TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Griggs GR40ST is it worth the money

Lucus42

I just bought a 2009 GT500 that was in a wreck (about $4k of body damage). I'm in the military and don't make a lot of money so I buy stuff that needs work then do the work my self. I have a 65 stang that I plan on selling to pay for the parts to fix and upgrade my 09. I'm looking for a good suspension system that I can road and drag race. I like the Griggs because it drops a lot of weight from the car and from what I have read makes it handle really well, upping the cornering by .3Gs. I have read that the Griggs suspension isn't as tough as the MM, and Steda systems. Does any one have either of these systems and what do you think about them, what are the pros and cons?

I know nothing about his previous designs, but Bruce's S197 suspension parts have been great (starting my 5th season with zero reliability issues). My car was the first GT500 to get the Griggs setup, and I've no regrets.

If you do opt for the SLA, one suggestion is to use the old SN95 spindles though. That is the only part failure that I am personally aware of. And, BTW, you don't save that much weight; maybe a total of 30# off the front end with the SLA. But the handling is night & day from a stock 07-09 OE setup.

The only negative, if you care about it at all, is an increase in NVH with the heim joint parts out back. But then again, I've got their most aggressive, track oriented parts on mine.

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm going to order one of their kits. What breaks do you suggest? Are the Griggs breaks good?

Lucus

I've stayed with the Brembo calipers and replaced the rotors and pads. That has worked just fine for me on track. On the street, the only reason to upgrade the brakes is for "Bling". Check with Bruce to see if he still has any sets left. I'm currently using PF01 pads on the track, but they're too aggressive for the street. You'ld be replacing rotor rings every oil change :hysterical:

They went through some tough times the past two years, just like some of us around here :banghead:

But my installer says that he has been speaking directly with Bruce and John and that they have restarted production and should be shipping new parts within a few weeks. I will let you know if I hear anything differently in the coming days. He is supposed to be installing several torque arms on cars, hopefully before the Mid-America event up the turnpike in Tulsa next month.

They went through some tough times the past two years, just like some of us around here :banghead:

But my installer says that he has been speaking directly with Bruce and John and that they have restarted production and should be shipping new parts within a few weeks. I will let you know if I hear anything differently in the coming days. He is supposed to be installing several torque arms on cars, hopefully before the Mid-America event up the turnpike in Tulsa next month.

I spoke to John last week and he just sent out a part i needed...they are still in busines. if you want the best...griggs all the way!

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to start saving for the Griggs kit. Do you think the ST kit is worth the price difference over the SS kit? Of should I just save the money and get the SS kit?

Lucus

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to start saving for the Griggs kit. Do you think the ST kit is worth the price difference over the SS kit? Of should I just save the money and get the SS kit?

Lucus

Being the #1 Griggs Dealer in the U.S. I can assure you that they are in business and they have a lot going on. I currently have 10 systems on order.

The best part of the the Griggs Suspension is how you can build the suspension as the funds permit or to your specific need. I have a number of customers that gradually add parts to their suspension as they build up to the complete SS chassis and in some instances TT and RT chassis's.

If you would like to discuss more about options and building the package please don't hesitate to contact me.

Van

www.revanracing.com

van@revanracing.com

561-445-7702

Archived