TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The new Boss 302 be weary!

Steve.k

Hello Everyone

Its been awhile since I've been on,I just wanted to let you know I raced a 302 boss Leguna seca and those things haul - - -.I have the Evo stage one and thought all was good but this is what happened.I got him pretty good the first run but after the cooler heat soaked that was it for me!He probably was getting me by 3 lengths after that.Thats not even with the race key in his yet?I talked to Mike at Evo I think its Time for Stage 2 and cooler!

If you beat him on the first run, you have the power and acceleration! You just lost power from heat soak. All you need is a bigger HE. You don't have to go to stage 2. Get em next time!! Now, if it were a Crapmaro, you could have beat em even with the heat soak happy%20feet.gif

If you beat him on the first run, you have the power and acceleration! You just lost power from heat soak. All you need is a bigger HE. You don't have to go to stage 2. Get em next time!! Now, if it were a Crapmaro, you could have beat em even with the heat soak happy%20feet.gif

Yes I was wondering about heat soak so I talked to Mike at evo and he said it backs the timing back about 4 degrees worth about 50hp.I didnt have much trouble with him at all the first run.Are you running the extra cooler in front of rad?

Are you talking about 1/4 mile runs? The Boss 302 and 302LS are road course racers. If the Boss Beat a GT500 in the 1/4 mile now thats impressive since the car was designed for the road course.

Are you talking about 1/4 mile runs? The Boss 302 and 302LS are road course racers. If the Boss Beat a GT500 in the 1/4 mile now thats impressive since the car was designed for the road course.

Yes 1/4mile runs

If you beat him on the first run, you have the power and acceleration! You just lost power from heat soak.

How do you know the Boss didn't just have a bad first run?

If the Boss' 3 runs all had consistant ET's, and the GT500 had one good one and two bad ones....THEN you could make that claim.

The author never said anything like that.

Phill

I'm flying out next Tuesday to pick up my Boss and will compare it to my 40th. I think the difference between the two is going to be like night and day.

Have fun with Scott cruizing around. Congrats on your new ride.

I have been thinging about selling some of my toys to maybe get a BOSS 302S. I want something that won't always break down on the road course.

Really without the data I dont think any comparison is relevant excrpt what we know GT500-1 Boss-2...driver plays a huge part...;@)

Exactly my point.

That's not a real scientific comparison...."I beat him once and he beat me twice. My car must have had heat soak"...

Ehhhhhhhhh, yeah, sure.

Phill

Exactly my point.

That's not a real scientific comparison...."I beat him once and he beat me twice. My car must have had heat soak"...

Ehhhhhhhhh, yeah, sure.

Phill

Phil The fella I raced is my cousin and yes he does know how to drive but then again I'm no slouch either.There are a few things I attribute to his win One the car is lighter,two I was running the good year eagles and three heat soak.The gt pulled him hard the first run but after that I could not get him out of the hole once I hit third I could pull on him a bit but not enough to catch him.I'll be ready next time as I do have a set of Nitto drag radials(I should have had on) and I'm ordering the exchanger for the aftercooler.I talked to Evolution and they say the 500 pulls Ignition timing once the engine heats up usually in one pass?Ive seen my car run 12.70 on first pass then drop to 13.01 after that.That Boss is no slouch and I would say 444 hp is being conservative on Fords side All I'm saying is if your running a stock GT500 your gonna get surprised! I know the old saying winning is not having to make excuses!I just didn't think the Boss'swere that Quick ,I'll be ready next time,ford did their homework on that car.

Steve

I'm flying out next Tuesday to pick up my Boss and will compare it to my 40th. I think the difference between the two is going to be like night and day.

Congrats brother.............I look forward to your comparison.

Phil The fella I raced is my cousin and yes he does know how to drive but then again I'm no slouch either.There are a few things I attribute to his win One the car is lighter,two I was running the good year eagles and three heat soak.The gt pulled him hard the first run but after that I could not get him out of the hole once I hit third I could pull on him a bit but not enough to catch him.I'll be ready next time as I do have a set of Nitto drag radials(I should have had on) and I'm ordering the exchanger for the aftercooler.I talked to Evolution and they say the 500 pulls Ignition timing once the engine heats up usually in one pass?Ive seen my car run 12.70 on first pass then drop to 13.01 after that.That Boss is no slouch and I would say 444 hp is being conservative on Fords side All I'm saying is if your running a stock GT500 your gonna get surprised! I know the old saying winning is not having to make excuses!I just didn't think the Boss'swere that Quick ,I'll be ready next time,ford did their homework on that car.

Steve

Hahah sounds like you are having a really fun time! Cool! Not to be preachin to the chior but, you are poppin the hood between passes?

Shelby On!!!

I have been thinging about selling some of my toys to maybe get a BOSS 302S. I want something that won't always break down on the road course.

Keep telling yourself that....:hysterical:

Thanks, it's going to be fun with my good friend Scott cruising around with all those Shelby's in Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. I will be driving the Boss home after all these events and should have a around 2200 miles on her in the first week. Dan, I see our 40th's as the real deal and the Boss a nice play toy. :hysterical: I'll be starting the first of these events this Sunday with the Power tour with the 40th. See you all at Indy with the Boss.

Gt67 did you get that car home and try it yet??

Don hasn't made the trek home yet! He'll start this part of his journey on Sunday.

But he has put some smiles on the Boss though (~800 miles so far).

Don Graciously allowed me the opportunity to put 80 of those miles on it today WOW, what an incredible car for the money!!

And the sound is GREAT!

Be sure to ask him about his escapade with a Roushcharged Roush Sport :hysterical:

Then their is the Camaro Incident that is even better :happy feet:

Thanks, it's going to be fun with my good friend Scott cruising around with all those Shelby's in Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan. I will be driving the Boss home after all these events and should have a around 2200 miles on her in the first week. Dan, I see our 40th's as the real deal and the Boss a nice play toy. :hysterical: I'll be starting the first of these events this Sunday with the Power tour with the 40th. See you all at Indy with the Boss.

Heck of a play toy brother...................... :rockon: . Safe travels.

After a week of meeting hundreds of great people, I got home yesterday with 2300 miles on the Boss. First, I would like to thank my good friend, Stngfever, who drove way out of his way from MI to Milwaukee to pick me and my daughter up at the airport for the ride to the dealer. After taking delivery we sure turned a lot of heads driving together with his awesome black SGT heading towards Indy. We later teamed up with Rick and his supercharged Roush and that's when we started tearing up the roads and the fun began.

Ok, here we go and it's not good for the GT500 guys. The first thing I noticed was how light the front of the Boss felt, the GT500 is much more nose heavy, so the Boss has much better balance. Taking on Camaros and other supercharged cars the Boss won because it could put the power on the ground. I did not have to work at not spinning the tires at launch. The other big thing I noticed; I didn't have to worry so much about Red-lining when shifting. The Boss seems to do it all on its own around 6000-6500 RPM, red line on the Boss is 7500 RPM. Last big thing I noticed was how much lighter the clutch is, which was very nice to have while drving in the cities. Bottom line is, I would take the Boss over a GT500 just because of its handing which makes it a safer Hot Rodder and you can relaxed more and enjoy watching Camaros in the rear view mirror. As far as the GT350 goes, I can't say but can't imagine it handing much better than the Boss. Sorry Warren!

I still would never sell my 40th because it serves a completely different purpose. Dan you are right, both cars are the real deal with different purposes and I will never call the Boss a toy any longer, they don't call the Boss a Boss for nothing.

I was amazed to see so many California cars and a great group of people from Spectre Performance who shipped so many of their fine track cars for this event.

I will be looking forward to next years Power Tour which will end in Dallas. I sure hope my 40th brothers will be there and just maybe a few GT350 guys, hear that Warren.

Will post some pics later in the Power Tour section. :D

Don

After a week of meeting hundreds of great people, I got home yesterday with 2300 miles on the Boss. First, I would like to thank my good friend, Stngfever, who drove way out of his way from MI to Milwaukee to pick me and my daughter up at the airport for the ride to the dealer. After taking delivery we sure turned a lot of heads driving together with his awesome black SGT heading towards Indy. We later teamed up with Rick and his supercharged Roush and that's when we started tearing up the roads and the fun began.

Ok, here we go and it's not good for the GT500 guys. The first thing I noticed was how light the front of the Boss felt, the GT500 is much more nose heavy, so the Boss has much better balance. Taking on Camaros and other supercharged cars the Boss won because it could put the power on the ground. I did not have to work at not spinning the tires at launch. The other big thing I noticed; I didn't have to worry so much about Red-lining when shifting. The Boss seems to do it all on its own around 6000-6500 RPM, red line on the Boss is 7500 RPM. Last big thing I noticed was how much lighter the clutch is, which was very nice to have while drving in the cities. Bottom line is, I would take the Boss over a GT500 just because of its handing which makes it a safer Hot Rodder and you can relaxed more and enjoy watching Camaros in the rear view mirror. As far as the GT350 goes, I can't say but can't imagine it handing much better than the Boss. Sorry Warren!

I still would never sell my 40th because it serves a completely different purpose. Dan you are right, both cars are the real deal with different purposes and I will never call the Boss a toy any longer, they don't call the Boss a Boss for nothing.

I was amazed to see so many California cars and a great group of people from Spectre Performance who shipped so many of their fine track cars for this event.

I will be looking forward to next years Power Tour which will end in Dallas. I sure hope my 40th brothers will be there and just maybe a few GT350 guys, hear that Warren.

Will post some pics later in the Power Tour section. :D

Don

Fantastic stuff Don.............happy%20feet.gif. Sounds like I really need to re-think my next Mustang purchase. :headscratch:

Congrats and enjoy your new beauty in good health.

It was my pleasure picking you up at the airport and spending the first 1000 SMILES with you and having the Boss in my rearview :slapfight:

The 80 miles I had in the pilot seat we're FANTASTIC! Thanks Again!

Thanks guys, for your kind words. Here are a few sneak peeks, the rest I will post later on the Power Tour thread

PowerTour2011033.jpg

My 40th in Valdosta GA

PowerTour2011028.jpg

The Boss on the way to Indy on Rt 66

PowerTour2011026.jpg

On Rt 66 goin' to Indy

PowerTour2011012.jpg

Scott's SGT in Michigan

Thanks guys, for your kind words. Here are a few sneak peeks, the rest I will post later on the Power Tour thread

PowerTour2011033.jpg

My 40th in Valdosta GA

PowerTour2011028.jpg

The Boss on the way to Indy on Rt 66

PowerTour2011026.jpg

On Rt 66 goin' to Indy

PowerTour2011012.jpg

Scott's SGT in Michigan

Way to go GT67,I'm glad you like the car.I was very impressed with my cousins also and yes those are scary quick.And here you guys thought my driving was getting rusty?Good to hear someone has the same impressions as I did.Nice Car!

Steve

You're preachin' to the choir.

I've been saying all along that the new 5.0 is going to humble a LOT of GT500 owners, not just the Boss or Boss LS. You can have a million HP but if your tires go up in smoke everytime you gas it, it's useless.

As for the heat soak issue: I am now a believer! My son came in from CA to visit and on the last day he was here I took him for a little ride to the bank. On the way back I hit some of the back roads to give him a taste of HP. My first blast was from 40mph up to 100mph to show him how quick the car can get to 100 (and it gets there QUICK). Then a couple of short blasts (but high boost) to a long farmland (pretty much deserted) 4 lane hwy and then up to 140mph (speedo indicated). Made a left on a two lane, got to the end, made a U-turn and took it from a dead stop watching the tach and shifting through all gears at the SVT shift light (which I THINK I have set at 6000rpm). I had to slow down as I approached two slow moving trucks, got around them and just took it slightly over the limit. At the next signal light I got it going in 1st then wooded it, which USUALLY ends up spinning the tires and hitting the rev limiter. Not this time. NO tire spin and NO sudden bump on the chip. I shifted to second and wooded it again (which USUALLY does the same thing). NO tire spin again.

That was a FIRST for me. That was the first time I experienced the typical symptoms of heat soak and it made a firm beliver out of me. I've contacted Van/Rayvan Racing and will be buying one of his C&R intercooler radiators (aka; heat exchanger). Having said that, that's also the first time I got on it that much for that long for that many times which is why I don't think I've ever hit the wall on the IC capability.

I figure if I got heat soak in that short of time, I'll get heat soak when I take it to the track (drag stip). And in ET/Brackets, *consistency* is the name of the game. In both RT and ET so I want to get the CAR as consistant as possible.

I can see now why you blamed heat soak. NO question in my mind that it does pull power and it pulls a TON of power. Enough that my 2.9L Whipple felt like a OEM SC at altitude (I'm in Co. Springs, ~6100' ASL).

I also learned that at 140mph, a "slight" bridge hump (road seam) gets you air! And a loose rear end....on the car AND driver!

Not only have I been telling folks that I think the new Coyote 5.0 is going to humble more than a few GT500 owners, I'm also predicting that it's going to kill (badly hurt) GT500 sales. I mean, why buy a GT500 when for darn near $20K less, you can get a car just as quick?

JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Archived