TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil separator question

I see that numerous companies sell oil separators for both the passenger and driver side of the engine. Do you really need to run with both or is one sufficient? I would think that one would be enough, but I wanted to see if anyone else has a different opinion.

I'm only running one as i was told the driver's side will not really produce much if any oil, but the passenger's side with. So i put one on the passenger's side. Easy install and looks OEM.

What's the down side to not running one at all ?

Oil in your intake system. This will build up on the intercooler makeing it less effective. The one I think is more important is if you stab the gas, you can get a rush of oil vapor from the crank case and into the intake, mixing with the air/gas charge and effectively lowering (momentarily) the octane level of the charge which can cause detonation which is no good for any motor let alone a boosted application. I believe there are more negitives but these I feel are the major concerns.

I run one on the passenger side and collect about a teaspoon every 100 miles. I have not bothered with the driver side because I have yet to see any oil steaking inside the CAI or on the throttle body.

A teaspoon per 100 miles?

I'm not trying to upset the apple cart here but a teaspoon ? That doesn't raise any red flags for me......I'm just saying.

Until someone can come in here and explain to me how a teaspoon of oil getting into the intake system during 100 miles of use is bad.....I just don't get the need for an oil separator.

I'm not trying to upset the apple cart here but a teaspoon ? That doesn't raise any red flags for me......I'm just saying.

Until someone can come in here and explain to me how a teaspoon of oil getting into the intake system during 100 miles of use is bad.....I just don't get the need for an oil separator.

It gums up the intercooler sitting under the blower.

Bay.jpg

You're right, its not that much. Broken down, thats about 1 quart every 20k miles , which doesn't sound that bad but it was pics like the one posted by 03 DSG SNAKE that made me consider a seperator. Between helping to keep the intake track clean and reducing the potential for pinging, that was reason enough for me.

When you said apple cart, I thought of this:

Apple-Krate1970.jpg

Schwinn Apple Cart, that bike was the sh*t! That 5-speed-suicide-nut-cruncher-shifter maybe wasn't the best idea but it looked cool!!!

I run one on the passenger side and collect about a teaspoon every 100 miles. I have not bothered with the driver side because I have yet to see any oil steaking inside the CAI or on the throttle body.

What kind of catch can do you have? I had a Mike Norris catch can installed at one time and it extracted the same amount ... 1 tsp per 100 miles.

That picture of the Schwin Apple Cart brings back memories of days long ago. I had a friend who used to ride wheelies on his red Apple cart all the way down the street.

It gums up the intercooler sitting under the blower.

Bay.jpg

Yikes!! That looks nasty. Ok, I've seen these catch cans for sale. Who has one of the nicest looking/performing cans??? I don't have one on mine to date. When changing my stock supercharger to the TVS, I noticed oil in the intake of the elbow and the SC. That would have been from the drivers side, correct?

Here's a photo of it.

IMG_6146.jpg

You're right, its not that much. Broken down, thats about 1 quart every 20k miles , which doesn't sound that bad but it was pics like the one posted by 03 DSG SNAKE that made me consider a seperator. Between helping to keep the intake track clean and reducing the potential for pinging, that was reason enough for me.

Apple-Krate1970.jpg

Schwinn Apple Cart, that bike was the sh*t! That 5-speed-suicide-nut-cruncher-shifter maybe wasn't the best idea but it looked cool!!!

I had a bike just like that when I was a kid 428cj

I guess after seeing the pics of the intercooler, it's not a bad idea to install one.

Where did you guys get your oil separator from ?

Any pics of the installs?

Gary: What did your intercooler look like when you installed the TVS ?

I went with UPR billet can: www.uprproducts.com/ Installed the paasenger side only.

Instructions are on website. I check it every oil change and always have a few teaspoons of oil.

Fred

I guess after seeing the pics of the intercooler, it's not a bad idea to install one.

Where did you guys get your oil separator from ?

Any pics of the installs?

Gary: What did your intercooler look like when you installed the TVS ?

My intercooler looked brand new, but I only had about 3500 miles on the car...

IMG_6153.jpg

You can check for yourself - just remove the driver's side hose and check for wetness (oil). Mine has been dry, but the passenger side collects enough oil that a separator is definitely worth installing. I got mine at home depot. No problems with heat and the acrylic bowl. The bowl makes it easy to see when to empty. You can see my separator hiding under the STB.

P1010004.JPG

P1010004.JPG

I got mime from JLT. Looks totally OEM and 5 min install for each one.

I'm "thinking" this should let you see my passenger side. I've yet to totally figure out how to share pics in my Gallery - Passenger Side

But, if that does not pull it up, I have drivers and passenger's side in my Gallery

Apple-Krate1970.jpg

I thought it was an Apple Krate, not an Apple Cart. My mom went on her own without my dad and I ended up with a Schwinn Lemon Peeler... it was yellow and I took a bunch of S**t from my buddies. Still waaaaaaaaaay cooler than any of them had.

Here's a thread a started a while back on catch cans and how they work. If you follow the links in the thread, it will take you to Conceptual Polymers website where you can read about how the cans function to clean out that oily mess from going back into the engine. I went with their can and have been very satisfied with it.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54578-oil-separators-or-catch-cans/page__p__927918__fromsearch__1#entry927918

And here is an update to that thread depicting the oil accumulated in the catch can after 600 miles.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61734-oil-separator-catch-can-an-update/page__p__1050330__fromsearch__1#entry1050330

Archived