TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger upgrade

jmungiel

Dear all,

Just purchased the ford racing supercharger upgrade kit. To be installed by jam engineering in freehold, nj.

Talked with 2 individuals at ford and one said warranty is void with this 750 hp supercharger upgrade. installer told me that when they do the pro cal /Dyno work, the system will allow them to officially register the ford racing modification and then it would be covered. I know and trust these guys, but confused with the response of the one ford guy.

The installer said it's warranties. Either way, I am proceeding with the install. I don't drag or road race, so there should be no problems.

Anyone aware if this voids the warranty?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

It is not covered IAW the link below. The 660 hp upgrade (2010) does have a 12 month/12000 mile warranty, which replaces the existing warranty. The kicker is it has to be installed by an authorized Ford dealer.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warranty/FORD_RACING_LIMITED_WARRANTY_2011.pdf

Page 3 is where the info is.

It is not covered IAW the link below. The 660 hp upgrade (2010) does have a 12 month/12000 mile warranty, which replaces the existing warranty. The kicker is it has to be installed by an authorized Ford dealer.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warranty/FORD_RACING_LIMITED_WARRANTY_2011.pdf

Page 3 is where the info is.

i discussed putting a TVS in my car with the local Ford dealer,and undertsood the warranty issue on the TVS--but they also told me that the driveline,clutch,tranny warranty is gone when you install the TVS--is that your understanding as well.I have a 7 year warranty and didnt want to run that risk

i discussed putting a TVS in my car with the local Ford dealer,and undertsood the warranty issue on the TVS--but they also told me that the driveline,clutch,tranny warranty is gone when you install the TVS--is that your understanding as well.I have a 7 year warranty and didnt want to run that risk

Neither is totally true.

Fist off, the warranty quoted (1 year for the TVS if installed by the dealer at point of purchase, 90 days if installed by the dealer post sale) is for the SUPERCHARGER, not the CAR.

Same with the Whipple 2.9L 750hp version. NO WARRANTY ON THE SUPERCHARGER.

Neither one will automatically void your drivetrain warranty. As per the Magnuson/Moss Federal Warranty Act, the dealer has the burdon of proof and must prove your modification was the root cause of the item that failed.

If you twist off a transmission input shaft on a hard launch, it won't be hard for the dealer to prove that your increased HP mod was the reason for the failure.

If your alternator fails there ain't NO WAY they'll be able to blame your mod for the failure.

The problem is, the dealer will automatically point to your mod and tell you that's the cause of the failure and there's not too many people that can or will afford a lawyer to sue the dealer for breech of contract so most will just give up, bite the bullet and do the work (or pay to have it done) themselves. AND, believe that the dealer was within his rights.

It ain't so. Remember, the DEALER has the BURDON OF PROOF. That means, THEY have to PROVE that the failure was caused by the aftermarket modification, not that the vehicle owner has to prove it didn't.

HTH,

Phill (been there done that, and won)

That 12/12 warranty is crap. Install it yourself and save the $$. A TVS is easier to install than an intake manifold. Warranty depends on the dealer. I've had two TVS's and never got a repair denied. I'm sure there are some dealers that are not as nice.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I never knew the "burden of proof" was on the dealer with regard to repair justification.

However, I hope not to have any problems as I am very careful when driving the car. I don't drag it or road race it.

Do you guys think I will have problems knowing my style of driving?

Have you ever heard of any problems with guys that installed these 750 HP supercharger upgrade kits?

Thanks again and appreciate your time and support!!!

It was my understanding that if you get the 750 HP kit installed, your Powertrain warranty is void - however the warranty on everything else is intact. It was mentioned in this article a while back: "If there is one drawback to the 750hp kit, it's that installation voids the powertrain warranty, but the non-powertrain components are still covered." LINK

I would definitely get something in writing from your ford dealer - just so you know exactly where you stand with everything.

All the warranty and such talk aside...I'm really hoping that you are able to go ahead with the install. This is something that I might do next year if I decide to keep my current car. I would love to hear your driving impressions with the new Supercharger.

Phill and I both have the FRPP/Whipple 725/750 hp kit.

Under normal, everyday driving conditions, the car is as docile as Grandma's Buick. Push the throttle hard and be prepared for an E-ticket ride.

You will not be disappointed.

On edit...here's the link to when I added my kit.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/720728-frpp-whipple-kit-content-install-09-gt500.html

It was my understanding that if you get the 750 HP kit installed, your Powertrain warranty is void -

Like I said, not "totally true".

Your "Powertrain" consists of: your engine, transmission, driveshaft and rear axle assy.

If I put a Whipple 2.9L supercharger on my car and a camshaft goes bad....did the supercharger cause that? Of course not so why would I lose my warranty on it? And it IS part of the Powertrain.

And let the dealer TRY to convince me (or an arbitrator) that the increased HP wore a cam lobe off, or spun a bearing, or broke a cam in half. The engine rev limiter is still the same as the factory set it so there's no increase in cam speed, no extra load on the cam, etc. so there ain't NO WAY a 2.9L could cause a cam failure. Or timing chain/s failure. Or......

See my point?

They can't automatically void your "Powertrain" warranty just because you added more boost to the engine and again, the dealership has the burdon of proof (google; magnuson-moss warranty act).

Phill

It all depends on your resources to "defend" yourself, and also your relationship with your Ford dealer...

I live in NJ, and "most" of the dealers service departments are staffed with jackasses... notice I said ""most"...

The other question, is: If you're not at all interested in drag racing or road racing, why the need for a bigger S/C and way more power than your suspension and tires can handle?

You looking to be a "dyno-queen"? LOL

Either way, enjoy the car...

GUS

It was my understanding that if you get the 750 HP kit installed, your Powertrain warranty is void - however the warranty on everything else is intact. It was mentioned in this article a while back: "If there is one drawback to the 750hp kit, it's that installation voids the powertrain warranty, but the non-powertrain components are still covered." LINK

I would definitely get something in writing from your ford dealer - just so you know exactly where you stand with everything.

All the warranty and such talk aside...I'm really hoping that you are able to go ahead with the install. This is something that I might do next year if I decide to keep my current car. I would love to hear your driving impressions with the new Supercharger.

thanks for the input. part has been ordered and will be installed in august....just in time for some jersey summer fun

It all depends on your resources to "defend" yourself, and also your relationship with your Ford dealer...

I live in NJ, and "most" of the dealers service departments are staffed with jackasses... notice I said ""most"...

The other question, is: If you're not at all interested in drag racing or road racing, why the need for a bigger S/C and way more power than your suspension and tires can handle?

Either way, enjoy the car...

GUS

Thanks. Any idea which dealers in Jersey are not "jackasses"?

The car is already a garage queen. With regard to the power, it is not powerful enough for me stock. At least when I step on it now, I will feel some more of what I expect with regard to power.

Im adding a lower center control arm and will get better tires in the spring.

Thanks. Any idea which dealers in Jersey are not "jackasses"?

The car is already a garage queen. With regard to the power, it is not powerful enough for me stock. At least when I step on it now, I will feel some more of what I expect with regard to power.

Im adding a lower center control arm and will get better tires in the spring.

I'll PM you with some info...

1). It all depends on your resources to "defend" yourself, and also your relationship with your Ford dealer...

2). I live in NJ, and "most" of the dealers service departments are staffed with jackasses... notice I said ""most"...

3). The other question, is: If you're not at all interested in drag racing or road racing, why the need for a bigger S/C and way more power than your suspension and tires can handle?

1). BINGO. I completely agree! On both counts.

2). It ain't just in Joisey, it's Nationally. And like ya say....."most".

3). Why? The same reason I own firearms capable of spewing 30 rounds out the end of the barrel in mere seconds....BECAUSE I CAN! <snerk> Never had mine on a dyno, can't say I ever plan to. What I *want* to do is run the Mojave Mile on a 100% street legal tune and get 190+MPH out of it.

Again...BECAUSE I CAN!!! <lol>

It's all about "boys and their toys",

Phill

1). BINGO. I completely agree! On both counts.

2). It ain't just in Joisey, it's Nationally. And like ya say....."most".

3). Why? The same reason I own firearms capable of spewing 30 rounds out the end of the barrel in mere seconds....BECAUSE I CAN! <snerk> Never had mine on a dyno, can't say I ever plan to. What I *want* to do is run the Mojave Mile on a 100% street legal tune and get 190+MPH out of it.

Again...BECAUSE I CAN!!! <lol>

It's all about "boys and their toys",

Phill

Phill,

Do you have a Warthog in the garage??? happy%20feet.gif

A10-Warthog-and-Chaingun_view.jpg

Like I said, not "totally true".

Your "Powertrain" consists of: your engine, transmission, driveshaft and rear axle assy.

If I put a Whipple 2.9L supercharger on my car and a camshaft goes bad....did the supercharger cause that? Of course not so why would I lose my warranty on it? And it IS part of the Powertrain.

And let the dealer TRY to convince me (or an arbitrator) that the increased HP wore a cam lobe off, or spun a bearing, or broke a cam in half. The engine rev limiter is still the same as the factory set it so there's no increase in cam speed, no extra load on the cam, etc. so there ain't NO WAY a 2.9L could cause a cam failure. Or timing chain/s failure. Or......

See my point?

They can't automatically void your "Powertrain" warranty just because you added more boost to the engine and again, the dealership has the burdon of proof (google; magnuson-moss warranty act).

Phill

Thanks very much for the in-depth insight Kona! I will definitely google the warranty act and save it in my computer,

Sounds great...Can't wait to hear your impressions of the car with the major boost in power.

The first word that came out of my mouth started with a F and ended with a K.

And it wasn't "Frank".

Phill

The first word that came out of my mouth started with a F and ended with a K.

And it wasn't "Frank".

HA! HA! That's what I think I would like to experience at some point. I mean, the car as it sits now can put a huge smile on my face with the stock power level...but I'm thinking I might want that "scary" fast factor next year.

Phil and I both have the FRPP/Whipple 725/750 hp kit. Under normal, everyday driving conditions, the car is as docile as Grandma's Buick. Push the throttle hard and be prepared for an E-ticket ride. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the link Tob. That was a really excellent write up with pics that you did! Oh...a few bumps along the way with the install...that 2X4 "adjustment" you made, did make me cringe - but it all worked out and you can't see that part of the firewall with the new supercharger installed anyway.

One question I have - once you loaded the pro-cal tune...was there a difference in pedal response in normal, everyday driving - meaning when you're not producing boost? I would think that there would have to be with the new trottle body/improved airflow, etc?

I have read tht 0 to 60 and quarter mile time improve with this upgrade. Does anyone have any figures?

Due to the fact that I will also be installing an aluminum drive shaft (recommendation from a friend), my car will be in the shop for a 2-day period.

Car wont' be tracked, but would like to stay on the safe side. Can't wait to put m foot in it. :)

Archived