TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any orders on the GTS?

SWEDEMAN

I'm really looking forward to getting the GTS - believe me! And you are correct my500ss, there will be no GTSs running around Hawaii which makes it even better. However, there were a lot of gaffs and misunderstandings that led to my car being delivered to SA 2 weeks after the fact. It was delivered along with 16 other cars. Who knows how many other deliveries/drive ins there were during those two weeks. All of sudden I went from picking up my wife when she returns from AF in March in her new GTS to wondering when I'll get it. I wanted to surprise her ... but it appears the surprise was on me.

Morgan19D may be correct. Maybe there is a way to hold a spot in line while you drive the car. You may want to call Richard Valdes, assistant production manager, at 702.942.7325, to see about details. Richard was very nice and professional with me ... though it was obvious I wasn't happy with what had just happened to me. In fact, everyone at SA was very professional (which I guess is to be expected) though I'm sure they have a lot of people calling and attempting to bend the rules. And you'll like this Morgan19D, I contacted Overseas Military Sales and suggested, strongly, that they get hooked up with SA to offer these upgrades to service personnel coming back from overseas. You may not be in this boat in the future if OMCS and SA can hook up.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to get into your deal with SA, but my car was worked on there and the experience was priceless. Let it develop how it may and you will be very happy in the end, they do really great work and are really into making each car cool. They are car guys and gals there for real. Time goes by quick and before ya know it your car will be at your house and you will be the king, that is a really cool rare car you ordered! Cheers!

I do agree. Even though words were spoken after the build, the overall work done on the car was incredible. Trust them and let it happen, you'll be happy.

PS: Even though I am not the biggest fan of the GTS, you will be very happy and you'll also have a super rare car.

I have no idea how the number came into being. On my last receipt for payment the number was attached. I would speculate that your observation is correct and there are 33 other cars in front of mine. Considering that there were only 11 a month ago that is quite a jump. The only update I have on my car is that there is no update ... my car is still on the lot but I'm more than welcome to continually call back - though they have no idea of when my car will be on the production line. I would think that if SA is serious about getting a younger demographic into Shelby's that they would realize that the 30 crowd, for the most part, cannot buy a car and let it set on their lot for 60 days while they have nothing to drive. Kind of slows down the buyers.

I have no idea how the number came into being. On my last receipt for payment the number was attached. I would speculate that your observation is correct and there are 33 other cars in front of mine. Considering that there were only 11 a month ago that is quite a jump. The only update I have on my car is that there is no update ... my car is still on the lot but I'm more than welcome to continually call back - though they have no idea of when my car will be on the production line. I would think that if SA is serious about getting a younger demographic into Shelby's that they would realize that the 30 crowd, for the most part, cannot buy a car and let it set on their lot for 60 days while they have nothing to drive. Kind of slows down the buyers.

Very good point regarding the wait game. SAI marketing & sales, I hope you read this and consider the time frame for the builds.

That's kind of my concern right now. I have the money to put down for the conversion but seing as how the time frame seems to keep getting longer from what I am hearing, I can't be without my ride for that long. It is my daily driver after all... Ah well... I guess I will just keep following it and see what happens. I mean, if I can drop it off and have it done within like 30 days, I could deal with that!

I think the car is going to be great ... once I get it. I sincerely do not understand who does the strategic planning for SA. The idea for the SGT and the GTSs are great but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I'm with H0050 and sincerely think that SA needs to re-evaluate thier overall plan. I have the luxury of time and I think the buy in is just about right for the Shelby club (as SA publishes) but if the target audience is a 30 something crowd as I've read in multiple Shelby magazine articles then there is a disconnect between the planners, public relations, and the actual work at the production shop. Hang in there 19d ... maybe I'll have this back before my wife returns from Afghanistan and can give you a first hand evaluation of the finished product.

I am not huge fan of the GTS but I will weigh in on the build process. (I do like the 50th white with gold stripes though).

Shelby Amercian is not a huge megatropolis company where they have huge conversion lines and the car rolls down an assembly line and gets done. SA is a small company that relies on its orders to keep the doors open, period. They are a small company that offer big results for those who can wait it out, if you can't wait or can't make the decision......buy a used SGT or SGT/SC if you can find one of those. They appear huge because of the name recognition but they are not so you get personal attention when your car is being done just like the 1960's. I will say I have never had a car experience like the one I had at Shelby American, just doesn't happen anywhere else with that kind of name behind it. So there will be times when you want to complain, and you might as I did, but when you understand who they are and what your getting that will lesson the anxiety. I am impressed with my car and the experience but I did have a couple of mis steps, but overall it is an awesome experience you'll never forget and you will always talk about for many years in the future. I mean who has a car made by Shelby American.......very few actually.

EDITED:

I understand what you are saying ... I've done manufacturing at the international level for 31 years. My concern is that SA states that their strategic plans are targeting the younger buyer to keep the name alive and have offered the GTS package. Great idea! However, younger buyers, for the most part, cannot afford to buy a new car and send it off for 60-90 days. There is a better way to do business and I am simply pointing out the obvious - there is a disconnect in what they are publishing as a strategic plan and execution. Either they have to tailor the GTS production line to have a quicker turnover for the younger buyers (who don't have the funds and time we do) or they must start managing expectations of their targeted buyer.

As with most things, these issues usually boil down to communication. Between

the sales pitch and the actual deal, it should be made clear to prospective

buyers about the 60-90 day unavailability of the car (the manufacturing process

is not going to change) to set the expectations correctly. This is not a program

meant for daily drivers unless some unique opportunity exists, like a deployment.

The marketing term "younger buyers" masks the true intent: less affluent buyers.

I'm not trying to denigrate that term as I'm one of those. But less affluence

to some extent as the GTS still favors folks with an extra car or purchasing a new

one and delaying the actual possession. The true question of this issue is WHEN

that communication should happen. For example, if the brochure had that caveat,

would we even be having this exchange?

-Tom

+1 You are on the money. If I had known of the delays and other stumbling blocks that would be thrown in the way ... let alone the production timelines I'm not so sure I would have done this and just ordered the parts for half the price and installed them myself. I think there is a definite plus to having a proven race winner set up your car but the time lag is a real problem. I think the price for the GTS is worthwhile but the time involved is not value added.

+1 You are on the money. If I had known of the delays and other stumbling blocks that would be thrown in the way ... let alone the production timelines I'm not so sure I would have done this and just ordered the parts for half the price and installed them myself. I think there is a definite plus to having a proven race winner set up your car but the time lag is a real problem. I think the price for the GTS is worthwhile but the time involved is not value added.

I think owning a Shelby says more than saying I own a BMW. For the extra few nights without rest, you will be extremely happy when you get the call from Shelby saying the car is done.

8 '65-66 GT-350 Drag cars, 6 '66 GT-350 Convertibles, 11 '66 GT-350 Supercharged,

1 '68 GT-500 Supersnake, 1 '69 GT-350 Boss.

As for the other recent SA offerings, Roger or a registrar would know, but no more than

a handful each at most from what I have read beween the lines in TS.

-Tom

Thanks Tom!

I'm surprised about the tight lips at SA on the number of modern Mustangs. Every time I talk to Carroll he boasts how well the cars are selling...

AJ

I'm really looking forward to getting the GTS - believe me! And you are correct my500ss, there will be no GTSs running around Hawaii which makes it even better. However, there were a lot of gaffs and misunderstandings that led to my car being delivered to SA 2 weeks after the fact. It was delivered along with 16 other cars. Who knows how many other deliveries/drive ins there were during those two weeks. All of sudden I went from picking up my wife when she returns from AF in March in her new GTS to wondering when I'll get it. I wanted to surprise her ... but it appears the surprise was on me.

Morgan19D may be correct. Maybe there is a way to hold a spot in line while you drive the car. You may want to call Richard Valdes, assistant production manager, at 702.942.7325, to see about details. Richard was very nice and professional with me ... though it was obvious I wasn't happy with what had just happened to me. In fact, everyone at SA was very professional (which I guess is to be expected) though I'm sure they have a lot of people calling and attempting to bend the rules. And you'll like this Morgan19D, I contacted Overseas Military Sales and suggested, strongly, that they get hooked up with SA to offer these upgrades to service personnel coming back from overseas. You may not be in this boat in the future if OMCS and SA can hook up.

In the past, when there was a special occasion like yours, SA has always pulled out all the stops to make things happen. I believe that if you talk to any of the guys in charge and explain them what's going on, they will understand and do everything possible to make you and your wife happy.

My $.02

AJ

I understand what you are saying ... I've done manufacturing at the international level for 31 years. My concern is that SA states that their strategic plans are targeting the younger buyer to keep the name alive and have offered the GTS package. Great idea! However, younger buyers, for the most part, cannot afford to buy a new car and send it off for 60-90 days. There is a better way to do business and I am simply pointing out the obvious - there is a disconnect in what they are publishing as a strategic plan and execution. Either they have to tailor the GTS production line to have a quicker turnover for the younger buyers (who don't have the funds and time we do) or they must start managing expectations of their targeted buyer.

Somewhere on the SA website it should state what the current average waiting time is for each program. Just like at Disneyland it tells you how long the waiting time is at any given spot in the queue.

AJ

8 '65-66 GT-350 Drag cars, 6 '66 GT-350 Convertibles, 11 '66 GT-350 Supercharged,

1 '68 GT-500 Supersnake, 1 '69 GT-350 Boss.

As for the other recent SA offerings, Roger or a registrar would know, but no more than

a handful each at most from what I have read beween the lines in TS.

-Tom

I wanted to clear up a few inconsistancies on the classic Shelby's current data. I'm not sure what Tom's source of info was, but I know a few of the numbers are incorrect.

For instance for the last decade or two it has been confirmed by SAAC that there are only for 1966 GT350 Corvertibles (there was no white or pink as rumored in the early 70's)

6s2375 Ivy green with gold stripes top and sides

6s2376 Springtime yellow with white side stripes

6s2377 Candy apple red with white side stripes

6s2378 Saphire blue with white top and side stripes

There is only one '66 GT350S. It was Ivy green with white sides stripes. There were other paxton cars as you mention but not marked by the "GT350S" in side stripes. Off hand I don't know the actual number of paxton built cars, but it is low.

I would have to check on the 65-66 GT350 Drag cars but I'm not sure if 8 is correct it may be slightly higher.

The Supersnake is a 1967 GT500 and definately not a '68. It was used for many PR events including a Goodyear tire test shown in many magazines and a youtube video.

There was only one '69 GT350 Boss 302. It was a prototype of sorts.

I wanted to clear up a few inconsistancies on the classic Shelby's current data. I'm not sure what Tom's source of info was, but I know a few of the numbers are incorrect.

For instance for the last decade or two it has been confirmed by SAAC that there are only for 1966 GT350 Corvertibles (there was no white or pink as rumored in the early 70's)

6s2375 Ivy green with gold stripes top and sides

6s2376 Springtime yellow with white side stripes

6s2377 Candy apple red with white side stripes

6s2378 Saphire blue with white top and side stripes

There is only one '66 GT350S. It was Ivy green with white sides stripes. There were other paxton cars as you mention but not marked by the "GT350S" in side stripes. Off hand I don't know the actual number of paxton built cars, but it is low.

I would have to check on the 65-66 GT350 Drag cars but I'm not sure if 8 is correct it may be slightly higher.

The Supersnake is a 1967 GT500 and definately not a '68. It was used for many PR events including a Goodyear tire test shown in many magazines and a youtube video.

There was only one '69 GT350 Boss 302. It was a prototype of sorts.

Thanks for the specifics... Gregg had also previously clarified about the '66 convertibles and the wrong year

for the Supersnake. Source for the Drag cars was Brad Bowling, Standard Catalog of Mustang (4 in '65, 4

in '66). Source for the Supercharged '66 GT-350s, including the one striped version is from Jerry Heasley,

Mustang Masterpieces. Of course, someone with the official SAAC Registry can validate them for sure.

-Tom

Thanks for the specifics... Gregg had also previously clarified about the '66 convertibles and the wrong year

for the Supersnake. Source for the Drag cars was Brad Bowling, Standard Catalog of Mustang (4 in '65, 4

in '66). Source for the Supercharged '66 GT-350s, including the one striped version is from Jerry Heasley,

Mustang Masterpieces. Of course, someone with the official SAAC Registry can validate them for sure.

-Tom

I should apologize to everyone for hi-jacking this thread. I starting checking here for info and/or pictures of "production" Shelby GTS models and that paragraph on the classics caught my eye. Hopefully we will hear and see more about the production run of the GTS cars very soon. I'd hate to find out they follow in the lines of the SC/SR/Turbo history with seriously limited production numbers..

The '66 GT350 verts and the '67 SuperSnake are some of my favorite classic Shelby's. I had to chime in (sorry I missed the earlier correction). I'm familar with both authors you mention. I'll have to check into the 65-66 Drag cars as you've got me curious about those now. I have a few pictures of them from the web and for some reason the number 13 comes to mind including 9 '65s and 4 '66s.

Somewhere on the SA website it should state what the current average waiting time is for each program. Just like at Disneyland it tells you how long the waiting time is at any given spot in the queue.

AJ

If there are production lists up I haven't discovered them ... yet. I continue to pore over the SA site looking for "stuff" that may be of interest. I explained in detail to SA as to why it was important to get the car back by mid-March but there I never got the impression that it was important enough to move others over to get the car done earlier. I would submit to those scheduling production that it would be more important to get first time buyers Shelby buyers such as Morgan19D to the front of the line. I can imagine him showing the car around his Army installation, with thousands of soldiers and many of them Mustang buyers, gloating over owning a real Shelby for a small price tag. You cannot buy that kind of advertisement for any amount of money!

• 2 weeks later...

The last email I got from SA they said that my car would hit production in 90-120 days. ??? Do they make this stuff up? I was told I am in a "first come first serve" customer basis for SA builds and I understood that. I sent an email telling them they had projected 45-60 days in many phone calls to me which is why I went ahead and shipped the car to Gaudin in December. Now, there were some gaffs between where I bought the car and Gaudin which ended up with my car not being delivered until 25 January. However, I thought I would have it back before my wife returns from Afghanistan at the end of March, and was told that wouldn't be a problem, which sealed the deal. Now the date is moving and it will come after my wife returns.

This kind of crap is exactly why I do stuff in email or written fashion. I would send an email for GTS build details and get a phone call in return ... because it's quicker. Well, quicker isn't better and they can claim any date or details because it's not documented. I thought the government and department of defense had documentation problem ... not a commercial business. I sent emails to SA on possible gear, CAI, and tune prices and details. I got the prices via a phone call, wrote them down, shipped it all back in an email and got no answer. Sent a follow up email, no answer. I gave up, paid off the GTS balance, and will either do the other stuff myself or have it done locally. I don't get it.

I told the sales person today that their execution of the GTS program stinks. The idea is to get younger buyers in accordance with their strategic vision. Really??? I don't think so. With this kind of execution the Shelby name will disappear shortly after Carroll is gone; and that would be a tragedy. I asked why they didn't install a customer/business interface website that allows me to see where I am in line and the status of my parts and build. I can use that for many products and services ... what's wrong here? I was told that the website is only as good as the input. ???? You're kidding!!!! Oh, and my deivery date depends upon whether or not they have my parts. ??? The receipt I received on 28 December for my down payment said the parts were ordered at that time and there would be no refunds. Does it really take SA months to get parts? Now I understand the statement about no refunds. I'm stuck.

Morgan19d, if I were you I would go to Speedlab, Roush, or somewhere else. This is crazy. I was trying to get the military car sales guys on board with SA to help soldiers get into a Shelby but I'm sending them an email and tell them to forget it. Will I be happy to get a car I paid for in December and may not have until April? No, I won't. This entire episode has left a very bad taste in my mouth. The upside to all of this is that when SA finally goes away in the future my car will be worth more.

Wow... I am really sorry to hear about the headache! Thanks for the heads up though. Hopefully they get your car done asap. I don't understand how there are that many issues with the process. If you had your order in in December and the car didn't even arrive until late January and they STILL dont have the parts for your build, that is pretty pitiful... If there are issues with the start of your build there should be a simple explanation of why there is a hold up (like a supplier unable to provide the parts on time).

I can understand some folks stating to be patient, that it will all be worth it once you have your car... but not being able to get a straight answer and nothing following the timeline you were given upon down payment is not acceptable.

It is just business, but no one likes to be on the back end of a business decision.

Here is why, IMO, it is taking so long:

1) There is very little profit in a GTS build.

2) They "most likely" will build a Supersnake or GT350 before you get your car, because it takes a lot of $$ to keep SA moving forward and the GTS will not provide that type of profit on a sporadic order basis.

3) SA is not the huge company people think it is. They have a big name but they have issue's like any other small business does, cash flow is a must have and they must make cars they make money on.

4) They tried to make a Shelby for every person, full well knowing that Shelby Mustangs were never a car that was to be built for every person.

5) The only reason the Shelby GT was successful and the GTS will not be is because the SGT came out on the tail end of the Hertz rent-a-racer program, backed by FOMOCO and a pre-title car and the GTS was established in a board room meeting with no Hertz or nationally advertised car prior to its launch.

Lastly, I would wait it out as you might have the most rare Shelby Mustang on the planet when it is finally done!

Hang in there!!

EDITED: IMO

Could be words of wisdom swedeman. SA is talking out of both sides of their mouths. We want a younger crowd to buy into SA ... but we have every intention of screwing them over. Of course, the younger drivers will understand because, after all, they are getting a Shelby. All I have to say to their processes after talking to some of the guys at Schofield and telling them what happened to me is that they have no intention of getting a GTS ... and they are no longer interested in seeing my GTS assuming it gets here before I have to buy antique plates.

They don't want to see the car because if they do decide it's worth the money they cannot afford the long lead time. SA has really shot themselves in the foot on this one. I would volunteer to be their strategic planning advisor but it appears they just don't care.

At SAs pace I would hazard a guess it will be the only GTS in Hawaii. If swedeman is correct, this is just the way SA does business; then it is in direct opposition to their published strategic plan. The idea of a little profit today in the GTS program is to hook consumers for the future with bigger and more expensive builds. I'm completely disappointed in how I've been treated throughout this process and I would guess SA will fail over the coming years with their inability to cultivate different clientele.

Unless things change between now and the time my wife comes home I have no future plans of buying from SA, there are many other businesses offering Mustang builds. I can't get over them telling me it would take 45-60 days to complete the build and then doubling the time just boggles my mind. You would think that I would be used to ruses after being in the Army for 31 years but I just never get used to it ... and I hope I never have to get used to it.

I think it will be a great car but you can never put a price on trust.

Archived