC. Awesome!!!!! Good job............ happy%20feet.gif

Congrats Mike, it's hard to imagine the Boss will perform even better later this summer with the activated Red Trackey.

http://mustangsdaily...s-11-7-117-mph/

12.077 on street tires...SGT/SC. Awesome!!!!! Good job............ happy%20feet.gif

Thanks. I need to get used to the shift pattern. Long on ramps are messing me up from 2 to 3 and I keep screwing up down shifts to pass at speed. With the shims out the car scares the hell out of who ever is next to me.

unrestricted.jpg

Mike

unrestricted.jpg

Thanks. I need to get used to the shift pattern. Long on ramps are messing me up from 2 to 3 and I keep screwing up down shifts to pass at speed. With the shims out the car scares the hell out of who ever is next to me.

unrestricted.jpg

Mike

Shims out happy%20feet.gif ..............shims always out.

I did not drill out or remove the discs and the Boss still scared the hell out of those Camaros.... :hysterical: My first mod will be installing the electric dump valve for the quad exhaust when available. :yup:

CONGRATS KAYLAN !!! YOUR CAR LOOKS SWEET AND I PERSONALLY LIKE THE RED BOSS THE BEST , HOWEVER THE BLAZE YELLOW IS CALLING MY NAME THOUGH. :banghead: SO ENJOY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT OR AT LEAST UNTILL THEY PULL YOU OVER. :hysterical:

ALSO LET US KNOW AFTER YOU BREAK IT IN ; WHAT IT IS RUNNING IN THE 1/4 MILE AND DO NOT FORGET YOUR TIME SLIPS : PLEASE. :slapfight:

SCOTTY G.

CONGRATS KAYLAN !!! YOUR CAR LOOKS SWEET AND I PERSONALLY LIKE THE RED BOSS THE BEST , HOWEVER THE BLAZE YELLOW IS CALLING MY NAME THOUGH. :banghead: SO ENJOY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT OR AT LEAST UNTILL THEY PULL YOU OVER. :hysterical:

ALSO LET US KNOW AFTER YOU BREAK IT IN ; WHAT IT IS RUNNING IN THE 1/4 MILE AND DO NOT FORGET YOUR TIME SLIPS : PLEASE. :slapfight:

SCOTTY G.

I'm on it.

Hoping to dip into high 11's with it bone stock. Might need a tire but will try as is first.

Post slip as soon as I'm done :shift:

Just came across this tread this morning. Congrats Paul !!! I love the new Boss, especially in this color (reminds me of the '70 Mach 1 my dad owned when I was a kid and had a color called Calypso Coral, that looked quite similar).

How do you like the Boss so far? Do you plan some road course use for it? Any mods plannned to make it competitive with the Bullitt and the Shelby on the 1/4 mile? Please post some driving impressions when have a chance.

Congratulations Paul. Hope you will enjoy watching Camaros in the rear view mirror as much as I do. That would be just awesome if you could get her into the 11's bone stock. This could work because, as we all know, CO is the fastest color. Enjoy and have fun with this great handling car which is a blast to drive. BTW I'm thinking of the Tail of the dragon in late Sept with the both Bosses (wife + # 801). Had a great time last year with the RX 8 and Scott.

Don't sell that 5.0 motor short. With the hp the Boss is putting down it gets out of the hole much easier as it is not overwhelming the chassis. Launching the 500 is like tap dancing on grease. The times the 5.0's are running with simple bolt ons are impressive to say the least. If you line up against one you had better be on your game

MIkepost-10954-0-90921600-1308476753_thumb.jpg

Finally, someone with both vehicles to make a comparison. I'll probably bug you further for some more in-depth comparisons, if you don't mind, via PM.

I'll spend this summer and next, most likely, getting more familiar with the Shelby GT, which is new to us, and actually belongs to my wife.

I sold my GT500 for a number of reasons - current new 5.0 power, future GT500 power, and the horrible decline in value - figured I should get out before it gets worse. I do miss my 540 hp. The NA Shelby GT is at 300 rwhp & 310 ftlbs torque on a load dyno at a mile above sea level - no slouch, but feels anemic compared to my GT500.

Another reason for me getting rid of the GT500 is that I really want a Boss. Was planning for a 4th quarter build 2013 Boss 302, until I started hearing grumblings about year 3 and a possible Boss 351 with the new 5.8L engine in NA form. Either way, I've been hearing great things about the new Boss, including from GT500 racers that I know. The wait is killing me, but at least I have the Shelby GT to play with on the track and in AutoX. I am already beginning to find the limits of the NA 4.6L on the bigger tracks, but I can certainly take advantage of the next couple seasons honing my driving skills before getting behind the wheel of a new Boss.

It's pretty cool how many Shelby owners are getting into the new Boss. I honestly think the Boss 302 should be able to slightly outrun the NA GT350, as I've found that Shelby's specified weights don't seem to be as low as they claim, so I'd expect the NA GT350 with the extra "options" to be just a bit heavier than the Boss 302.

Oh, and my Boss exhaust shims are coming out as soon as I get it home, and are getting put up on the shelf, never to be put back in, unless I get major harrassment from the law. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine in KC runs his stock 302 in the mid 12's....that's impressive...but he's a heck of driver...so i cut him some slack. lol

Phil...i'm running a Steeda 2 coil intercooler and it made a huge difference in heat soak...right after it was installed...Shelby put out their's with the 2 fans...i don't know which is better, but if i had to do it over again...i'd waited another 3 weeks and got the Shelby one.

from what i'm hearing and reading...the 2013 Boss should be "The Bomb"...and the next car i'll purchase.

Archived