TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just noticed that Motorcraft has not only a 5W-20 synthetic blend but also a HIGH MILEAGE 5W-20 synthetic blend. Wonder if either is more advantageous for our engines?

You could check reviews but I have used mobil 1 for years never a problem and dabble with royal purple. It really comes down to what is said and reviewed about a product. I always do a full check of anything that is bought of importance like cheap diapers is a no no!! :hysterical: I use to mess with my wife and tell her the baby's diaper can go another round.

Good luck

I never thought high mileage oil was good idea. If you're engine is worn, it would need repair, not magical oil. To my knowledge the oil is full of seal conditioners, or stuff that makes them expand. I highly doubt your SGT has over 80k miles to even worry about it.

I've tried many different oils. Here's what I've learned. Mobil 1 is a excellent oil, but is expensive. Castrol Syntec, fully synthetic, is the best bank for the buck, so to speak. Redline oil is good, but hard to find locally and still expensive. Motorcraft full synthetic or blend is good, nothing wrong with it. Kendall oil is good, but hard to find. Valvoline is okay, but still uses some wax agents. Pennzoil is junk, using a lot of wax agents. Royal Purple is junk, uses water based coloring agents.

I never thought high mileage oil was good idea. If you're engine is worn, it would need repair, not magical oil. To my knowledge the oil is full of seal conditioners, or stuff that makes them expand. I highly doubt your SGT has over 80k miles to even worry about it.

I've tried many different oils. Here's what I've learned. Mobil 1 is a excellent oil, but is expensive. Castrol Syntec, fully synthetic, is the best bank for the buck, so to speak. Redline oil is good, but hard to find locally and still expensive. Motorcraft full synthetic or blend is good, nothing wrong with it. Kendall oil is good, but hard to find. Valvoline is okay, but still uses some wax agents. Pennzoil is junk, using a lot of wax agents. Royal Purple is junk, uses water based coloring agents.

I have read that Mobil 1 fails the series IV test for wear. That is why Castrol, Quaker State, and all the others started advertising that their oils lasted 4-8x longer than Mobil 1. Google for more results.

I must admit I am somewhat impressed with the specs re Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend. At Wal Mart it is cheaper than the major brands conventional oil.

Regarding Mobil 1, that's the first I've heard about failing any wear test. Heck, the Dodge Viper had a Mobil 1 oil requirement printed on the oil cap.

Did the viper have a requirement or a recommendation? Usually if it is a requirement then the dealer would have to provide. Re to Moss Ferguson Act. Usually they have to meet the specs but can use any oil that meets the specs.

Google Mobil ! fails wear test or IV test.

I use Royal Purple in my all my play vehicles, I use Schaefer's in the cars that I race.

Did the viper have a requirement or a recommendation? Usually if it is a requirement then the dealer would have to provide. Re to Moss Ferguson Act. Usually they have to meet the specs but can use any oil that meets the specs.

Google Mobil ! fails wear test or IV test.

I'll have to look into that info . Thanks

apparently Mobil 1 is failing the wear tests and that issue has been jumped on by valvoline, quaker state, Pennzoil, Castrol and others. But there is the whole dino v synthetic oil controversy. I know an exceptional engine builder that has a theory, supported by others, that synthetic oil does not break down due to heat because it does NOT absorb the heat, remaining unaffected by heat. Therefore the synthetic oil lasts longer because it is immune to the breakdown due to heat. However, because it does not absorb the heat it does NOT transfer the heat and that is one of the primary functions of oil. Oil is not just there to lubricate but also to absorb and transfer heat. This theory was supported due to a lawsuit against Mobil 1 when it tried to enter the market for air cooled airplane engines and the engines failed. Mobil 1 lost the lawsuit and paid out big time. If this is true then there really is advantages to dino or dino/syntetic blend oils. It all depends upon the additive package. I am using a little known oil known as Ultra Lux 110 and it has liquid moly to reduce friction and reduce heat. It is used in commercial v ehicles and in racing and has proven to do very, very, well.

Archived