TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strut tower brace stock?

rjm-1

I was just over my buddies house looking at his new 2012 GT500 with SVT Performance Package. I noticed his car has no strut tower brace.

My 2008 does have a brace and although I am not the original owner, I thought it was stock.

Does anybody know what year cars (only talking 2008 thru 2012) came with strut tower braces?

I had a 2007 GT500 and it had the strut tower brace from the factory. I believe the 2008's and 2009's had the same set up as my 2007. The 2010's , 2011's and 2012's do not have a strut brace installed from the factory. My 2011, non-SVTPP does not have one.

I had a 2007 GT500 and it had the strut tower brace from the factory. I believe the 2008's and 2009's had the same set up as my 2007. The 2010's , 2011's and 2012's do not have a strut brace installed from the factory. My 2011, non-SVTPP does not have one.

My 2011 SVT doesn't have a factory installed strut brace either.

Mine doesn't have one either. These braces are primarily for road racing, aren't they? I haven't noticed anything on the front end shaking or something like that. But then It hasn't been on a race course either. Or did Ford just further cheapen the product by not including it.

My '11 didn't come with one either, but Shelby has '07-'09 take-offs for $15 + shipping. I installed one of those using JLT brace spacers and the Ford Racing resonator eliminator for the CAI. I figured if Ford thought it was needed on the '07-'09s it was prob needed on mine. :peelout:

My '11 didn't come with one either, but Shelby has '07-'09 take-offs for $15 + shipping. I installed one of those using JLT brace spacers and the Ford Racing resonator eliminator for the CAI. I figured if Ford thought it was needed on the '07-'09s it was prob needed on mine. :peelout:

Can you install the brace yourself? If you unbolt the two nuts on each side of the shock tower, does the strut/shock move? Also can you post a pic to show me what it looks like on your 2011?

Thanks in-advance.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if we can add a strut tower brace to a stock Shelby GT500? I know a friend of mine added a KR brace to his, but I wanted to know if there is actually one specifically for the 2012 GT500?

Im also open to suggestions. I spoke to the people at Hennessey Performance at the Barrett Jackson show and they told me to contact them later this week to see if theres will fit, see photo.

struttower.jpg

struttower.jpg

I installed a JLT Brace on my 2010 and kept it and installed it on my 2012 with no problems. I didn't use the spacers that came with it and changed out the intake tube.

I notice that you installed strut bolt caps....Are they from Oval Industries? I couldnt install the pair that goes where the bar is attached....how did you do? Thanks

Does this impact handling and stability? I don't care about the bling factor as much.

The brace is designed to reduce unit body flex, especially when cornering. Perhaps the 2010+ models have redesigned motor mounts or body reinforcement that Ford felt eliminated the need for the brace, or perhaps they were just saving $50 in cost. If I were going to race my car, I'd probably put on a brace for practical reasons. It's relatively cheap, and certainly can't hurt (except for 5-10# of extra weight in front, I guess). I'm probably not going to race my car (though who knows - a visit to the local SCCA event might hook me), but still I might put on the FRPP brace because it looks neat. I'm shallow like that. :)

I thought the 10-12s didnt need strut towers because of the way they were setup. I forgot where I read this, but thought it was the reason they didnt add it to the newer gt500s.

Check out the FRPP FR3 handling packs for each Model Year....

For the 2010 kit, they include a new style (double tube w/center plate) Strut Tower Brace.

For the '11 and newer kits, they do NOT include a STB.

It's not the 2010 thru 2012 that Ford says is stronger, it's the '11 and '12. AND, in particular the '11 and newer Convertables that can NOW withstand the hi-HP blowers that FRPP sells (where as before, Shelby wouldn't upfit a 'Vert to a 700+ HP Super Snake).

Apparently, the 2010 MY GT500 is the "bastard child" of GT500's (one-off, in many ways)!

HTH,

Phill

• 2 years later...

From what I read, can't remember where, is that the stampings for the body was changed in 2011 making the body less prone to flexing. That is why the strut tower brace wasn't/isn't needed even for 'verts. You can mount the 2010 brace on a later car, I have one on mine.

I would love to read this story. Can anyone confirm?

Ford made a running change in the 2010 model run that stiffened up the chassis. You can see this in the 2010 Mustang convertible crash test ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfsIEBefZf4

"The other big change for 2011 is to the convertible. Last year, we said the 2010 Shelby GT500 convertible sucked because it retained the old 2008 model's kill-you handling, only upgrading the engine and looks. This year, the ‘vert gains all the 2011's chassis upgrades while boosting its lateral stiffness 12 percent for improved structural rigidity and less cowl shake. You can even get the Performance Package on the convertible. Thank you, Ford, for listening to us."

http://jalopnik.com/5548812/2011-shelby-gt500-first-drive

"The Shelby GT500 convertible model features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity."

Ford made a running change in the 2010 model run that stiffened up the chassis. You can see this in the 2010 Mustang convertible crash test ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfsIEBefZf4

"The other big change for 2011 is to the convertible. Last year, we said the 2010 Shelby GT500 convertible sucked because it retained the old 2008 model's kill-you handling, only upgrading the engine and looks. This year, the ‘vert gains all the 2011's chassis upgrades while boosting its lateral stiffness 12 percent for improved structural rigidity and less cowl shake. You can even get the Performance Package on the convertible. Thank you, Ford, for listening to us."

http://jalopnik.com/5548812/2011-shelby-gt500-first-drive

"The Shelby GT500 convertible model features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity."

^^^This is also the reason why the 2007-2010 GT500 Super Snake Converts were limited to 6xxhp when built by Shelby and the 2011-up Super Snake Converts can be optioned all the way to the higher hp levels. There were some structural changes made under the 2011-up that were not there on the 2010-B4.

FWIW - Even the B302 got a STB from Ford..........

2013-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-5

R

• 2 years later...

I ordered the FRPP double bar strut tower brace, M-20201-C. Fits perfect, no rubbing, gaps or bumps in the hood.

I thought this was discontinued and / or didn't fit the 2011 up cars. congrats on the fitment and sourcing!

I'm off to go and one.

I thought this was discontinued and / or didn't fit the 2011 up cars. congrats on the fitment and sourcing!

I'm off to go and one.

http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdirect.com/FORD_RACING_SHELBY_GT500_MUSTANG_STRUT_TOWER_BRACE_p/m-20201-c.htm

You will be happy with it.

I'm off to go and one.

so this will fit the 11-14 shelbys?

Yes if you go the Ford Racing Site above it describes that it will fit 10-14. On all of them you need to order the FRPP intake muffler delete. On the 13-14 you need to reroute the hose that goes across the top of the super charger. You will see that the holes line up perfectly on the brace and shock towers. Super easy to install.you will also know it works right away by testing the car drive backwards and turn. No more tire rubs.

Archived