TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmissions with S/C

Just curious how the stock transmissions are holding up on supercharged vehicles. I was told the stock transmission was only good to about 360 HP. Anyone having any problems or replacements?

fine here, pushing 650rwhp

Almost 80k miles on my 06 GT (with 50k of that with a 550HP Whipple) and no issues.

You will need a clutch though, at about 25k miles after blower install if driven correctly.

Almost 80k miles on my 06 GT (with 50k of that with a 550HP Whipple) and no issues.

You will need a clutch though, at about 25k miles after blower install if driven correctly.

Assuming "driven correctly", what is the reason for needing a clutch around 25K?

Is the original clutch package unable to handle the HP?

CC

Well mine is an auto and I ask Justin from VMP this because my HP is getting so high.. He said I should have zero problems.. Dont know if that helps you any or not I hope it does.

Well mine is an auto and I ask Justin from VMP this because my HP is getting so high.. He said I should have zero problems.. Dont know if that helps you any or not I hope it does.

Ok, so now we need to be more specific and ask everyone if they are running ok on an automatic or manual trans.

I have a manual trans.:shift:

CC

Ok, so now we need to be more specific and ask everyone if they are running ok on an automatic or manual trans.

I have a manual trans.:shift:

CC

Oooops sorry man..lol

Mine has survived for 22k since going supercharged, I drag race the car 2-3 times a year 3-4 runs per night (street tires) and put the car on a short road course 2-3 times a year as well. So far the tranny has held up. Clutches? Stock clutch didn't last long with the supercharger maybe 2k miles. I've had two Spec 2+ clutches and one zoom Dual disc. My luck with clutches hasn't been good. The first spec barely made it past the break in when it started slipping in 3rd gear (spec to their credit warrantied it). In went a Zoom and a combination of a bad clutch and an improperly installed Ram Slave cooked the Zoom in less than 1k. Zoom warrantied the clutch as the pedal pressure was really high which it shouldn't have been. The shop that did the install warrantied their work and in went my second spec 2+ which lasted 18k but it made a maddening noise when pulling away from a light or down shifting. I sent it back and according to Spec it was wearing correctly, no glazing etc just noisy so they would not do anything. Now on an McLeod twin disc RST which is great, unfortunately I may have an issue with 2-3/3-4 syncros and block rings. Working with the dealer on the diagnosis/repair. If Ford bails on it ( I have the ESP) then it will go to Liberty Gears for a rebuild. Which means no hot rod cams or tokico shocks this summer. I think from following other forums that these transmissions are stouter than advertised.

Oooops sorry man..lol

Hey! :slapfight: To drive an automatic all you need to know is a few letters of the alphabet and the use of 1 foot..

Manual trans car drivers need to be much more coordinated.. .:speedie:

All in good fun..

CC

Hey! :slapfight: To drive an automatic all you need to know is a few letters of the alphabet and the use of 1 foot..

Manual trans car drivers need to be much more coordinated.. .:speedie:

All in good fun..

CC

haha.. I promised my wife i would get an auto so she could drive it but you know she never does.. But I am pleased with it every race I have been in while the standards are spining I am taking off like a rocket.... lol.. Trying to learn the alphabet the whole way..haha..

You know Im just joking brother...

haha.. I promised my wife i would get an auto so she could drive it but you know she never does.. But I am pleased with it every race I have been in while the standards are spining I am taking off like a rocket.... lol.. Trying to learn the alphabet the whole way..haha..

You know Im just joking brother...

For sure, my wife's 2nd car was a celica GT hatchback 5 speed. She bought the car, called me up and asked me to drive it home. Why? She did not know how to drive a manual trans! She learned quick. Now she can drive the Shelby and our Dodge 3500 6 spd.

kind of hard to learn the alphabet when the letters on the console are not in order.... P, uh, R, uh, N, D! Soooo confusing LOL!

CC

• 4 weeks later...

I have been told by the guy i have do all my transmissions and he said from 05-06 the t-3650 was rated to 350/350 and from 07+ they were rated to 500/500. unfortunately, they dont have upgraded kits for them other than steel syncros. i guess when it goes ill get a 6 speed.

I've only been SC'd a month now but had nitrous before and the 3650 is still going strong. I also have a WOT box which shifts much better. The stock 3650 doesn't shift worth a crud. I think that's why most people tear it up. Trying to shift 550rwhp at 6500 rpms takes way too much time and way too much effort. If you can wait for the T56 magnum, then do it or get a WOT box. MHO.

These trannys are pretty much bulletproof if you stay around that 500-600 hp mark.

Archived