TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any orders on the GTS?

SWEDEMAN

Keeping it Shelby and still deciding - without going Boss 302

Ford Racing heads, cams & intake kit $4500

E-force supercharger $7500

2012 5.0 engine conversion $12,000

Well me too...... at this point. My car will be out of the paint shop this week, hopefully. BTW the Lincoln looks good in the picture!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, back on topic:

1. If you think the 10K and 12K GTS packages are way overpriced, then what should SA provide at those prices?

2. Do you think the NA GT350 is overpriced? If not, then what makes it worth it?

Really not trying to poke here: I am curious. For the record I think the GTS packages are

somewhat overpriced, especially the difference between the two.

-Tom

OK I'll bite. My main thing on the GTS is it is made with mostly old parts from cars already produced, ugh. The GT 350 is a car that has many new parts, is unique and has special meaning to us who lived in the GT350 era.

I believe SA wanted a "shelby for every person" with a eye on the monetary gain, for sure. The Shelby Mustangs were never made or intended to be for every person. They tried to make it for the masses with a price tag that was stratospheric, in my mind it was a drunken board meeting with a guy piping off saying "hey lets make a Shelby for everyone". Ya uhuh.....

But I will add, the 50th White with Gold stripes is not bad looking but at that $$ number.........no thanks. The GTS could be the rarest Shelby ever made just ask Edsel he'll be at the Bash!!! :)

I think that some may appreciate the looks of the GTS, simple and cool. Many said the 350 was overstyled and that they liked the SGT's simple style....and SA responded. That simple IMO.

I agree completely about the simpler lines of the GTS over the GT350. That and the fact you can

get equivalent performance of the GT350 for thousands less which I have read was SA's response,

regardless of how rare it may become.

-Tom

I think that some may appreciate the looks of the GTS, simple and cool. Many said the 350 was overstyled and that they liked the SGT's simple style....and SA responded. That simple IMO.

It takes an artist to see it that way. I like the GT350 a lot but some just think it is too over done, too each their own i guess.

PS: The 50th GTS White with Gold stripes is nice though.

I agree completely about the simpler lines of the GTS over the GT350. That and the fact you can

get equivalent performance of the GT350 for thousands less which I have read was SA's response,

regardless of how rare it may become.

-Tom

That's what I really like about the GTS, it is not overstated. I think the price is in the ballpark ... unless you like to do your own work; then it appears high. While I can do the work myself I really enjoy the fact that it's a price many can afford to get into the Shelby club. It took years for me to get Shelby number one. I'm looking forward to Shelby number 2 and if I can manage it I'll see if I can get the car sales company the targets service personnel to work a deal with Shelby as well. There are a lot of GIs in Hawaii that have a Mustang but would have loved to have had GT500. I'll see if I can match up to organizations to get this one to work.

Does anyone know of any kits to mount front tags on cars without putting hole in the bumper?? Once I get the GTS home I would rather not have to drill holes to mount the plates. Hawaii is a real stickler about mounting plates front and back.

They also have it with remote control, so you can activated while your being pulled over :hysterical3:

The GTS could be the rarest Shelby ever made just ask Edsel he'll be at the Bash!!! :)

Definately could be, it would be in the same group as the F-150 SuperSnake and the Don Produmne Super Snake, they are very few of them out - 5/6 of each

Now that i think about it, the GTS at the current production #s would not crack the top 10 in

rare Shelbys. Other than the two ShelbyEra08 mentions, there are the following:

65/66 GT-350 Drag

66 GT-350 Convertible

66 GT-350 Supercharged

68 GT-500 Supersnake

69/70 GT-350 Boss

SGT/SR

S197 Shelby SR

S197 Shelby Supercharged

S197 Shelby Turbo

I am sure I am missing more...

-Tom

Now that i think about it, the GTS at the current production #s would not crack the top 10 in

rare Shelbys. Other than the two ShelbyEra08 mentions, there are the following:

65/66 GT-350 Drag

66 GT-350 Convertible

66 GT-350 Supercharged

68 GT-500 Supersnake

69/70 GT-350 Boss

SGT/SR

S197 Shelby SR

S197 Shelby Supercharged

S197 Shelby Turbo

I am sure I am missing more...

-Tom

And the F150 Super Snake. Only 4 so far?

65/66 GT-350 Drag

66 GT-350 Convertible

66 GT-350 Supercharged

68 GT-500 Supersnake

69/70 GT-350 Boss

SGT/SR

S197 Shelby SR

S197 Shelby Supercharged

S197 Shelby Turbo

Do you happen to have the actual number of cars built for the above list?

Thanks,

AJ

Hey Tjys, when are they scheduled to start on your car? I can't wait to see it! Maybe I should go ahead and put in my down payment, so I can get on the schedule for the spring time...

I'll email the production manager and ask. I would love to get the car back around mid-March before my wife returns from Afghanistan so I can pick her up in it but I was being told by the operations guys that date will be very close. Since they've had the car for a week it appears that it's a 60 day turn around.

Thanks,

AJ

8 '65-66 GT-350 Drag cars, 6 '66 GT-350 Convertibles, 11 '66 GT-350 Supercharged,

1 '68 GT-500 Supersnake, 1 '69 GT-350 Boss.

As for the other recent SA offerings, Roger or a registrar would know, but no more than

a handful each at most from what I have read beween the lines in TS.

-Tom

13 '65-66 GT-350 Drag cars, 6 '66 GT-350 Convertibles, 11 '66 GT-350 Supercharged,

1 '68 GT-500 Supersnake, 1 '69 GT-350 Boss.

As for the other recent SA offerings, Roger or a registrar would know, but no more than

a handful each at most from what I have read beween the lines in TS.

-Tom

Not positive on the ALL the other numbers... But there were only 4 @ 1966 'Verts (not including the 12 continuation cars built in the mid-90's) and the GT500 SuperSnake was a 1967 Model...

Don't have a copy of the SAAC Registry to verify the other versions...

Thanks,

AJ

I have one of the S197 Supercharged models. Between mine, the two that Dave Duran owns and the prototype, that's four accounted for, at least that they'll admit to. Harder getting build totals out of the Mothership than medical info at a pharmacy!

Not positive on the ALL the other numbers... But there were only 4 @ 1966 'Verts (not including the 12 continuation cars built in the mid-90's) and the GT500 SuperSnake was a 1967 Model...

Don't have a copy of the SAAC Registry to verify the other versions...

Thanks for the corrections... I had thought 4 of the '66 Verts as well, but the book "Shelby Mustangs"

(by Leffingwell & Newhardt) stated 6. The old axiom, don't believe everything you read applies

here. So to confess, I used their source for the numbers of '66 Drag cars. Heasley's Mustang

Masterpieces was the source for the other numbers. I too haven't found the reason to spend the

coin on the SAAC Registry (yet).

Apologies for going so off topic...

-Tom

Thanks for the corrections... I had thought 4 of the '66 Verts as well, but the book "Shelby Mustangs"

(by Leffingwell & Newhardt) stated 6. The old axiom, don't believe everything you read applies

here. So to confess, I used their source for the numbers of '66 Drag cars. Heasley's Mustang

Masterpieces was the source for the other numbers. I too haven't found the reason to spend the

coin on the SAAC Registry (yet).

Apologies for going so off topic...

-Tom

For as long as I could remember, 6 was the number most people used... However, it was recently verified by the SAAC Registrars as only being 4... Something about 2 "unused" CSM #s in between the 4 cars made at the end of the 1966 run and the 12 continuation cars done later...

Hey Tjys, when are they scheduled to start on your car? I can't wait to see it! Maybe I should go ahead and put in my down payment, so I can get on the schedule for the spring time...

It appears I didn't understand the date my car would be delivered to Shelby American after the installation of the rear spoiler. It was delivered today; not two weeks ago. Richard Valdes, production manager, said that cars typically sit for 30 days before they are put on the rack. That really screws up the time line to have the car back in time for my wife's return from Afghanistan in mid to late March. Looks like I'll be picking her up in my car. That means you will be without your car for about 60 days including time on the rack. Crap.

I was told by production today that it would take 45 days to get the car on a lift. I should have my car in 60 days. Oh, and then I have to ship from Shelby America to Hawaii. I want the GTS upgrade but if I had known these timelines up front I would have skipped all of this. I'm not happy - period. I've read that the GTS is a way to get a younger demographic into Shelby's. That's a great idea ... executed poorly.

I was told by production today that it would take 45 days to get the car on a lift. I should have my car in 60 days. Oh, and then I have to ship from Shelby America to Hawaii. I want the GTS upgrade but if I had known these timelines up front I would have skipped all of this. I'm not happy - period. I've read that the GTS is a way to get a younger demographic into Shelby's. That's a great idea ... executed poorly.

Not trying to make light of your situation but it will all be worth it once you get the GTS home.......plus I imagine not to many GTS's running aroung Hawaii. That's cool.

GTS build are averaging around 60 days or less.

Roger

From what I have heard, it doesn't take long once it is in the process it is just getting it onto the lift. Is there anyway to coordinate better to cut down on time. For example, When you know a spot is coming open in production then I could deliver it to SAI personally? Or does the actual conversion really take that long to do. I want to convert mine, but need to find out how long the wife will be driving me to work for, bumming rides, or being "green" and riding my mountain bike to work, lol.

Not to get into your deal with SA, but my car was worked on there and the experience was priceless. Let it develop how it may and you will be very happy in the end, they do really great work and are really into making each car cool. They are car guys and gals there for real. Time goes by quick and before ya know it your car will be at your house and you will be the king, that is a really cool rare car you ordered! Cheers!

Archived