TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H hood pins question

How do you guys have your hood pin installed? Is the pin that goes into the vertical support square to the car or at a 45 degree angle to make better contact with the circular plate due to the slope of the hood? I can't decide the right way. I just get frustrated when after a ride on the highway I notice the pin has backed out and is not tight against the plate. Also, do you prefer a tight fit against the plate or much looser so that you can remove with one hand?

How do you guys have your hood pin installed? Is the pin that goes into the vertical support square to the car or at a 45 degree angle to make better contact with the circular plate due to the slope of the hood? I can't decide the right way. I just get frustrated when after a ride on the highway I notice the pin has backed out and is not tight against the plate. Also, do you prefer a tight fit against the plate or much looser so that you can remove with one hand?

The pins should not be a uper tight fit against the plates as this will cause stress on the fibreglass hood and cause cracks,does your car still have the stock hood plates? If so I would change to a new Shelby Billet ones, helps to save the paint on the hood but you may have to adjust the hood pins to fit, I have them and they look and work great.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/p5r3z-6316892.htm

I took a little different approach wanting to keep the original look and added clear rubber tubing to the insert pin before and after inserting it into the post. It keeps the pins from sliding, rattling and scratching the chrome and paint. When you snap the ring down it rests on rubber instead metal and resolves all the other issues.

I would attach a picture but it doesnt show up well enough since the tubing is clear.

I took a little different approach wanting to keep the original look and added clear rubber tubing to the insert pin before and after inserting it into the post. It keeps the pins from sliding, rattling and scratching the chrome and paint. When you snap the ring down it rests on rubber instead metal and resolves all the other issues.

I would attach a picture but it doesnt show up well enough since the tubing is clear.

Thanks for your input everyone. I have a few more tweeks to work out of my #108.

davidbdzuris.... I like your idea, gonna try it. Do you have the pin inserts parallel to the front bumper or at 45 degree to match the slope of hood? And why didn't you make the rubber tubing shorter so that the ring rests on the metal and therefore secures the tubing from slipping off? just wondering

Thanks for your input everyone. I have a few more tweeks to work out of my #108.

davidbdzuris.... I like your idea, gonna try it. Do you have the pin inserts parallel to the front bumper or at 45 degree to match the slope of hood? And why didn't you make the rubber tubing shorter so that the ring rests on the metal and therefore secures the tubing from slipping off? just wondering

My pins are parallel to the bumper. The rubber tubing fits snug enough to stay on by itself but comes off easy enough when I want to get under the hood. Personally I didnt like the metal to metal for wear purposes and when I snap the ring down it all comes together perfectly.

Archived