TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Coil-on-Plugs?

07SGT5687

It's looking like I might have to replace 1 or more of my CoPs and ran into the timeless debate over where aftermarket units are better or worse than stock.

I'm VERY tempted to go with the GMS Pro-Series SC's, but they are a bit spendy and I hear some people saying they are completely worthless. Other say they dyno'd 25rwhp on sc'd setups... The materials of the aftermarket units sure seem more substantial

So... what say you all?

It's looking like I might have to replace 1 or more of my CoPs and ran into the timeless debate over where aftermarket units are better or worse than stock.

I'm VERY tempted to go with the GMS Pro-Series SC's, but they are a bit spendy and I hear some people saying they are completely worthless. Other say they dyno'd 25rwhp on sc'd setups... The materials of the aftermarket units sure seem more substantial

So... what say you all?

Hey in the mod section we discussed this if you a search you can find it. Back then I pionted out in a mustang magazine that one magazine said GMS add 35hp another said 8hp. I just recently did a search on different coils on different forums. It comes down to Supercharges its worth it N/A with stock heads not worth it. GMS states a huge lightning bolt in windings !! Thats what they state before dropping those beans I would talk to them first but I would dyno the car before and after for that kind of cash. Ford coils are a good product and spend wisely. One thing I love about GMS if you look at their subframe connectors you cant get the same one for way less from anyone else. Name brand or generic it only applys when you take meds that make you happy !!! :hysterical::rant2: I can;t decide if I'm happy or mad

I say that unless you want to eventually build a short block to hold the power, you don't need any gains from any other parts... I think the answer is in your future plans, not what will help at the current level. So what's the plan???? :)

Hey in the mod section we discussed this if you a search you can find it. Back then I pionted out in a mustang magazine that one magazine said GMS add 35hp another said 8hp. I just recently did a search on different coils on different forums. It comes down to Supercharges its worth it N/A with stock heads not worth it. GMS states a huge lightning bolt in windings !! Thats what they state before dropping those beans I would talk to them first but I would dyno the car before and after for that kind of cash. Ford coils are a good product and spend wisely. One thing I love about GMS if you look at their subframe connectors you cant get the same one for way less from anyone else. Name brand or generic it only applys when you take meds that make you happy !!! :hysterical::rant2: I can;t decide if I'm happy or mad

Wow... umm... ok. I'll take the "superchargers, it's worth it" part, but the rest... not sure what to make of it.

I say that unless you want to eventually build a short block to hold the power, you don't need any gains from any other parts... I think the answer is in your future plans, not what will help at the current level. So what's the plan???? :)

Ya, the plan is for the current setup to get my just up to and maybe over 500rwhp. Not sure if that's happening at present though. And if I need to replace 2 COPs, I might as well replace the whole set... and if I'm replacing the whole set, why not go with an aftermarket set that adds "35 HP"... that's where my head is at anyway. More of a "might as well" mod.

I've just seen so much polarizing reviews/info on these that I'm really not sure if the 25-35HP is legit.

I suppose if you have the money, it wouldn't hurt, you can always run a larger pulley to back off a pound of boost if they do happen to push your rwhp past the comfort level.

Do the cop's require a new tune? It'd be tough for me to think they add power if no new tune is required to make use of whatever benefits they offer.....

I suppose if you have the money, it wouldn't hurt, you can always run a larger pulley to back off a pound of boost if they do happen to push your rwhp past the comfort level.

Do the cop's require a new tune? It'd be tough for me to think they add power if no new tune is required to make use of whatever benefits they offer.....

Judging by the elevation I'm at, I'm probably already going to be down 2-3psi so a little more bump might not be so much of an issue "up here".

As for the tune, GMS says not tune is required. I'm told it's not a power added as much as a power "free'er"... think underdrive pulleys. Doesn't make more power, just frees up wasted power via overheated and inefficient coils. Their words not mine. I believe it so far... just concerned there are so many people that swear it's BS. :headscratch:

Judging by the elevation I'm at, I'm probably already going to be down 2-3psi so a little more bump might not be so much of an issue "up here".

As for the tune, GMS says not tune is required. I'm told it's not a power added as much as a power "free'er"... think underdrive pulleys. Doesn't make more power, just frees up wasted power via overheated and inefficient coils. Their words not mine. I believe it so far... just concerned there are so many people that swear it's BS. :headscratch:

If you need to replace 2 COP's then go for it But I rather buy MSD never had a problem with there products AS far as the rest I was saying name brand parts aren't as good but people buy for the name.

Archived