TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Starving for Fuel..... GT-H

Hey guys,

on my 2006 GT-H i'm having a problem around 3800-4500 rpm and around 125+ km/h. She gets there real quick but then its like she doesnt get enough for or shes hit a rev limiter or something. Watching the tach as I push through it stutters upwards through the RPMs. The owner before had wired a daytime running lights module into one of my fuel rail sensors, so i thought that might be the problem but i got rid of it and im still having the problem. She still pushes through whatever is happening to her because shes hit over 200+ km/h but its like shes fighting herself. any ideas?

The previous owner wired lights into the fuel rail sensors? For a voltage source? What an idiot. If I remember correctly, it's a feedback sensor that varies the voltage back to the computer. When you alter that connection or wiring, you're going to chance the amount of resistance in it and thus, change the value back to the computer. I don't know if it's a 5v or 12v reference off hand, but I would check the voltage in and out. I would also be sure to solder, not just pinch, the wire repair. Make sure to use some heat shrink on it too.

Youre telling me. It was a shotty job. Thanks for the help. Im gonna have to get her wires all worked out i guess and Im thinking it would hurt to hook her up to a diagnostic to see if that picks anything up. Im really hoping it does

Just a thought. The plugs tend to foul on the GT-H. Mine did the same thing as yours seems to be doing. New plugs solved the problem. There use to be a lot of forum posts about this topic. The claim was fuel additive or substandard fuel.

You might pull a couple of plugs and take a look.

ya wouldnt hurt haha. I never thought of the plugs that could be the issue, just never thought it would be because shes only got 13,000 miles on her. But it doesnt fall on its face no where near, its just a little stumble but she pushes through it. But that could be right, I only run 91+ in her, usually from shell. What do you guys throw in? and from who?

I don't add anything to my fuel. 91 octane is fine. If anything, you may want to add more gasoline to the mixture. In other words, try running Mobil 1, 76 or BP. Both Chevron and Shell have the highest amount of fuel additives, including detergents, of any big brand gasoline that I know of.

The fouled plugs is a decent idea, and relatively easy to check.

So use Mobil 1, 76, or BP for the oil. Who do you reccommend for Gasoline then? And what size spark plug socket do i need, I tried 5/8 but it was too big.

No, I use Mobil 1, Exxon, and 76 for gasoline. We don't have Sunoco or BP out there unfortunately. I'm not sure on the plug socket size, but it will be metric.

No, I use Mobil 1, Exxon, and 76 for gasoline. We don't have Sunoco or BP out there unfortunately. I'm not sure on the plug socket size, but it will be metric.

Oh nuts, Im in BC. We dont have any of those. Chevron, Shell, Petro-Canada, Mohawk, Husky, and Esso in a few places.

The company line is to run 93 octane. I have been using BP here in the states and keeping all of my receipts just in case the plugs foul again. Of course, that might not even be your problem.

Good luck, I hope it's an easy fix!

• 2 months later...

Very interesting - i have a similar problem with my GT-H. Were you able to resolve this problem?

With my car it runs very strong up to about 130 km/h (I'm in Calgary) and then it feels like a governer is kicking in to limit the speed or something. Just wondering what number your car is and location your car was rented out of?

Are any members aware of any Hertz locations that "detuned" the Hertz cars?

Very interesting - i have a similar problem with my GT-H. Were you able to resolve this problem?

With my car it runs very strong up to about 130 km/h (I'm in Calgary) and then it feels like a governer is kicking in to limit the speed or something. Just wondering what number your car is and location your car was rented out of?

Hertz would not have de-tuned the cars. Perhaps subsequent owners made changes. The most common problem for a fuel starved 4.6 engine is a dirty fuel filter. Check with your 2006 Mustang GT owners manual for the maintenance schedule for the filter. A very cheap fix at any Ford dealer. If the filter doesn't help, have the dealer complete a diagnostic check as you may have another issue causing the problem. hope this helps, regards, Larry

Just to point out, with the price of fuel, I imagine most people who rented these cars probably put REGULAR Unleaded prior to turning them in. My 07 doesnt even have the sticker for +91 there are pieces of the sticker, so just because it had 13,000 miles, doesnt mean that the plugs dont need changing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya thats exactly what happened. My check engine light comes on now and it an engine misfire. As far as i know its just a new set of spark plugs, ill be able to get it fixed in october

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the confirmation - I will try the same fix here. It sounds like your problem is exactly the same as mine. I had Ford run diagnostics on my car and everything checked out fine. They are completely stumped - so I will sugggest we go this route. I appreciate the feedback - I hope this fixes the problem!!!

Neil

Archived