TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Grill Housing not lining up!

hello all!

I have gotten my whole grill and housing out of my SGT to put in my new SGT grill housing. The holes and support posts on the new housing don't line up and the grill doesn't fit inside the housing either. I have already scrached up the new housing trying to get it to fit properly. I am so frustrated right now. Also there is no hardware with the new housing...am I supposed to just use the old stuff? That doesn't look like a good idea. Do you think I got a bad grill housing or is there some trick to getting this to fit? Just like 99% of the rest of the parts from the Shelby Store, this didn't come with any instructions either.

I have searched everywhere on the forums already...I thougth I saw a thread about this somewhere but I can't find it now...

any help is welcomed...Thank you!

:censored::censored::censored: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :shrug::shrug::shrug: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So, you took out the grille insert off of the old housing, which was a cut up GT grille, right? I know SAI did this to many of the first cars. And, you were trying to put the old insert into the new housing, right? The posts should line up. However, I found that the new housings are a very tight fit into the bumper opening.

Compare the two pictures. The black one has the old housing, while the orange one has the new housing.

post-24817-0-55947200-1305387602_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-65619300-1305387763_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-55947200-1305387602_thumb.jpg

post-24817-0-65619300-1305387763_thumb.jpg

So, you took out the grille insert off of the old housing, which was a cut up GT grille, right? I know SAI did this to many of the first cars. And, you were trying to put the old insert into the new housing, right? The posts should line up. However, I found that the new housings are a very tight fit into the bumper opening.

Compare the two pictures. The black one has the old housing, while the orange one has the new housing.

Tell us about the lower driving lights.on the orange SGT

Same issues with the SPP grill insert I purchased a couple of month ago

I asked for assistance from SPP and did receive 3 emails each from a different person.

One sent me a hardware kit which is 4 small ready rods with 4 nuts, other than being longer these were no different than what was already installed.

Really no useful help from SPP so took it on my own:

First I used a silver sharpie to mark where the holes should be aligned

Next I used a small die grinder bit along with a small round file (like used to sharpen chain saws) to elongate the holes

My goal was to reshape the holes so that the bases where the ready rods attach to the billet grill would fit into the plastic SPP insert

However, there wasn't enough material available on the plastic insert to accomplish this

So I settled for removing enough material so that the 4 ready rods would fit into the grill insert

Given the mounting holes were now larger than the star washers on the nuts, I picked up some small stainless steel washers.

Ended up using 2 per hole with 1 between the grill & the insert to keep everything at the same spacing and 1 between insert & the star washer / nut

Finally I used black zip ties to snug the insert to the grill, a couple in the center and 1 on each end

Kind of Rube Goldberg approach, but in the end it turned out ok

I'm just disappointed that the fit & finish was poor direct from SPP

Added a couple of pics of fitment issues before my mods

My link

My link

If you had the old grille with the cutup stock grille behind the billet grille be sure and remove the whole thing. There should be tabs in fascia where the new surround will snap in. After that you can insert the new billet grille that goes with the surround piece and you should be good to go.

Archived