TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whats the RIGHT clutch for Super Snakes?

Well, it happened AGAIN, this time at 17k miles, first time at 8k miles before the Super Snake conversion. I have a 2007 Super Snake with the Kenne Bell 2.8L, dynoed at 640 hp at the rear wheels. I really don't drive it that hard very often so am EXTREMELY bummed that I need another clutch so soon. I am going to try to have it covered under warranty, but am wondering what brand/model etc. clutch have any of you found that is really the right setup to avoid going bad so soon? If I end up getting screwed by warranty, I at least want to upgrade to something that can take some abuse.

Thanx in advance..

Just changed my clutch a month ago, went with a SPEC clutch super twin (700- 1500 hp)

You can see it top of the page just click on clutch

Mine went with 13000 miles on it

Drives like a dream now

I have a 2007 ss too. Lost my clutch at about 18500 miles. I tried to get it covered under a Ford warranty, but no luck. I went to Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara, CA They have a custom clutch setup that has really improved drivability and performance. I can control my rear tire spin much better with this clutch. Check them out at www.mustangranch.com. By the way, do you have loud noises coming from your differential. I was told by a Ford rep that there is a recall fix kit for 2007 GT's but not for 500's and ss's. They told me to allieviate the noise, drive a few circle 8' patterns and that should reduce the noise. Crazy, huh?

Well, it happened AGAIN, this time at 17k miles, first time at 8k miles before the Super Snake conversion. I have a 2007 Super Snake with the Kenne Bell 2.8L, dynoed at 640 hp at the rear wheels. I really don't drive it that hard very often so am EXTREMELY bummed that I need another clutch so soon. I am going to try to have it covered under warranty, but am wondering what brand/model etc. clutch have any of you found that is really the right setup to avoid going bad so soon? If I end up getting screwed by warranty, I at least want to upgrade to something that can take some abuse.

Thanx in advance..

Hey Gary,

I know Joe installed at least 3 Spec's in S/S's with good results. Have Alex (vapor08GT500) put in a Spec and be done with it! :)

Just changed my clutch a month ago, went with a SPEC clutch super twin (700- 1500 hp)

You can see it top of the page just click on clutch

Mine went with 13000 miles on it

Drives like a dream now

I talked with Gary Davis and that is the clutch he reco-ed as well. I heard from some others that this clutch had a 'different' feel to it, was way overkill and that the SPEC Stage 3+ with a steel flywheel was the preferred setup. How does your Super Twin feel relative to the original? Is the pedal feel a lot different and engagement solid and not to high up, etc?

I have a 2007 ss too. Lost my clutch at about 18500 miles. I tried to get it covered under a Ford warranty, but no luck. I went to Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara, CA They have a custom clutch setup that has really improved drivability and performance. I can control my rear tire spin much better with this clutch. Check them out at www.mustangranch.com. By the way, do you have loud noises coming from your differential. I was told by a Ford rep that there is a recall fix kit for 2007 GT's but not for 500's and ss's. They told me to allieviate the noise, drive a few circle 8' patterns and that should reduce the noise. Crazy, huh?

I will find out for sure on Friday but its looking like I will get it covered under warranty (even though its the second to go bad!). If so, i will take the original again to defer spending my own money till I really have to. As far as differential noise, I never had any originally, but have changed to TruTrac w/new gears, a Watts Link, etc and have no issues at all. Don't understand Ford's reco on the circle 8's but whatever works for ya, good luck!

Hey Gary,

I know Joe installed at least 3 Spec's in S/S's with good results. Have Alex (vapor08GT500) put in a Spec and be done with it! :)

Steve,

Whats up man? Never saw ya at the Chicane estate sale. Chicane is now officially gone from that local. Will the name ever resurface remains to be seen, certainly not with our missed friend Joe. Do you know which SPEC clutch Joe was installing? Jason believes it was the Stage 3+ and not the Super Twin, but the Twin sounds like the killer, never ever a problem again way to go. Lets see if Hodger relays more drivability comments. See ya soon? G

Gary - no clutch is a bummer. You must have had too much fun last weekend!! If you dont go warranty I have heard that the Spec Twin SS is the way to go. If you do that you won't have to replace it every 9,000 miles. Now the problem is who do you get to do the work?

Steve,

Whats up man? Never saw ya at the Chicane estate sale. Chicane is now officially gone from that local. Will the name ever resurface remains to be seen, certainly not with our missed friend Joe. Do you know which SPEC clutch Joe was installing? Jason believes it was the Stage 3+ and not the Super Twin, but the Twin sounds like the killer, never ever a problem again way to go. Lets see if Hodger relays more drivability comments. See ya soon? G

I was with Joe when he put a SpecP trim in a blue S/S. I believe the others were SS trim. I think Alex put a SS in Dans red Snake and think that is what he recommends. Give him a call. That is where I'd go when my time comes. :)

My guess is that the posi unit is where the noise has been found and figure 8's would lock and unlock each side multiple times to resolve an issue? Maybe sticky/binding clutch plates?

If I remember correctly, the 500's have a carbon disc set up in the diff., I don't think that the GT's do.

R

I talked with Gary Davis and that is the clutch he reco-ed as well. I heard from some others that this clutch had a 'different' feel to it, was way overkill and that the SPEC Stage 3+ with a steel flywheel was the preferred setup. How does your Super Twin feel relative to the original? Is the pedal feel a lot different and engagement solid and not to high up, etc?

The clutch is so much better then the stock, engages just of the floor not half way up as before, real good feel to it

Very pleased with the result, and the guys at SPEC clutches were very helpful

Rob

The clutch is so much better then the stock, engages just of the floor not half way up as before, real good feel to it

Very pleased with the result, and the guys at SPEC clutches were very helpful

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob. I am still hoping for warranty to cover as things are tight, but I think if I gotta pay, I will follow your lead. Gary

Gary - no clutch is a bummer. You must have had too much fun last weekend!! If you dont go warranty I have heard that the Spec Twin SS is the way to go. If you do that you won't have to replace it every 9,000 miles. Now the problem is who do you get to do the work?

Hey Ken,

It starting going out on the way TO the track. After first day with it slipping worse and worse, we bagged it and went home a day early. As far as work goes, Don R. who worked with Joe and has a shop down the street has become my go to guy for work on the car. He already said he could install the new clutch if I go that route, but I am hoping for warranty due to cash crunch. As far as our brackets go, I am trying to reach my buddy to work them this weekend but i think he went on vacation which will push it out a week or so. Stay tuned.

Gary

Just an update on my situation. Despite it being the second clutch and being a Super Snake with the Kenne Bell, I dropped the car today at Galpin Ford who will be replacing the clutch under warranty. They stated that there have been changes to the clutches Ford installs again. The first change was to new part numbers and this time as well they have changed part numbers again to the units put on the newest GT500s. They will be changing the clutch , flywheel, and bearing of course. And all for zippo cash out of MY pocket. Oh happy days!! While a pain, I will wait to spend my own money for the SPEC or other type clutch only when they will stop covering under warranty. Thank you Galpin!

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my car from Galpin after new clutch installed UNDER WARRANTY!!! The clutch felt weird at first, VERY easy to push, almost too much so, and different than the original or first replacement. Was used to it in minutes and now it seems fine. No hiss at all, grabs solid at just the right pedal position. All in all I am thrilled to have it back and even more thrilled to have not spent a penny. Did I say Thanks Galpin!?!?!!

Thanks for the info Rob. I am still hoping for warranty to cover as things are tight, but I think if I gotta pay, I will follow your lead. Gary

Well done Gary for getting the clutch under warranty, now you can spend the money that you would have spent on the clutch on some goodies for the car

I am of to Vegas in three weeks I will be buying the cooling system for mine

Also I am going to look at the interior package

Rob

Well done Gary for getting the clutch under warranty, now you can spend the money that you would have spent on the clutch on some goodies for the car

I am of to Vegas in three weeks I will be buying the cooling system for mine

Also I am going to look at the interior package

Rob

Thanks Rob. Spending other people's money always works for me if i can swing it!! The savings help offset the cooling system I put in a few months ago. I'll be curious to see what you think about the interior package and its value. Good luck and have a gas in Vegas. Gary

What they put in your car was the 2010+ clutch and flywheel...sorry to say, at your power level, it will not last long. It actually isn't as strong as the 08 TSB clutch, but much smoother and less pedal effort. Been there, done that with many of these cars.

Alex

What they put in your car was the 2010+ clutch and flywheel...sorry to say, at your power level, it will not last long. It actually isn't as strong as the 08 TSB clutch, but much smoother and less pedal effort. Been there, done that with many of these cars.

Alex

I was afraid that would be the case, but I got about 2.5 years as a Super Snake with the first clutch replacement, so even if just defers spending my own money, for now that's a good thing. Once they stop warranting the clutch, i will definitely step up to the SPEC super twin or equivalent. Am bummed to hear that with their 2010 upgrade, you believe its not even as strong as the 08 TSB clutch. Anyway, financial smiles for now and looking forward to a track event soon!

Alex

Alex,

How many hours labour are involved in replacing the clutch and flywheel?

I've got a 2011 SS with the 3.6KB blower - its brand new and the engine is out for the right hand drive conversion we have to do in Australia.

I don't know if I should wear out the clutch - or change it now as I'm guessing the labour bill to swap the clutch would be a lot less with the engine out - or is that a non-issue?

Just need to work out if spending now will save me much later - the $$ are getting pretty tight at the moment.

Thanks,

J.

Archived